Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Vauxhall Corsa ball joint

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:04 - 27 Aug 2012    Post subject: Vauxhall Corsa ball joint Reply with quote

Hi

Sorry for a car question, but bound to be a few people on here who have had Corsas

Neighbours girlfriend has one and the handling had gone off. Asked me to have a look. Problem is a lot of play in the bottom right ball joint. That is easy enough to change, but the problem is play between the ball joint in the hub. Suspect that it wasn't bolted up tight previously and has worn with it wobbling.

Is this a common issue with them? Is the only solution a replacement hub?

All the best

Keith

Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 27 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not normally a issue kickstart Thumbs Up

All bottom ball joint's will wear if the bolt is not done up correctly,
some people though seem to just put the ball joint in 3/4 the way then thrash the ball joint bolt through holding it together, causing wear on the ball joint pin, which will then give a wobble effect and play effect in the future.

if i was in your shoe's id replace the HUB with a new one, don't buy a old second hand one unless you know the wheel bearing is in good working order.

Hope this helps

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:35 - 27 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Cheers.

Need to source something tomorrow really so probably will need to be 2nd hand.

The ball joint had some noticeable wear on the shaft but not much. However maybe 1mm of play between the hub and the ball joint.

All the best

Keith

Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 27 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah they are cheap enough to buy new about £100 i think or you could buy a really cheap Patton part one off eBay Thumbs Up

Hope it all goe's well, be sure to put some copper grease on Hub where the wheel connects up to Thumbs Up

Hope this helps keith

Matt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:38 - 27 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

£100 would be a fairly significant part of the value of the car!. Old early Corsa.

I do go through a lot of copper grease.

All the best

Keith

Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 27 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

All depends on how much the car is worth to you.

and what the circumstances of the car are like if it's fucked it wouldn't be worth it Thumbs Up

you don't have to buy a new one a local breakers hard could have one, but then you are stuck with the risk of it being already worn, wrong, or wheel bearing wear, then your stuck with a knackered hub or a hub that you will have to buy a new wheel bearing for.also you wont know if the wheel bearing is fucked until you get it on the corsa Thumbs Down

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:18 - 27 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Not too worried. Worst comes to the worst a wheel bearing is cheap enough and I can check it over and have some warranty on it (OK, measured in hours from a breakers).

The car is fairly tatty. Probably get through its next MOT but wouldn't bet on anything longer than that.

Hence spending £20 on a 2nd hand complete unit is rather more appealing than £100 plus on new bits.

All the best

Keith

tom_m
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:46 - 27 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had a few corsas. That is if you are on about the corsa b, had a few petrol ones and a diesel one. Ball joints are a common issue but never had any trouble with hub's. Mate of mine breaks two of them a week from his unit, you should get a good replacement from a scrappy or ebay for 20 quid, if maintained well they last a lifetime, my corsa td had 360,000 miles on it Laughing

tom_m
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:51 - 27 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive had a few corsas. That is if you are on about the corsa b, had a few petrol ones and a diesel one. Ball joints are a common issue but never had any trouble with hub's. Mate of mine breaks two of them a week from his unit, you should get a good replacement from a scrappy or ebay for 20 quid, if maintained well they last a lifetime, my corsa td had 360,000 miles on it Laughing

Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 29 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom_m wrote:

Really?

i have seen Murks and BMW's with over 300k but not a turbo diesel corsa i have seen one with 180 but that's it and it was fucked, with full service history :L

Picture's of speedo ?

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 29 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes miss my old Corsa B 1.5TD, bomb proof IZUZU engine and it got over 70mpg on a run. Shame some pissed up chav in a 306 killed it.

Just a thought, are the ball joint pins bigger on the TD/GSI than the lower models? that could cause the problem the OP has had if say a 1.2 ball joint was just banged into a GSI hub by someone who didn't give a shit.

tom_m
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:38 - 29 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty King wrote:
tom_m wrote:

Really?

i have seen Murks and BMW's with over 300k but not a turbo diesel corsa i have seen one with 180 but that's it and it was fucked, with full service history :L

Picture's of speedo ?

yeah its true lol, i bought it from a guy in yorkshire and had been used as a works car on building sites, came up gleaming after a good spit and polish, only paid £300 for it and had to have the headgasket done after a few weeks but was bulletproof, kept it untill 2 weeks before mot, the passenger sill was rotted and alternator had packed in so it went the scrapper lol. wish i had a pic of the clocks now Sad

it had the 1.5td isuzu engine in it which live forever, and it ran off anything! many times it had red diesel (tut tut), engine oil, veg oil in the tank haha

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:50 - 29 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange how the best bit of these Vauxhall's is the bit Vauxhall didn't make Laughing

tom_m
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:57 - 29 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:
It's strange how the best bit of these Vauxhall's is the bit Vauxhall didn't make Laughing

haha yeah, im looking at getting a cheap run around for the winter, them 1.5td's are getting quite rare now so been thinking of getting a 1.7td one, recently had a peugeot 207 1.4hdi, but it wasnt a patch on my trusty corsa Laughing

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 23:43 - 30 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:

Just a thought, are the ball joint pins bigger on the TD/GSI than the lower models? that could cause the problem the OP has had if say a 1.2 ball joint was just banged into a GSI hub by someone who didn't give a shit.

The car is the basic 3 cylinder one. The hole in the hub was noticeably worn to an odd shape when I got it off. £25 for a 2nd hand one from the local scrappy and it was sorted.

All the best

Keith

Matt-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound's good Thumbs Up

3 Cylinder corsa what a stallion Very Happy

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 18:39 - 31 Aug 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty King wrote:

3 Cylinder corsa what a gelding Very Happy

Corrected for accuracy Laughing

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 230 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1