Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorcycle luggage?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:07 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Motorcycle luggage? Reply with quote

Hi,

I intend to go long term camping/touring on my bike sometime in the next month. I'll be on the road, and stopping every night to pitch my sleeping bag/tent, and i'll be doing this for approximately 28 nights.

Since I won't be home for a good 3 weeks at least, I need some fairly large capacity luggage in order to carry the materials I need.

I have a somewhat medium top box, But I also need large panniers (soft are fine- just need to be large capacity), aswel as a big tank bag with a window for direction sheets, and also a large touring bag to sit on the back seat along witht the tent and sleeping bag.

What would you guys recommend? I'm in need of large, (but still fairly good value/cheap) soft luggage.

Regards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

_mjs_
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:14 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go on ebay and type in 'universal top box'. There's a company selling 56 litre ones for 38ish quid. Got one for my bike and it's fantastic, not at all cheap and nasty like I half expected and has immense storage capacity.

As for panniers, go to ebay again and buy some 'Oxford First' soft panniers. I think it was a company called Ghostbikes I got mine from for about 42 quid. These will give you another big chunk of storage but can't remember the specifics off the top of my head.

I've got a picture of my luggaged up £600 CB 500 parked next to a £8,000 Pan-Euro on my phone and the storage capacity looks to be about the same.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how you get on!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ericck
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:19 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a dry bag, they are cheap and waterproof (sold at go outdoors
etc).

I have it vertical as I don't like anything wider tham my bars but you can use smaller ones bungee'd on sideways.

Maybe not to everyones taste but they do the job Smile

https://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a408/ericck/Untitled.jpg
Previous Bikes: Yamaha FS1E, Mobylette Moped Thingy, Suzuki GS125, Kawasaki Zephyr 550, Kawasaki Zephyr 750, Kawasaki ER500, Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda CBR600F, Triumph Street Triple 675, Suzuki V Strom 650.

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:24 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxford Sovereign panniers are pretty large, and cant fault the tank bag. You could always ditch the top box and just use the rack, tie stuff to pillion seat and rack. only problem with that is you have nowhere properly waterproof and lockable, but you can fit alot more on.

moppy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:28 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I've just come back from a month touring around Europe, I'll share what I think on the matter.

- You want soft panniers. Will protect the back of your bike when you drop it on some gravel.
- Don't fill your luggage. Packing and unpacking becomes easily the most annoying thing, so massive panniers (I had some Oxford ones which did the job nicely) about 3/4 full is the way to go.
- Sleeping bag and tent in a dry bag and bungeed = Job done.

Try and get a magnetic tank bag which maybe becomes a rucksack. That way you can park up somewhere with all your important valuable shit in your tankbag, whip that off and go wondering around. I left the panniers on the bike even when I was camping out of sight because fuck it, they didnt have anything of any value in them.

Im-a-Ridah
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:49 - 31 Jul 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ericck wrote:
Try a dry bag, they are cheap and waterproof (sold at go outdoors
etc).

I have it vertical as I don't like anything wider tham my bars but you can use smaller ones bungee'd on sideways.

Maybe not to everyones taste but they do the job Smile

The main issue I'd have with that is I'd want the weight lower down. Panniers really add something here. Not sure if the'd be able to take that massive bag though!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:34 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done about 20,000 miles or so on 4 trips on the continent over the past year. Purpose-built soft luggage was mostly a waste of time; fiddly to attach, needing balanced packaging etc., not very secure even if you're just grabbing a break at a McD.

The best solution I've found so far is a sturdy gym bag - this style of thing: https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-North-Face-Duffel-Large/dp/B000P9EDVS

strapped on to rear grab handles with luggage straps like these: https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_172268_langId_-1_categoryId_165760.

Don't worry about the gym bag being waterproof. If it starts out waterproof, it won't stay waterproof. Instead, pack things that need water protection (which turns out to be almost everything) into rubble sacks available at DIY stores - basically plastic bags with the thickest plastic you can find - and put these inside the gym bag. The sacks double as compartmentalization, making packing far easier. I've gone through continuous rain for hours on end, and torrential downpours too, the kind of rain that looks like fog, you can only see the lights of the car in front of you, and everybody has slowed down to 30mph on the autobahn, and been glad to be able to put on dry clothes and boot up my dry laptop once I got to my hotel. A trick I use with my laptop is to put a wooden chopping board underneath it, wrap it in a rubble sack, then use the combination as the floor of the gym bag, so clothes etc. mediate all the force from the luggage straps. This works especially well with thin laptops like macbook airs.

You can probably stack more than one bag up, especially if you don't have a pillion, of course put lighter things in higher bags.

Hard side-panniers might be better for people who have the budget for it, and don't mind feeling like they're piloting a barge; I'm not a fan though. On some trips, I've used a topbox, very handy for transporting shopping for self-catered apartment or locking in helmet when parking up for a meal or sightsee, but I don't keep anything heavy in it at higher speeds - nothing more than waterproofs and spare bulbs.

Peirre oBollox
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:17 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ericck wrote:

The top of that bag must be over 5ft off the ground, so its not exactly low down keeping the COG low
Blurredman wrote:
Since I won't be home for a good 3 weeks at least, I need some fairly large capacity luggage in order to carry the materials I need.

