BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Crash at Bassets pole

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

mazza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:59 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Heartfelt condolences to them all. Don't know them, but their pain must be unbearable right now.

Korn: Any chance we can arrange a kitty for some flowers and messages from BCF? Just an idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 17:04 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazza wrote:

Korn: Any chance we can arrange a kitty for some flowers and messages from BCF? Just an idea.

No this is not what the rider would want at the moment.

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 17:16 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
Bad news, seems like the injured woman died today. condolences to all her family.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/detail?sectionID=50677&documentID=199413

That is very bad news Neutral
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mazza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:19 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not for the rider! It was meant for the family of the poor woman who died.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 17:27 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dont' know the woman I don't see the point in giving flowers, It'd be a bit meaningless imo but maybe that's just me.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 17:30 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazza wrote:
It's not for the rider! It was meant for the family of the poor woman who died.

In my opnion what good will that do no one knows who she is and her family probably hate bikers at the moment.

mazza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:35 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we need to know them?

How many people knew Princess Di? Flowers stretched for miles.

As I say, it's just an idea. Perhaps impractical, but I can't help feeling that some tangible gesture should be acknowledged to these people. Or should we just shrug our shoulders and walk away?

Sure, if the family have given any indication at all that they'd rather not receive anything like this, that would conclude it.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 17:47 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad

thats really bad news!

Is it just me that thinks it was a bit irresponsible of the guy on the bike to be doing knee down through a crowd of people though? Confused

There were people doing wheelies on the straight on the other side from what I was told but that seems a bit less dangerous since if something went wrong the bike would slide forward straight up the road in most cases, not into the crowd at the side of the road.

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 17:49 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
Is it just me that thinks it was a bit irresponsible of the guy on the bike to be doing knee down through a crowd of people though? Confused

Well he's been punished, he won't do it again.

zaknafien

PostPosted: 17:50 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:

Or irresponsible that the onlookers decided to put themselfs so close?

If the guy was really storming round then I can see your point otherwise no not really.

Especially since alot of people go to bassetts to see things like that.

mazza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura, you may well be right and it is a procarious thing to do, so careful steps have to be taken. And nobody would wish to make their anguish worse by having to deal with the emotional challenge that this gesture might represent.

Perhaps if we could find out if it would be appropriate from the family.

Don't get me wrong. Personally, I not so bent on the idea that I'd argue for it if the majority feel it would be the wrong thing to do.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 17:52 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

M1ke wrote:
I would have said the oposite to that keith! Maybe I had my eyes closed but all I saw was one police bike ride past the pub in the few hours that I was there. Certainly not as many cops as normal.

One police car and one bike were tazzing round most of the time. The car spent most of its time lurking on the entry roads to the roundabout.

All the best

Keith

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 17:55 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rider today has been charged and arrested and will be done for manslaughter.

mazza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laura wrote:
The rider today has been charged and arrested and will be done for manslaughter.

That brings me no satisfaction. Despite the gravity of all of this, it was still an accident. He must feel dreadful.

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 18:03 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

he doesnt deserve this he will is feeling bad enough without this.

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter

PostPosted: 18:22 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just say, if a car had been doing handbrake turns and killed someone would you still think he didnt deserve to get punished for it? Yes he's a biker but he was still doing a stunt right next to a load of people.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 18:30 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with that alex, fair enough he wasn't going fast because its only about 45mph or something that mike did to get his knee down there but the fact is that there were thousands of people there last night, I'm guessing he lost it because of the dodgy surface of the road on that corner too.

Manslaughter might be a bit of a steep offence to do him for though.

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 18:33 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people have to take a certain amount of responsibility for what they do, in this case both the rider and the injured/killed spectators.

The rider was silly to do what he did considering the crowds.

The spectators came specially to watch people do silly stuff, they know or at least should know that sometimes things go wrong.

mazza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the question really is: Should these types of events (on public roads, unsupervised and unregulated) continue?

zaknafien

PostPosted: 18:41 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mazza wrote:
So the question really is: Should these types of events (on public roads, unsupervised and unregulated) continue?

Yes, people know or should know the risks.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 18:42 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with the events themselves, its to do with what a small majority of the people turn up do. Why close off the meets if 95% of the people that come aren't doing anything wrong. Rolling Eyes

As the news report says this is the first accident at bassets pole, maybe not the last but there is no need to close the meet down, it will obviously be very heavily policed for a while from now on!

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 18:42 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
45mph or something that mike did to get his knee down there

Yes its about 45MPH to get your knee down on that corner, I suspect he was going a bit faster than that though.

The road its on is actually a 60MPH road so if he didn't stick his knee out, he wouldn't have been breaking the law at all (is getting your knee down even against the law?)

I can't see how they can put him in jail for miss judging a corner, accidents happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 18:46 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

M1ke wrote:
I can't see how they can put him in jail for miss judging a corner, accidents happen.

It wouldn't be so bad mike but someone died because of the accident, if you get the blame for an accident and someone dies, you have to face the charges which in some circumstances can be really unfair. As I have said 10 years is a bit extreme but in my opinion he should be done for it, he tried to do a stunt through a crowd of people which is a bit stupid, as Alex said if it had been a car doing handbrake turns that killed someone would you think the same way about it then?

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 18:47 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
as Alex said if it had been a car doing handbrake turns that killed someone would you think the same way about it then?
If it was a car at a car meet I would think of it the same way.

mazza
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:57 - 19 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If an accident happens on a race circuit which involves a death, we're all saddened but there is an understanding that it's part of the course. Evenso, the authorities bolster up the safety aspect that much more until we arrive at the kind of safety record we have today where Formula 1 cars can walk away from spectacular crashes. Superbikers can also fall right off at incredible speeds and also walk away with just a few bruises. And the audience too are protected from flying debris and so on. Thanks to the work done by the organisers to ensure they're as safe as they can reasonably be at the present day.

These events though, have no safety effort at all. Nobody, presumably knows where not to stand. Anybody can participate with a bike irrespective of their experience and capability.

I know that risks are all around us and which means we don't live in a cotton woolled safety zone (nor should we). And I don't mean to sound like a killjoy. But these events organised in the this way, are an accident waiting to happen. Unfortunately, on occasions (such as this one), they're serious.

I'd put a stop to them. Sorry.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 337 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3