Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Don't Insurance Companies Want Bike Business Any More?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:00 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Don't Insurance Companies Want Bike Business Any More? Reply with quote

My insurance is due for renewal at the end of this month and I'm losing the will to live. Sad

My circumstances are, I thought, fairly straightforward. I need a multibike policy to cover 3 bikes, 1 of which is not a UK-standard model altho it is UK-spec and has only ever been UK-registered.

All 3 bikes have always been kept road-legal, ie MOT'd, taxed and insured, since I bought them (2 in 2007, 1 in 2009) so they should show up on all the standard databases.

I have NCD dating back to 2001, passed my A2 test July 2004 so came out of restriction July 2006. I'm old and female so a very low risk.

All 3 bikes now count as having been modified under the lists provided as they all have screens and crashbars fitted, the 2 cruisers have sissy bars and the zeph has a modified seat and lowered suspension. So although the mods are declareable there's nothing life-changing is there?

I need cover to ride other bikes, don't carry pillions and would like european cover if it's available.

Should be simples huh? Nope. In over 4 hours of trying both comparison sites and individual brokers or insurers I have so far managed to get just 1 quote and that's from Carole Nash who I am already with!

Most of the comparison sites don't to multi-bike quotes, quite a lot of the individual ones don't either. Several I have not been able to get past the NCD/time licence held discrepancy as they can't get their heads around bikers riding on l-plates or restricted licences apparently. I've emailed a couple of those but doubt it'll make a difference. Several will not quote because of the modifications. Rolling Eyes Several are unable to quote cos they can't find my non-UK-standard bike and don't seem to believe it exists.

I've been riding for over 10 years now and I don't ever remember getting insurance quotes being this difficult!

My usual renewal procedure is to get around a dozen online quotes, then ring the best ones and a couple of brokers who don't quote online, spreadsheet the results and then go with the one best suited to my needs (which isn't always the cheapest) so I'm hoping that a day on the phone in the next week or so will produce better results but I'm now thinking that to get a decent spread of quotes I'm probably going to have to take a couple of hours a day for the next few weeks to make phone calls.

I can't help wondering - is it me? Insurers just don't seem to want my business this year! Crying or Very sad

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:05 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try https://www.footmanjames.co.uk/?gclid=CPbnyMSUt7ACFQwjfAodPC9Y9g
Not saying they are any good but I know people that use them. End of the day all insurance companies are c***s.

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: Don't Insurance Companies Want Bike Business Any More? Reply with quote

Try an insurance broker, i.e. a guy with a desk and a phone rather than a faceless internet entity that says "no".

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:42 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL according to the nice man from MCE who has just called me nobody does multi-bike quotes online any more because of "people putting incorrect details in and invalidating their policies so not getting their payouts!"

Say wut? First of all I am only after a quote, of course I will be confirming all details if I choose to actually buy a policy. Secondly I'm not a fucking moron!

Fine if they all want to quote for multibike by phone rather than online but in that case don't give me a "get quote" button on your website and let me enter all my personal info before telling me I can only enter details for one bike cos it makes me angry! Mad

Was only looking for ballpark figures today before I start calling round properly, it's been a complete waste of time and effort tbh.

scorps
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: , Reply with quote

Ive never had a problem with ebike for multicover policies, they have a specific page which covers most adaptions too. All done online and the amended certificate in the post a few days later.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: , Reply with quote

scorps wrote:
Ive never had a problem with ebike for multicover policies, they have a specific page which covers most adaptions too. All done online and the amended certificate in the post a few days later.

But they won't give cover to ride other bikes, which is quite important to me..........

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:06 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was cheaper for me to get two seperate policies last time. Both with the same company as it happens.

I used my NCB on the VFR and insured the enfield seperately without an NCB then bought AA relay cover and it still worked out cheaper in total than any of the multi-bike policies.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:11 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, doing it that way is useful because if you do have an accident you still have some no claims left.
Also, then you only need to find one policy that offers TPO on others bikes - so may also end up cheaper overall.

scorps
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: , Reply with quote

yambabe wrote:
scorps wrote:

But they won't give cover to ride other bikes, which is quite important to me..........

thats a bit shit that is, I dont see why its a problem for one and not another, I think all insurance companies are being arsey at the moment, my daughter has passed her test and wants a little run about to give her some independence as she has two toddlers, she is 26 and can not get a quote for less than 2k, the fact that is wanting a cheap car and has babies should give them a clue shes not wanting a turbo boy racer car etc.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:31 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: , Reply with quote

scorps wrote:
the fact that is wanting a cheap car and has babies should give them a clue shes not wanting a turbo boy racer car etc.

A turbo boy racer may be less likely to claim; they probably haven't got all their mods declared anyway and most likely to end up in a ditch.

While the mum that hasn't had a car for a while and has two bouncing kids in tow may be much more likely to hit in to the back of another car at 5mph.
Five occupants of the other car all claim for whiplash.

I suspect there's a lot fewer whiplash claims against bikes, which may be one of the reasons bike insurance is much cheaper.

gixerstu
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:48 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just renewed with ebike Shocked
They were the only one's I could get a decent quote (online) for 4 bikes and 2 riders with 365 days european cover.
Some of the quotes I got for my fireblade were just stupid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:35 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 3 bikes with mahoosive modifications (ZOMFG panniers) and some planned policy changes to make, eBike was my only realistic candidate - factoring in a £40 off voucher. Sucks about the no other-bikes cover though. Mad

scorps
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:41 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: , Reply with quote

normally I would agree with you G but my daughter lived abroad and had a car in America for a while and she has spent the last part of a year driving on L plates with a licenced friend on their insurance but shes doing something called the test plus thing to try and get the insurance down a bit.

