Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

My Daytona 675 - now with added video and alarm rage

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 28 Aug 2012    Post subject: My Daytona 675 - now with added video and alarm rage Reply with quote

Picked this up in April, its a 2008 Daytona 675 and I absolutely love it. Heres a few pictures.

A couple of weekends ago I thought I'd better clean it, after the exceptional summer we're having:

https://pic60.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1773/12435930/24119284/403780996.jpg

Went to the pub for some stag do planning via the scenic route tonight - stopped off in Malvern to take a couple of photos:

https://pic60.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1773/12435930/24119284/403780999.jpg

Look closely at the numberplate on this one, its a bit fucked. The hanger is a bodge job from the previous owner; so far as I can tell there is no aftermarket tail tidy to fit my GPR cans. Anyway, it fell off and rubbed against the tyre for ages and made a right mess. Had to get it welded back on and my dealer was rubbish about it so went to a local garage instead. I'm toying with the idea of taking the cans off, they were tested at 110db at Mallory with the baffles in, so I couldn't go on track. On the one weekend where it was actually hot and sunny. Sounds lovely though. Grrrr Twisted Evil

https://pic60.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1773/12435930/24119284/403780998.jpg

Finally got to go on a dry trackday, with a standard exhaust this time. Had a great time at Pembrey, will be looking to go in the inters on my next one for sure. I do have a nearly kneedown picture but I'm pulling a super special concentrating rapey face in it. So I'll have to doctor that one.

https://pic60.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1773/12435930/24119284/403711858.jpg

Don't worry, the chicken strips in the first picture soon disappeared, sounds stupid but I was quite chuffed with this... the bobbly bits will be right at the edge after my next one Cool :

https://pic60.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1773/12435930/24119284/403780994.jpg

I'd definitely recommend a test ride to anyone thinking about a sports 600. The engine is brilliant, the sound is great, the front end turn-in and handling are superb. The riding position isn't for everyone.... but I did nearly 250 miles in a day without needing to visit a chiropractor but the real weakness is the rear shock. Its progressively wound and the rebound damping is fiddly so setting it up is a real ballache. I don't want to change much but when I've got a few hundred spare I'll be buying a Nitron.

This is definitely a keeper for a couple of years, at least.

Last edited by Slacker24seven on 19:20 - 01 Aug 2015; edited 4 times in total

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 28 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the best colour too, hopefully one of those will be my next bike Thumbs Up

Might be a good idea to keep an eye on the CCT though, they revised it for the 2009 facelift but manual tensioners are a common upgrade.

Last edited by stonesie on 22:38 - 28 Aug 2012; edited 1 time in total

DaveB
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:36 - 28 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet bit of kit looks lovely in blue Thumbs Up I test rode a 675r a couple of weeks ago, tis a great bike, not sure if I can live with the position Sad getting a bit too old lol...That and I love my Street...Want both Mr. Green

Enjoy Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:13 - 29 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveB wrote:
Sweet bit of kit looks lovely in blue Thumbs Up I test rode a 675r a couple of weeks ago, tis a great bike, not sure if I can live with the position Sad getting a bit too old lol...That and I love my Street...Want both Mr. Green

Enjoy Thumbs Up

The R is a cracker, if I had 10k spare I'd have one!!!

A gel seat and adjustable rearsets can help with the position; at 5'10 I seem to be the right size for it though. Much shorter and you'd be on tiptoes at the lights, much bigger might be a bit cramped. It is definitely a bike you sit 'on' rather than 'in', depends if that's your cup of tea!

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 29 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike, odd RHS foot position though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DaveB
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 16:20 - 29 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't specifically want an "r" but was the demo on offer (thought what the hell Mr. Green) I think the main issue was I only had an hour on it and for the first 15 mins I didn't like it!! Then it started to grow on me. I'm 5'10 also. I'm considering buying a 2007 (4k-ish)Daytona and running it along side the Street for a few months, then out one of them...At 44 I reckon if I don't do it now (soon) I never will Crying or Very sad

Slacker24seven wrote:

The R is a cracker, if I had 10k spare I'd have one!!!

A gel seat and adjustable rearsets can help with the position; at 5'10 I seem to be the right size for it though. Much shorter and you'd be on tiptoes at the lights, much bigger might be a bit cramped. It is definitely a bike you sit 'on' rather than 'in', depends if that's your cup of tea!

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 29 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. Thumbs Up

How much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:29 - 29 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool machine, it's one of these bikes that I've got on my to buy someday list Smile

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:02 - 29 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
Very nice. Thumbs Up

How much did you pay, if you don't mind me asking?

£4750 from a dealer with fuck all miles and some extras thrown in. With hindsight I could have probably gone for a slightly higher mileage, private '09 plate if I'd have travelled further. '09s from a dealer seem to be hovering around £5750-£6000 though, which is a lot.

