Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

3D Printing for great justice. Now with a shoddy video!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 12:47 - 07 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to have a crack at doing some brush guards. I'm reckoning that I should be able to do a printable multi-part set.

They won't be amazingly strong, but the point is to primarily deflect wind/small bits of shrapnel/bugs, not large lumps of foliage/landscape.

More later.

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 07 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
I'm going to have a crack at doing some brush guards. I'm reckoning that I should be able to do a printable multi-part set.

They won't be amazingly strong, but the point is to primarily deflect wind/small bits of shrapnel/bugs, not large lumps of foliage/landscape.

More later.

What about printing some lay-up tools for fibreglass guards instead? It's a much better use of the process, IMO, as they'll be piss weak if you directly print the finished part.

Moulds, jigs and lay-up tools are a far better use of 3D printing than making proper components.

You need SLS for that Wink

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 14:39 - 07 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:
What about printing some lay-up tools for fibreglass guards instead? It's a much better use of the process, IMO, as they'll be piss weak if you directly print the finished part.

Moulds, jigs and lay-up tools are a far better use of 3D printing than making proper components.

You need SLS for that Wink

Not a bad idea, but I don't have the means/space to work with fibreglass. I was intending to use printed parts for the framework, with lasercut plates to do the actual wind deflection; as I say, it's not for proper off-road use. I think the most 'hardcore' bike that this is likely to go on is either my SV or my OH's CBF125.

And yes, SLS would indeed be preferable, but FDM is the best I've got, so I'm going to thrash it to within an inch of its existence, for no reason other than 'because I can' Laughing

If we ever get a second lasercutter at work, I'm tempted to try and coerce it into functioning as an SLS machine, but it's not exactly going to be world-class.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:08 - 12 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd sex-up the thread a wee bit.

https://www.sonicftp.com/122943/images/odd-guitars-atom-3d.jpg

https://www.sonicstate.com/amped/2012/11/11/interview-with-3d-guitar-builder-olaf-diegel-of-odd-guitars/

The list of applications gets mind boggling. Cool

/rude intrusion

see what I nearly did there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 13:23 - 15 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a damn fine looking geetar Pat. I've been toying with the idea of printing a ukelele for a couple of weeks now; I think when I've got the big printer built and running, I might just do that.

In other news, I've got the printing demonstration in an hour and a half, and I've just found out that for some reason, the printer is really, really slow when I'm running it from a mac. This is after spending an hour this morning getting it to even talk t the printer. So much for 'it just works'.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:30 - 15 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
That's a damn fine looking geetar Pat. I've been toying with the idea of printing a ukelele for a couple of weeks now; I think when I've got the big printer built and running, I might just do that.

In other news, I've got the printing demonstration in an hour and a half, and I've just found out that for some reason, the printer is really, really slow when I'm running it from a mac. This is after spending an hour this morning getting it to even talk t the printer. So much for 'it just works'.

would it be possible to use it in reverse to 3d scan something in and make copies?

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:33 - 15 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make a hand held 3D scanner fairly easily using an Xbox Kinect.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 18:40 - 15 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either what Aff said, or you can use a laser level with a webcam, and some kind of rotary base for the object.

Blackwolf
Burgerfist

PostPosted: 17:02 - 17 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next project?

https://www.dreams.me.vt.edu/dreamvendor/index.html

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:28 - 30 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:
Either what Aff said, or you can use a laser level with a webcam, and some kind of rotary base for the object.

This sounds interesting (and the post above) any more information on this kinda thing?

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 15:38 - 30 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnPhonEh wrote:
3D Scanning?

Check Thingiverse, Hackaday, Instructables or any other DIY geekery-style site; they're chock full of ideas and designs for them.

The design I'm going to likely go with will have a geared stepper motor to control the turntable, a pair of lasers from those cheapo laser levels, and a pair of webcams. If I were to try and scan larger objects, then I'd probably go with one of the Kinect designs instead, but I'd rather spend days building a thing than pay £50 for it, if I can Laughing

mistergixer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 06 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should take a read of the article below:

3D printers 'a total pile of shit'

Quote:

Logan admitted that 3D printers could change everything, as long as we all want to live in a world where only eight people have a job and we all want to buy things that are not very good.

Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 06 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinect 3d scanning is pants. Currently laser scanning and SLS printing are the only way to get good results and i can imagine that in the future our standards will only get higher.

https://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/11/nasa-sls-selective-laser-melting.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 06 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frost wrote:
Currently laser scanning and SLS printing are the only way to get good results and i can imagine that in the future our standards will only get higher.

https://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2012/11/nasa-sls-selective-laser-melting.jpg

Linky linky: https://www.nasa.gov/exploration/systems/sls/selective_melting.html

Very interesting. Technology only gets better Very Happy

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 07 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a few different ones at uni. the oldest one was a liquid one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbOIId7DAM4

We also has a powder one that would do plastic and aluminium.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6Px6RSL9Ac
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 17:42 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, remaining squarely in the 'stuff what I made out of bits I had' school of manufacturing, I present to you my latest effort: a replacement part for a set of Sony headphones.