Fifteen15
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:12 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: Don't Insurance Companies Want Bike Business Any More? Reply with quote

yambabe wrote:
passed my A2 test July 2004 so came out of restriction July 2006. I'm old and female so a very low risk.

Kinda OT but I thought only 17-21 year olds had to put up with the 33 bhp restriction for 2 years?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:02 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Re: Don't Insurance Companies Want Bike Business Any More? Reply with quote

Fifteen15 wrote:
yambabe wrote:
passed my A2 test July 2004 so came out of restriction July 2006. I'm old and female so a very low risk.

Kinda OT but I thought only 17-21 year olds had to put up with the 33 bhp restriction for 2 years?

17-20 you can only do the tests on a "standard" (aka A2) 125cc bike. 21+ you can opt to do the tests on a 35kw+ "bike bike" (aka A aka DAS) test.

What license you get is entirely dependent on what bike you use for the tests, not your age. The vast majority of people 21+ do tests on a 35kW+ "big bike" and get an unrestricted A license, but it's not universal and nor was it expected to be the default route, it was supposed to be an exception (which didn't work out in practice, thus al the license fiddling next January).

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us were not able to do do DAS cos we couldn't find a 35kw training-school bike low enough for our short legs to reach the ground on.... Crying or Very sad

The phone marathon will start shortly I think. Thing is, for the last few years being able to get online quotes had taken all the legwork out of the process and now it looks like that option has been taken away for no good reason that I can see.

I'm also of the opinion that I am far less likely to make data input errors online about my own details than their call-centre monkeys will over the phone! Twisted Evil

Probly end up staying with Carole Nash after all this lol, their admin charges suck but at least you know where you are and what you're getting with them and they have been good for claims in the past.

Still narks me that every year I have to make it plain during the recorded conversation that the bike they read out to me as part of the schedule confirmation is NOT the make and model of my bike, it's just the nearest they can get on their database though! Rolling Eyes

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:26 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

yambabe wrote:
I'm also of the opinion that I am far less likely to make data input errors online about my own details than their call-centre monkeys will over the phone! Twisted Evil

100% agree. I honestly don't think that I could bear to play Phone Quest again. Sick

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:55 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

No time to read to the bottom.
I have two bike on two policies as the NCD can only be used on one machine at a time. Multi-bike would affect NCD for both policies if a claim is made.
Some companys will differ but better speaking than clicking.

Onlline application is streamlined for simple cases and more detailed policies will require more detailed underwriting.

There reserve the right to light firey hoops as it may be their money (our money) they lob out if there is a disaster.

They probably want to narrow there exposure so limit the range of policies.
There are those who 'claim' to tailor for all but you have to pay for this.

Buy a normal bike and steer clear of the exotica. Smile

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 05 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
exotica

Laughing My bike is basically a Suzuki Intruder, they've been making them since the late 80s but in 2005 they rebranded them to appeal to the US and Australian market (and called them "Boulevards" Sick ) and Suzuki UK in their wisdom decided that the UK market didn't want a sleek, stripped-down, lighter-weight better-handling midrange cruiser and only officially brought the big fat heavy lardy ones in.

Quite a few got imported from 2005-2007 but even though the range has continued year-on-year I've not seen a new one available anywhere since then and obviously there weren't enough of them to make an impact on the UK insurance databases......

It's about as exotic as Blackpool........ Mr. Green

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:31 - 07 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any joy so far? My insurance will need renewed soon and I need 2 bikes covered. Have you found anyone that's reasonable yet?

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 07 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.

Still can't find anyone except Carole Nash who will quote me online for a multibike policy. Theirs was good though, via Aviva (can't get a direct quote off them, I've tried) £209 FC for a 2007 VS800, 2005 VS1400 and a 1995 ZR550.

Not started ringing in earnest yet though, that'll be next week's job!

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 07 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, what should I put here I wonder? I've held my "bike licence" ever since I got my provisional bike license in 2007. So does that make it 5 years? It's not like it's asking "How long ago have you held a full, non-A2 bike licence?"

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 07 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go by the date on the back of my photocard - although I actually passed my test in 2004 I had to upgrade my photo last year so mine says 2006 in the "valid from" bit cos of my restriction. That's what I've been putting in this time round.

This has caused immense problems with online quotes, especially from the comparison websites, cos I have been riding since I did my first CBT in 2001 so I have over 10 years NCD. Many of their systems can't cope with me having 10+ years NCD but only held a full licence for 6.......... get to this point and "computer says no" and I can't go any further!

mjn51
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:54 - 07 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just taken a multi bike policy with bennetts online,after getting the quote via meerkat, after enetering the usual data it then asks if you want to add another bike
simples.

yambabe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 07 Jun 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjn51 wrote:
I've just taken a multi bike policy with bennetts online,after getting the quote via meerkat, after enetering the usual data it then asks if you want to add another bike
simples.

See above. Meerkat couldn't quote me cos my NCD is bigger than the number of years I have had my licence. No way around it except to lie about one or the other, both of which would mean I wouldn't get an accurate quote!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 297 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2