Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BMW S1000RR, Project Carbon Overload.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:08 - 19 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does look very very nice. Although I personally prefer a satin black finish over the carbon one.

EXC-Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 19 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

so in total how much did it cost you to get the bike fully carbon ???

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:10 - 19 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRF-Rider wrote:

how much do you reckon? roughly.

BigDan1190
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 23:18 - 19 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna estimate 2k including exhaust.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EXC-Rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 19 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say between 2 and 3k

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:36 - 20 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

lllN30lll wrote:
CRF-Rider wrote:

how much do you reckon? roughly.

Exhaust was £700, just the left and right side panels were £550. Then the rest Shocked

moppy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 20 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you paint over this, I will personally come round to your house, in the middle of the night, and strip the paint.

Looks gaaawjus.

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:04 - 16 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.... Bikes was looking good, managed a nice 5000 miles on the clock and BANG, gone. Laughing

Roll on engine #2.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/428580_531078400273958_2085329283_n.jpg

decided rather than take the head off and miss Summer it would be easier to get another engine.

bloke who I PX'd my engine with took the head off it and text me 'Found the problem in your old engine pal,just a valve clip come off,done a little bit of damage but nothing of serious note,clip went into bore and duffed the head and piston up a little' Not worth repairing in his opinion so he's stripping it. Can't believe I only managed 5000 miles out of it lol

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/945235_10152786507280212_1659029276_n.jpg

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 16 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused, did it go bang because of something you did? Surely thats not right. I would be kicking off to BMW if my £10000+ bike lasted a meagre 5k miles.

bunglebubs
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 01:28 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there quite a few that have had engines fail and were replaced by BMW?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:15 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for a BMW WTF is going on question Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

lllN30lll
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermoto_Fan wrote:
I'm confused, did it go bang because of something you did? Surely thats not right. I would be kicking off to BMW if my £10000+ bike lasted a meagre 5k miles.

Bike was serviced as and when it needed it. I just rode it as normal. Unfortunately it's out of warranty.

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:16 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's that? Unbelievable really.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:19 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of warranty or not, I'd be pissed and head straight down BMW's dealership asking what the hell do they think they are playing at.

Fine if you have the cash to replace, but damn Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:25 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "reasonable expectation" outweighs the expiration of the warranty in law. You should have gone after BMW over this, that kind of failure is totally unacceptable.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:30 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

lllN30lll wrote:
Unfortunately it's out of warranty.

The requirements of the sale of goods act don't need it to be under warranty; it's reasonable of you to be able to expect the engine to last longer than it did.

Goods must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

I'd say do some research so as to quote the exact wording of the sale of goods act then send carefully worded letter to the customer service manager of the garage you bought the bike from and CC the letter to the manager of customer services at BMW UK.

If they don't respond with a satisfactory response within whatever time frame you give (10 days, 14 days or if you're feeling friendly then 21 days or 28 days) then you'll want to write to the chief executive of at BMW's corporation head office in Munich; they'll be very happy to hear from an unhappy customer. Thumbs Up

Send everything by recorded delivery and by fax or email.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:35 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
lllN30lll wrote:
Unfortunately it's out of warranty.

The requirements of the sale of goods act don't need it to be under warranty; it's reasonable of you to be able to expect the engine to last longer than it did.

Goods must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose.

I'd say do some research so as to quote the exact wording of the sale of goods act then send carefully worded letter to the customer service manager of the garage you bought the bike from and CC the letter to the manager of customer services at BMW UK.

If they don't respond with a satisfactory response within whatever time frame you give (10 days, 14 days or if you're feeling friendly then 21 days or 28 days) then you'll want to write to the chief executive of at BMW's corporation head office in Munich; they'll be very happy to hear from an unhappy customer. Thumbs Up

Send everything by recorded delivery and by fax or email.

It's too late now, the engine's been opened by a monkey. BMW might consider some kind of goodwill gesture though. Umm...hang on...

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Yeah, as you were. Rolling Eyes

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:46 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMWs have gone to shit.

F800GSs have lunched their suspension off road, the new GS1200s tankslap enough to smash their lockstops off and S1000RRs have engines that were never built properly and grenade after 5k miles...

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:54 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
BMWs have gone to shit.

F800GSs have lunched their suspension off road, the new GS1200s tankslap enough to smash their lockstops off and S1000RRs have engines that were never built properly and grenade after 5k miles...

On the plus side, I could still fap to that photo Laughing

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:02 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just caught up with this thread, so I'm a tad late!
That was a cracking job you have done. It looks very well, and as far as the engine snag goes I'd be asking BMW how a bike (3 year old or there abouts?) well serviced has shat it's engine. Hardly fit for purpose!

oh, and incidentally,
[/quote]
I have a GIRLFRIEND who's 5 month's pregnant, I have my mortgage. I don't have a pension, I spend my money however it makes me happy, as long as I'm happy, the WIFE's happy, and my future daughter is happy then fuck it.
.[/quote]

Hope the wife doesn't discover about the girlfriend....

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
BMWs have gone to shit.

^^^ Rubbish doesn't know what hne's on about and quoting a bit of hear say.

It is no hidden fact about the early failure of some engines sold in USA (not so many/any in European market).
The problem was a build issue where the connecting rod caps were not torqued properly.
BMW replaced all engines within that range.

Why should the OEM repair it?
If it is not serviced in line with their recomendations. I am not sying this bike wasn't but if you are asking for goodwill then you have to show the same goodwill to the OEM by supporting the dealers.

I know we don't like the rates but for my money both my new bikes are dealer serviced and both are still in warranty both 2010 models...
So what is all the fuss about?

If the OP had returned the machine to a BMW dealer there 'may' have been goodwill on repairs. BMW are keen to lavish care on their superbike.

As typical, there are always those who state hate facts due to a jealousy matter.

Smile

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]

If the OP had returned the machine to a BMW dealer there 'may' have been goodwill on repairs. BMW are keen to lavish care on their superbike.

As typical, there are always those who state hate facts due to a jealousy matter.

Smile[/quote]

As said here, I would not surprised in the slightest to see BMW keen to help in some way, assuming it's been serviced as per their requests.
They are very keen to preserve their image!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:31 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not jealous of the BMW, if I wanted one, I'd buy one Rolling Eyes

I would expect an engine with 5,000 miles to keep working, serviced or not. I thrash the fuck out of my 74k Varadero 125..and its still alive and shows no signs of dying. 5k from a top of the range all singing and dancing supersports is just pitiful Laughing

World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
5k from a top of the range all singing and dancing supersports is just pitiful Laughing

Yup! You'd imagine it's just a one off though?

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:34 - 17 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Whittaker wrote:

Smile[/quote]

As said here, I would not surprised in the slightest to see BMW keen to help in some way, assuming it's been serviced as per their requests.
They are very keen to preserve their image![/quote]

BTW.. I was not being critical of the OP's choice of repair. For all we know BMW told him to 'do one' (Though I doubt that very much).
I was only addressing the hater comment. Smile

I know dealer service is not mandatory but 'in line with OEM recommendations' may require 'OEM like' equipment to interrogate and set up equipment at service time.

Just sayin' like.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 359 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17