JP7
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 29 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely bike, I am determined to get a 675 as my next bike! I test rode one last year and refused to get off it for two hours, I loved it. The riding position does take some getting used to, but it's fantastic to ride. Looks great in the blue as well.
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 328 days between these two posts...

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 24 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd update this nearly a year on.

I've doubled the mileage and used it for going between Worcester and Cheltenham three or four times per week in all weathers, as well as plenty more hooning and a couple more trackdays.

The durability seems fine, I am quite surprised. At the end of October I took the fairings off it and ACF50'ed it liberally. It got an occasional rinse off over winter but stood up to the daily grind quite nicely. The only areas that have suffered are the pillion footpegs and their cheesy fasteners, literally everything is fine.

Come April I started to think about riding it for fun again. First thing was to get rid of the absolutely dogshit BT016s it came with. I was going to go for something sticky and expensive but my friendly local garage offered me some original Pilot Powers for £150. Couldn't say no, they were a massive improvement despite being old hat.

Then this popped up in my eBay watchlist:

https://imageshack.us/a/img842/1648/5kwo.jpg

Thankfully it was used by a guy who is the same size and weight as me. Got it for £350. The difference is amazing, OEM shocks on 06-08 Daytonas are shit but this has transformed it.

Then I had to service it. I did all the easy stuff myself like brakes, oil, filters and coolant and my local garaged checked the valves (spot on after 12K) and stamped the book. All done for half of what a main Triumph dealer quoted me Cool It was actually fairly easy to work on. No fiddly bits and everything seems to make sense. Positively Honda like in construction.

Then I got some Racetec scrubs from Matt (Red Devil on here) and they are still going strong. Went to Pembrey again a few weeks ago. Unfortunately the guy on the CBR behind me in this picture has a much better body position but I'm happy with the progress I'm making:

https://imageshack.us/a/img10/6554/60jo.jpg

https://img571.imageshack.us/img571/4859/tnxu.jpg

It was my first time in 'proper' inters. I've been in 'slow inters' on days with 4 groups before but thought I was going to be too slow in proper inters. Ended up loving it, I wasn't a mobile chicane and seemed to be solidly mid pack. I took great pleasure in going past 3 R1s that really shouldn't have been in that group, as well as a full-on track Daytona a few times too Twisted Evil Got behind an instructor for a bit too, that was really helpful. Still got a lot to learn about overtaking though but that will come with practice. Hugely impressed with the braking combo of Carbone Lorraine SBK5 pads and Racetecs though, had the back hovering into the hairpin almost every time. Loved that.

Gave it a clean today:

https://imageshack.us/a/img707/6097/sw93.jpg

Mmmm shiny.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 24 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see a bike actually being used. I'm doing similar with my GSXR at the moment, it's my commuter / track bike / tourer.

Is it burning much oil?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:41 - 24 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either you are a giant or that bike is CBR125 styled and super small.. Laughing

Very nice Thumbs Up

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 24 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
Nice to see a bike actually being used. I'm doing similar with my GSXR at the moment, it's my commuter / track bike / tourer.

Is it burning much oil?

Less than 200ml between services, which is low for an early 675 triple engine.

Paddy. wrote:
Either you are a giant or that bike is CBR125 styled and super small.. Laughing

Very nice Thumbs Up

Nope, I'm a fat bastard that needs to get lower and hang off more Laughing Laughing

675Rusty
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:13 - 24 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike, I had the 09 before buying my current one (2013 R) and loved that.

Good price on that shock, I remember T3-Racing doing a special on that model for £450 new if I remember correctly.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:15 - 24 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the "Glad i got a Nitron" club Very Happy

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 25 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
Welcome to the "Glad i got a Nitron" club Very Happy

Ohhhhh yes. Highly recommended, particularly for the price I paid for it, and they are well reviewed on www.675.cc too Thumbs Up

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:16 - 26 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can clearly ride a bike and it's drop dead stunning I want to own one of these in the next few years.

Raaaspect Thumbs Up

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:32 - 01 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's quite nice in the flesh, spesh with that nitron track shock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 07 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tot wrote:
It's quite nice in the flesh, spesh with that nitron track shock.

Cheers mate, yours isn't bad either! Was able to spot you from a mile off anyway. Lower Lode tonight?

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 07 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't go out tonight since I was getting my bike ready for the BBQ. Removing more of the overspray before the boys undoubtedly take the piss out of it come Friday evening! Needed to install my 12V charger and generally get the bike in a decent fettle.

Besides, I'm getting quite bored of riding up and down the A38 lol! Granted I go through nice back lanes, but the last few meets have been in Tewksbury!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 1 year, 261 days between these two posts...

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 26 Apr 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now with added trackdays and crashing!

In December last year I was nearly caught by a speed taxation van. I'm not sure how fast I was going but it was probably 10 to the power of eleventy. Anyway, he was either packing up for the day or it lacked a front facing camera - which to my knowledge the West Mercia vans do have. So, on the basis that my licence is now worth a lot to me, I decided to go track only with the Daytona and just ride the other half's Hornet when I fancied a pootle on the road.