The headphones that I'm repairing:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8482/8274286237_be986171db_z.jpg

The (out of focus) broken bit I was presented with:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8216/8275348142_653f93ed25_z.jpg

The model what I done produced:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8210/8274302379_8606c9daea_z.jpg

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8344/8275364324_7a73303da3_z.jpg

Aaaand the code that made it happen:
Code:
module arch()
{
   difference()
   {
      cylinder(r=30,h=6,$fn=120);
      cylinder(r=27.6,h=6,$fn=120);
      rotate([0,0,15])translate([-30,-32,0])cube([60,35,6]);
   }
}

module barrel()
{
   translate([-5,29,0])cube([10,8,6]);
      pinbarrel();
}

module pinbarrel()
{
   difference()
   {
      union()
      {
         translate([-7.3,40,3])rotate([0,90,0])cylinder(r=6,h=14.6,$fn=60);
         translate([-8.4,40,3])rotate([0,90,0])cylinder(r=4,h=16.8,$fn=60);
      }

for(i=[40:50])
      {
         translate([0,40,3])rotate([0,i*2,0])cylinder(r=1.5,h=18,$fn=120,center=true);
      }
   }
}

module pin()
{
   cylinder(r1=1.8,r2=1.6,h=3.7,$fn=60);
   translate([0,0,-2.4])cylinder(r=3,h=2.4,$fn=60);
}

module pinmount()
{
   rotate([0,90,15])translate([-3,3,-27.2])pin();
   rotate([0,-90,15])translate([3,3,-27.2])pin();
}

module headphone()
{
   arch();
   barrel();
   pinmount();
}

difference()
{
   translate([0,0,6])rotate([0,180,0])headphone();
   translate([-10,30,-6])cube([20,20,6]);
}

I dare say that this could be written much more efficiently, but I've spent a grand total of about 40 minutes on it, so polish doesn't even begin to enter into the discussion at this point.

I'm warming the printer up as I type this, so will hopefully have something to show before too long, although what with it having been offline for a couple of weeks, I may have to spend some time re-balancing the bed first.

:edit:
I need to re-scale the main arc of it a bit, but here's the first shot at a finished product:
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8488/8275444070_5db915d18e_z.jpg
It doesn't look quite as scabby as the picture suggests, though Laughing

orac
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:47 - 16 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistergixer wrote:
Maybe you should take a read of the article below:

3D printers 'a total pile of shit'

Quote:

Logan admitted that 3D printers could change everything, as long as we all want to live in a world where only eight people have a job and we all want to buy things that are not very good.

i take it that bloke didnt see the channel 5 programme making faces - they used scan data to reproduce parts of the skull to pre-design plates to fit in places like the eye socket (the only bit of it i saw was a girl who had piece of eye socket missing)

i.p.phrealy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:53 - 17 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

beast rider wrote:
Shocked I want one, I have no use for it or any idea how to get it to work but I want one.

Me Too!

oh and I want one of these too! https://www.sonicftp.com/122943/images/odd-guitars-atom-3d.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:47 - 28 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you able to manufacture me new YBR clocks covers for less than me buying them? (£20+ !)

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 22:52 - 28 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly. I'll need accurate measurements of them, though.

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:54 - 11 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Would you able to manufacture me new YBR clocks covers for less than me buying them? (£20+ !)

As soon as this is done, the world will be changed. Disruptive indeed.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:13 - 11 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordShaftesbury wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:

As soon as this is done, the world will be changed. Disruptive indeed.

I might measure them and see what he can do, saying that complicated measurements for little old me Laughing https://i.ebayimg.com/t/YBR125-CLOCKS-BOTTOM-COVER-CASE-/00/s/NTIwWDUwMA==/$(KGrHqZ,!n8E63WLp3ekBO6UI9Vt3g~~60_35.JPG is what they look like

I'd be surprised if you can produce that on the cheap though, probably better off looking on breakers/ebay

Gotta be better than the duct tape i'm using atm, wouldnt be so bad if the clocks weren't bloody white underneath so they scream LOOK AT ME, IVE CRASHED!

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 12:23 - 11 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
I might measure them and see what he can do, saying that complicated measurements for little old me Laughing

Well, if you can't measure it up, send me the knackered ones. Use a pushbike speedo in the interim; they're a fiver from Tesco, or thereabouts.

The actual cost of the plastic itself is pretty low; it's the amount of time that it takes which costs. having said that, that's a pretty simple shape, although I'll probably end up doing it in a couple of pieces, and seal it all together.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a bigger one be able to print bike fairings? Very Happy

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:27 - 16 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

nowhere.elysium wrote:

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8488/8275444070_5db915d18e_z.jpg
It doesn't look quite as scabby as the picture suggests, though Laughing

How strong is that plastic?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 99 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 18 of 20