Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

3D Printing for great justice. Now with a shoddy video!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 10:29 - 24 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things that I thought I'd bring to BCF's attention.

One; yes, I can definitely do the sound horn for the iPhones, since Apple have thoughtfully provided the physical dimensions for them.

Two; I'm working on a hose routing design that should work out a lot cheaper than the alloy clips people tend to sell these days. It'll include a couple of P-clips, and a hose separator, too. I need to work out the exact cost, but it should come up pretty cheap, as well as easy to produce.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8056/8118530155_77e21c7779_z.jpg
First prototype image: it'll be subject to revision, obviously, but the real advantage of this over the commercially available ones is that I can modify it to your specific parameters, based on hose dimensions and bolt size. Obviously, it still requires the split to be able to form the compression fitting (that's something I'll get sorted today), but the diagram illustrates it well enough. I'm not proposing that this is an all-new design; it's a bog standard P-clip, but since it can be defined by the end user, it may well be of greater utility to some people.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8187/8118599846_8f62e59930_z.jpg
This is the hose routing thing I was on about: as opposed to being reliant on a bolt, this design uses a zip tie, for general cheapness, and because I tend to have more zip ties lying around than I do bolts.

The colour conventions that I'm using is blue for the brake lines, red for the fixings, in case anyone was struggling with that Wink

Third and finally; This is my 5000th post. I shall wave a tiny flag of joy Smile

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:33 - 24 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half way to super spammer Shocked Keep up the work Laughing

I've still not got used to designing 3d stuff, so I envy you Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:38 - 24 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wall o' text incoming...

##Paddy## wrote:
Half way to super spammer Shocked
Roughly my thoughts Laughing
##Paddy## wrote:
I've still not got used to designing 3d stuff, so I envy you Laughing

It's not as complex as you think it is. At least, that's the thing that I learned pretty early on; if you can do stuff like Logo, then you can do stuff like OpenSCAD, which is what I designed these things in. It's just a matter of adjusting your thought process to accommodate 'above' and 'below', as well as the standard forward, backward, left and right movements. The long numerical sequences are just a case of plotting a shape on a 3D grid. In the interests of showing that I'm not just trying to gloss over it, I'll post the code used to make the hoseclip, and do a quick walkthrough; there really isn't much to it.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8049/8118849648_e940fcf526_z.jpg

This is the complete code (it's not particularly well-written, but it works):
Code:
hoseDia=7.5;
hoseRad=hoseDia/2;
outerRad=hoseRad+2;

module clipbase()
{
   cylinder(h=10,r=outerRad,$fn=60);
   cube([outerRad,(outerRad*2.5),10]);
}
module clip()
{
   difference()
   {
      clipbase();
      translate([0,0,-4])cylinder(h=18,r=hoseRad,$fn=40);
      translate([-2,outerRad*1.75,5])rotate([0,90,0])cylinder(h=10,r=2.5,$fn=40);
      translate([1.75,0,-1])cube([2,16,12]);}}

clip();

Code:
hoseDia=7.5;
hoseRad=hoseDia/2;
outerRad=hoseRad+2;

This is just an easy way of pseudo-dynamically* defining the diameters of the bits that are surrounding the hose; you can redefine the whole shape very efficiently if you just change the hoseDia measurement. My brake lines are 7.5mm in diameter, so this works for them; if, however, someone had stock hoses (which are, as we know, thicker) and wanted one of these, I could just change the one number, and it'd fit.

Code:
module clipbase()
{
   cylinder(h=10,r=outerRad,$fn=60);
   cube([outerRad,(outerRad*2.5),10]);
}

OK - so this defines the function 'clipbase', which is the basic form of the thing; specifically, the base cylinder and cuboid that define the P-clip's shape. If I just render the clipbase module, the output resembles a really basic 'P' shape, like so:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8327/8118866560_08356f2df6_z.jpg
The next bit is a little more complex, but not by much.
Code:
module clip()
{
   difference()
   {
      clipbase();
      translate([-2,outerRad*1.75,5])rotate([0,90,0])cylinder(h=10,r=2.5,$fn=40);
      translate([1.75,0,-1])cube([2,16,12]);}}

clip();

I'll move around a little bit while going through this section, just for the sake of not overwhelming people who genuinely are finding this hard to follow.
Code:

This statement simply breaks down into the following instructions: 'move to 0,0,-4 (i.e. down by four steps)' and 'make a cylinder here, of these dimensions'. The cylinder dimensions are defined as being 18 steps (mm) high, and having a radius that's equal to hoseRad, which was previously defined as being half the value of hoseDia.