At the start of the year I picked up some fairings and a new tank finished in a very nice racing green and white, a bit like the old ParkinGO WSS bikes:

https://i.imgur.com/8Zr03Xr.jpg

Very tasty. Threw on some old fucked Racetecs a mate gave me and went to Doningon on the Tuesday after the BSB boys were there at Easter. Visibility wasn't great at 9:00:

https://i.imgur.com/XlJXhHt.jpg

So had a brew and tested out my new Uber warmers*. It was a 98db day, hence the stock can.

Things quickly got better though, the sun was out and it was a head 16 or 17 degrees:

https://i.imgur.com/FvxFK8y.jpg

...and I got a bit faster too:

https://i.imgur.com/Wlmt6f0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zreUJGu.jpg

It was a Chrono day with Focussed Events. Despite FE's usual claims of the least red flags and blah blah blah, there was a one in virtually every session. I don't know if it was everyone's first day of the year, or the fact that there was a high number of novices but it was pretty mad really. One of the novices punted off the girl in our garage on her CBR600, she still had a smile on her face mind you. My mate had a huge highside out of the esses on a brand new slick, first hot lap. Snapped the frame Rolling Eyes

Although you don't get to know your times on the day, they do swap you around based on your laptimes after the first two sessions. This is a really good idea as inters was full of a total cockwombles, so I was glad to see the back of some of them. One of the ones that got moved down to novice, went out with fast by accident. Turned out my fastest lap was a 1:57, which I was pleased with having been aiming to get under 2 minutes on my first dry day there.

Last session but one though, it was my turn to take a trip round the track in the truck of shame:

https://i.imgur.com/wV6WhpO.jpg

After my fastest lap, I was really getting into it. Came down Craner with a bit more balls, which was great, but then arrived at the old hairpin A LOT quicker than my previous lap. I cocked up my downshift in a bit of a panic, the back end went all over the place so I stood it up and tried to stop it. Promptly ran out of road, into the gravel and over the bars. At least the marshal thought it was a good one. I was fine, bike is fine apart from a cracked screen, and scuffed fairings. As crashes go, it was a good one Cool

No real plans for the moment other than filling and painting it again; I might stick with the same colours as I like them. I could do with some rearsets and a thinner, less angled seat. Need a new lid now and I needed gloves anyway. The only annoying thing was a bit gravel got in between my trousers and jacket and left a big scrape down my belly, I think I need to get a onesie now.

*RE: Uber warmers, they are apparently well made and cheap. They don't get quite as hot as Racetec ones which is probably what I should have bought.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 01 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not updated this for a while but I thought I should before I go to the RAF Shawbury track day. Basically, its been a tale of fail since Donnington!

I filled the holes and repainted it. Got the colour slightly wrong, it looks gash.

https://i.imgur.com/loYRnVe.jpg

And yes, it is held together with zipties. I keep losing fasteners.

For the may bank holiday weekend, two mates and I booked Rockingham. That's a while ago but the ineptitude on display is worth telling.

The night before, we get the racing spares out of my mates van and chuck it in my garage, get my bike into the van and have a few beers. Then I had the brainwave of checking to see if they still work as my alarm had been playing up. We tried to start both in the van, both were dead. My alarm had worn the battery down, his race bike was put away with the ignition still on.

We wheel mine out, tried to jump start it with my OH's Hairnet and the alarm goes mental. After many minutes of fiddling and alarms, in a fit of rage I cut the alarm out of the loom. I felt like a total twat straight away, mate gives me a 'you're an arse, I'm going home' look and loads his stuff back into the van. I settle down to googling and plugging random wires together from the alarm socket at 11pm.

https://i.imgur.com/Fa5m1qX.jpg

After two hours of swearing and more beer, I circumvented Datatool's alarm system - I imagine a sober person would take about 10 minutes. The joy and relief of seeing the dash light up was amazing.

We head for Rockingham anyway, thinking we'll be able to bump start the bikes. No such luck, they are totally fucked. After asking everyone in the paddock, we find a chap with not one but two Daytona batteries and borrow them, making it out for session 2. You wouldn't think we'd done this before!

The track itself is absolute shite. The banked bit isn't that fun and the infield is almost all 2nd and 3rd gear. The only good corner is the long fast left. I totally hated the place. Anyway, my best lap was a 1.44, my middle of fast group mate was a 1.37. Here it is:

https://i.imgur.com/vsC3sYV.jpg

Clicking the screenshot should work.

If you're not a pikey and have a genuine reason for removing a Daytona alarm, PM me. If you need anything painted, I am not your man.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:59 - 02 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it going to get out at Rock. I don't especially like the track, mainly as I seem to crash there.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 02 Aug 2015    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
Glad you got it going to get out at Rock. I don't especially like the track, mainly as I seem to crash there.

Where did you keep crashing? They were dropping like flies in inters on that first right after the hairpin, onto the cold side of the tyre.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 8 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2