You don`t need a lot of kit, especially for yourself, no more than 3 pairs of socks, underwear etc are required.
1 x clean
1 x dirty
1 x spare
Any more and your carrying excess weight
barrkel wrote:
The best solution I've found so far is a sturdy gym bag - this style of thing: https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-North-Face-Duffel-Large/dp/B000P9EDVS

That seems to be an expensive option.
A less expensive option https://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Dry-Boxes-dry-bags-uk.html
the 60ltr option is a favourite with the ADV crowd.
If you want 1 bag to fit it all in try the monster 150ltr item

As for straps, you can`t beat ROK straps, and atm they`re on offer over at traveldri-plus
https://www.traveldriplus.com/shop/index.php?search%5Bkeywords%5D=rok&_a=category

Ericck
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 10:39 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peirre oBollox wrote:

The top of that bag must be over 5ft off the ground, so its not exactly low down keeping the COG low

Have toured with that bag many a time and don't even notice it
now. Not nearly as heavy (bag only contains, tent sleeping bag/mat and pillow) or intrusive as a passenger which would be in a similar position.

Agree though about not taking too much clothes etc, you can always rinse stuff out. I'm going down to Spain next week and
will take very little kit and clothes. If it wasn't for the camping gear I can get everything I need in my top box.
Previous Bikes: Yamaha FS1E, Mobylette Moped Thingy, Suzuki GS125, Kawasaki Zephyr 550, Kawasaki Zephyr 750, Kawasaki ER500, Suzuki Bandit 600, Honda CBR600F, Triumph Street Triple 675, Suzuki V Strom 650.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:27 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ventura luggage is that sort of height and I haven't found it a problem.

https://img3.imageshack.us/img3/1745/20120321153329.jpg

However good the kit is though, I could never really recommend it because of the price.

blurredman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:50 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice!

Well, I just won on ebay some soft panniers.

In the auction is two Oxford Sport Panniers 60 'litres'.
An Oxford tank bag, and some Oxford passenger gym type bag. Looking at the size of the panniers they seem very large and should be pretty good in size.
The auction also came with appropriate straps etc.

£62

So along with my although cheap, but hard top box it should all be fairly ample for my 3-4 weeks away camping.

I'll have to post a picture just before I set off.

Last edited by blurredman on 14:43 - 01 Aug 2012; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:17 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wtf is it with rok straps and not doing plain black ones ffs. Thumbs Down Rolling Eyes

Also Kriega or fuck all Smile Cool Smile

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get yourself some Oxford panniers. I wouldn't recommend the 1st time ones though, as there are better around.

Check out the Oxford Lifetime X60 sports panniers. I've got a set of the older model ones and they quality. 60litres capacity, and top loading, making things much easier. They cost £120 but often M&P have them on sale at £60

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:
Get yourself some Oxford panniers. I wouldn't recommend the 1st time ones though, as there are better around.

Check out the Oxford Lifetime X60 sports panniers. I've got a set of the older model ones and they quality. 60litres capacity, and top loading, making things much easier. They cost £120 but often M&P have them on sale at £60

Shocked Oxford - shite gear, would not pay more than 5 quid in an emergency for it. Rolling Eyes

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:22 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree for the most part. The sport panniers are very good though.

stood up well to being overloaded. Man handled, and used in the snow, and torrential rain/mud.

I wouldn't pay £120 for them, but £60 is a bargain.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some oxford rip off ones for £30 - They're identical to the 'Oxford First Time' ones.

TBH they're okay. I don't like the faff though, so this time I'm taking a big holdall on the back seat, sleeping bag etc on a little rack and a tankbag for wallet / phone / sat nav etc.

This way when I rock up to a F1 hotel, it's two bungees and I can take all of my shit inside, without having to take individual items out of the panniers, and I don't have to put things back in wet panniers when it's pissed it down overnight.

Winner.

https://oi46.tinypic.com/33w162x.jpg

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:57 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably would bother with panniers on a solo trip either, but most of my tours are two-up.

When using panniers I always find that they remain waterproof without the covers, but then I always have my belongings in plastic bags.

This way, its pull up to the hotel/campsite. Open two zips and pull out the bags, close two zips and i'm good to go. No faffing about with bungies and the like.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 01 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:
I probably would bother with panniers on a solo trip either, but most of my tours are two-up.

When using panniers I always find that they remain waterproof without the covers, but then I always have my belongings in plastic bags.

This way, its pull up to the hotel/campsite. Open two zips and pull out the bags, close two zips and i'm good to go. No faffing about with bungies and the like.

I fitted the waterproof covers to my panniers, and they let the water in and kept it in.

Plus when you stop somewhere for a few days they're a PITA to take off.

I certainly had more than 1 plastic bag in each side.

Each to their own, I just found it a faff.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 02 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peirre oBollox wrote:
barrkel wrote:

That seems to be an expensive option.
A less expensive option https://www.ewetsuits.com/acatalog/Dry-Boxes-dry-bags-uk.html
the 60ltr option is a favourite with the ADV crowd.
If you want 1 bag to fit it all in try the monster 150ltr item

Actually I just linked to that to indicate the shape of the thing I'm referring to. I agree; I wouldn't put something this price on the back, not least because it'll get sprayed in oil specks on the left hand side from the chain.

Peirre oBollox wrote:
As for straps, you can`t beat ROK straps, and atm they`re on offer over at traveldri-plus
https://www.traveldriplus.com/shop/index.php?search%5Bkeywords%5D=rok&_a=category

I have ROK straps, but I don't use them for strapping my bag on when touring on my bike; I don't use anything elastic. I use two luggage straps each rated for 220daN (about 224 kg) of tension, and do them up tight. I want the weight solidly attached to the bike so that it doesn't move at all, especially when on the fun roads.

The straps are very handy on my scooter though, because the seat needs to come up to refuel. The straps with the clips in them make it easy to temporarily remove luggage.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 271 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1