The $fn=40 is a setting that determines the number of faces the cylinder has; in this case, in order to make it look nice and smooth, it's set to 40. A useful misuse of this is use circles and cylinders as a replacement for hexagons, by setting them to have 6 faces. Saves on a whole bunch of maths, since I can't be bothered to define a hexagon programmatically, if I can avoid it.

The following two lines are more of the same, although one of them has got a rotate command thrown in for good measure; as one would probably expect, the rotation is measured in degrees, and is arranged in the exact same x/y/z format.

When working with rotation and translation commands, it's worth taking note of the order in which you do so, since precedence is quite important with this sort of thing. For example, if I swapped around the placement of the rotate() and translate() commands on that line, this is what I get:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8323/8118913018_55375d1751_z.jpg
As you can see, the red cylinder completely fails to intersect the flat area, and as such, is totally useless for acting as a 'drill' for the screwhole that'll allow the end user to attach the P-clip to their forks or whatever.

Now, the reason I jumped past the difference() part, was that I wanted people to have an idea as to what was happening just after it first. Now that we understand that all I've done is define a few more simple shapes, I can explain what difference() is, and how it does what it does. Difference() allows me to define a shape that I want removed from another shape. In this case, I want it to take the shape clipbase() (the original 'P' shape), and then cut the following two cylinders and cuboid out of that. While that comes across as a very simple summary (and it is), it would've been properly difficult to get across exactly what it was cutting out of the original shape, if I hadn't at least tried to go over what was following it. To clarify, this is the same bit of code, but with the difference() function commented out:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8463/8118925226_2a3dc0f582_z.jpg

For those who are interested, the reason that the last two images are coloured in is that it's easier for me to keep track of what's going on with the various shapes. It's a bit OTT for a simple form like this, but when they start to get more complex (as the hose separator started to), it's a really easy way of differentiating what you're working on from what you've already finished.

*I say pseudo-dynamic, because this behaves like a batch-processed language; it can't change the values of variables on the fly, they all have to be done prior to compilation.

Hobgoblin
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:53 - 24 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your doing well with this mate!

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:15 - 24 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8164/7808911138_a3f101a711_z.jpg
Not bad for a machine that's only a week and a half old.

So what does it do apart from make a Downs Syndrome Yoda?
00:32:08 Blau Zedong: yes, i am a massive CB400 fan and collector
00:33:00 Blau Zedong: the CB400 is my favourite road bike

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 17:35 - 24 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

pits wrote:
nowhere.elysium wrote:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8164/7808911138_a3f101a711_z.jpg
Not bad for a machine that's only a week and a half old.

So what does it do apart from make a Downs Syndrome Yoda?

It can make a machine that'll make a bigger Downs Syndrome Yoda. That work for you? Laughing

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:34 - 25 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right: I've been having a crap run of prints of late, so I decided to try and actually do something about the bed-levelling situation.
As such, I present to you the first half of the dial gauge mount for bed levelling on a RepRap Huxley. Once I've got the other half of it sorted, I'll post it all to thingiverse, as well as trying to get it printed up tonight (although I've had no end of arseache from the printer this evening)
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8048/8122993061_f27142eac2_z.jpg

The dial gauge drops into the round section facing up, and the two things at the top are the locking tabs; the spur on the bottom of those slots into the back of the mount, allowing you to secure the dial gauge. Assembled, it looks like this (from the back):
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8044/8123030833_9bb96a16ae_z.jpg

I'll report back when I've got the rest of the gauge mount designed properly.

:edit: bugger, I positioned the two tabs the wrong way round. They're meant to be rotated 180 degrees along the length of them; the raised cylinders are meant to face inwards, basically.

beast rider
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:54 - 25 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:

One; yes, I can definitely do the sound horn for the iPhones, since Apple have thoughtfully provided the physical dimensions for them.

Damn it and i was just getting round to doing the dimensions for you Rolling Eyes

Only kidding, i have no idea what you asked for Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Redoko
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:07 - 25 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

More 3D.

https://i.somethingawful.com/forumsystem/emoticons/emot-fappery.gif
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:52 - 26 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redoko wrote:
More 3D.

Very well: I've got a workable (if somewhat inelegant) mount designed for it now, too.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8050/8125639898_a0014f0f72_z.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8189/8125640062_1f558bd13d_z.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8050/8125640020_79e84675be_z.jpg
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8185/8125618573_966c174549_z.jpg
The code's even cruder than the design, so I'm not posting that Embarassed

Killer Rat
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:39 - 27 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to manufacture personalised ICE dogtags and make a profit considering the size of dogtags to be quite small?

If so, i would buy one from you compared to spending £10 at local cobblers.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:44 - 27 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting idea. I'm not sure how well it'd work, given that stamped metal is a much easier method for conveying text than printed plastic is, but I might give it a shot.

Incidentally...
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8331/8128140301_93678ca827_z.jpg
It's a touch on the tight side for the dial gauge I have, but nothing that a dremel can't sort. I've managed to get the bed level to a functional point, but it's still not properly precisely calibrated. Once I've tried out the dial gauge mount, I'll be able to line it up properly. Replacing the Kapton tape also helped quite a bit Doh!

I'm currently printing something that requires a fair old level of precision, so I'm curious to see how well it comes out.

Killer Rat
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:52 - 27 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know how your bank funds are, but for me if i had a 3d printer, i'd have to look at cheap ways to make it pay and keep practising.

Dogtags.
keyrings.
Any small personalised shit (if the printer can do literate text)

Is the plastic brittle or will you be able to make fairings down the line?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 21:04 - 27 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provided your fairing panels are all smaller than 140*140*100mm, then yeah, sure Laughing

I do take commissions, but I'm not going to aggravate my electric bill by doing tat for people. If you have a design, I'll print it, but don't expect me to mass-produce keyrings unless there's a specific demand.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 27 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Provided your fairing panels are all smaller than 140*140*100mm, then yeah, sure Laughing

I do take commissions, but I'm not going to aggravate my electric bill by doing tat for people. If you have a design, I'll print it, but don't expect me to mass-produce keyrings unless there's a specific demand.

You need to print a bigger printer. Very Happy

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 22:34 - 27 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:
You need to print a bigger printer. Very Happy

Then I'll need a bigger flat Laughing

I might start work on a Rostock after Christmas; if I do, I'll be sure to post build progress and so forth.

lihp
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 28 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:

Then I'll need a bigger flat Laughing

Print One?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 19:05 - 31 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experimenting with lithographs at the moment.
I found an stl file of one on Thingiverse, and I'm going to have a crack at doing one myself in the not-too distant future.

Just thought I should show off the results, though:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8333/8142206764_6a7fb4f122_z.jpg
Not much to look at yet, but hold it up to a light source and...
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8474/8142206248_f07e3b190e_z.jpg

The source image is this:
https://thingiverse-production.s3.amazonaws.com/renders/0a/9f/1c/bb/e1/Alan_Turin_Original_display_medium.jpg

Obviously, this works better with a brighter light source, so for the one that I'm going to try and do, I'll also be making a small lightbox to accommodate it.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:10 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that a few of you have seen just how ghetto my garage lighting is first-hand, but for the rest of you, here's a photo, just to emphasise the point:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8192/8148029959_6be860338a_z.jpg

Anyway; I've been tidying up the garage a bit today, and I decided that I'd use my 3D printing powers for the forces of good, and make a light fitting, which will not only look better than the Blue Peter-esque abomination that's hanging off the ceiling at the moment, but it'll also aim the lights into useful directions.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8045/8148471216_68eb80002a_z.jpg
Mock-up of the unit with lights fitted.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8192/8148471332_c48a943d62_z.jpg
Unit without lights fitted.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8334/8148471266_b9d44b8af7_z.jpg
Same again, but from above, showing the cable route that's held against the ceiling.
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8190/8148470692_c3ccaa770b_z.jpg
And the print, about 55% complete.

trisers
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:31 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total newb to anything like this but i deal with other forms of technology so finding this compelling reading!

Just a thought so shoot me down for my ignorance but isn't is possible to use a bit of elegant coding to make that fitting perfectly round?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 22:36 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

trisers wrote:
isn't is possible to use a bit of elegant coding to make that fitting perfectly round?

Yup, all it'd require was for me to change $fn=20 to something like $fn=80, and it'd smooth right down. Just couldn't be arsed to, really. Laughing

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.imgur.com/AGEQN.jpg

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:06 - 02 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium, definition; a person who finds it easier to print a light fitting rather than nip down to B&Q. Laughing

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 20:10 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.M. wrote:
nowhere.elysium, definition; a person who finds it easier to print a light fitting rather than nip down to B&Q. Laughing

Man, light fittings are expensive, and they never stock the ones that I want, so screw their profit margins, I'mma make my own.

Also:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7273/8158617046_82a324edbd_z.jpg
3D Printing pseudo-4D forms.

Not bad for a 0.5mm printhead. I'm sure I can do better with a 0.3, which I might upgrade to at some point. Depends on how far I get with the Rostock build, I guess.

Blackwolf
Burgerfist

PostPosted: 20:19 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love you man!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 175 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 17 of 20