17%
 17%  [ 9 ]
Only in one side
33%
 33%  [ 17 ]
Elmit speekers
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
No you crazy bearded fool! what are you thinking?!?? Think of the kittens!!!
45%
 45%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 51

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Headphones on a bike? Reply with quote

Before anyone says it, yes i understand haveing headphones in while rideing can mask traffic noise and be generaly a terrible idea...

That out of the way who does? i'm not talking trips to asda more 400 mile stints to france or further.. long dull mindnumbingly monotonous journeys i'm talking about.

Ive only used them a couple of times but i have used sony inear noise canceling headphones, usually in one ear but it stops the naging temptation to knaw my arms off from boredom, i also concentrate better... um yeh i think that prity much justifys it as much as i can Razz

Has anyone got in elmit speekers? i'm considering fashoning some together, the heaphones i have, through the best ive used, get pritty damn uncomfortable after 200 miles of diging into your head...

completely understand they can be a bad idea but I hear well enough with one ear, as well as with plugs in...

What are your opinions on this?

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 01:36 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wear them always, im a music nut. Only problem is they influence your mood and thus riding style far too much... for instance bawitdaba by kid rock/the theme to mortal kombat... listen to either of them and youll be behaving like ghostrider fucking quickly. Erm one side is better cos its less cocooning but i like my music VERY loud so i would say both sides. And the pigs can be pedantic about it and sometimes they arent, but in my singular experience his exact comment was 'and a radio... nice touch' and my earphones blaring out rock on my chest... all good.
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:05 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only REAL thing i miss from a car is a cd player, not the heater, not the comfy seat, or sanctuary from the elements... i too hate being musicless..
My mp3player is only turned off when i need to sleep (whatever that is)

As for the mood swinging, i completely agree, MSI, SOAD, Deftones RARrrr shouty madness stays away, i keep my rideing tunes mellow..

Apparently some courriers have taken to playing classical music to keep them from tearing blind taxi drivers limb from limb... tho through bar/faring mounted speekers (not happening unfortuneately)

It really makes such a difference to have music going off for me, but i guess some people may be hugely distracted by it, guess its a personal thing...

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 09:56 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I understand that people have been done for driving without due care and attention for riding while using a personal stereo. I don't know whether that still happens (TC?), and the old recommendation used to be to use a single ear piece.

It rapidly shows how loud a helmet is given the fairly low speed the music is drowned out.

All the best

Keith

Ninja
Caption Abuser

PostPosted: 10:07 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO bad idea for two reasons:- 1)Isolates you that little bit more 2)Wind noise is loud enough - surely the volume required to listen to them would in normal circumstance be way above what is comfortable and healthy anyway?

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 10:29 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see it being good for long motorway journeys. You can't hear anything anyway at that speed. Plus they'll double as earplugs too. I wouldn't really use them round the town though.

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 10:31 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried to listen to music while riding, I think the earphones would be just too uncomfortable.

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:06 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use ear plugs to cancel out the noise from wind blast and I agree with uglymonkey. Surely you would have to have the headphones/speakers up a fair bit to hear the music over the wind noise. You would damage your ears even more.

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 11:13 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
you would have to have the headphones/speakers up a fair bit to hear the music over the wind noise. You would damage your ears even more.

I think if your mp3 player has a treble controller you should be able to have it so that it isn't so damaging to the ears. It's only really high frequencies that seem to bother me when really loud.

Visitor Q
$25 whore

PostPosted: 11:24 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
I use ear plugs to cancel out the noise from wind blast and I agree with uglymonkey. Surely you would have to have the headphones/speakers up a fair bit to hear the music over the wind noise. You would damage your ears even more.

True BUT there is a company who manufactures castings of your ear for the general ear plugs... well for an additional fee they put in headphones...

Also with me anyway i go to very very very loud rock gigs quite often so having my mp3 player a tad loud isnt a worry, i like it at full voume all the time anyway... otherwise i can still think... and thats no fun.

And i would keep away from the rar stuff, but depressive stuff can be even worse Neutral specially since on bikes suicidal urges are very very bad. So i keep the upbeat music, but yes i do frequently nip past people dangerously whilst headbanging one handed Shocked must remember not to do that on the goose ....
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:26 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProXimaCore wrote:
It's only really high frequencies that seem to bother me when really loud.

I didn't think that there was a particular stipulation to frequency, I've only heard that noise levels over 80db can cause permanent damage. It would be interesting to find out from someone who is in the know.

Normal helmet noise levels at 30mph are over 80db anyway. So surely not only would you have wind noise already over this level you would have the music contributing to it as well?

ProXimaCore
Dougal

PostPosted: 11:33 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
Normal helmet noise levels at 30mph are over 80db anyway. So surely not only would you have wind noise already over this level you would have the music contributing to it as well?

You do get those sony ear buds which block out nearly all noise. I'm not sure how well they would work whilst on a bike and combined with being under your lid. I had a pair of them a while ago and I used to crap myself if I was walking along a quiet road then suddenly a car went flying past. You couldn't hear it coming at all.

A little off topic but do any of you notice how difficult some things can become when you lose your sense of hearing? Such as trying to cross the road if you're out walking listening to music. Maybe it was just those headphones in particular.

Luke_Retrofly
Silly Lesbian

PostPosted: 12:14 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
They are just earplugs with added music, stop being fools Middle Finger .

Luke
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:55 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Warning! Motorcycle riding can generate dangerous levels of wind noise. Avoid prolonged exposure to excessive sound pressure levels. Loud earphone speaker volumes can also damage hearing. Wear earplugs and use as low an audio system volume as possible. These are the OSHA established maximum safe exposure times to sound pressure levels before hearing damage occurs (SPL=Sound Pressure Level at the eardrum):

90 dB SPL at 8 hours (average full coverage helmet at 40 mph)
95 dB SPL at 4 hours
100 dB SPL at 3 hours
105 dB SPL at 1 hour
110 dB SPL at 30 minutes
115 dB SPL at 15 minutes (average full coverage helmet at 70 mph)
120 dB SPL at 0 minutes (damage occurs)

The heaphones i have are the sony in ear noise cancely things, i use them when next doors 1year old decides 4am is the time to start screaming for a few hours, so they work as well as ear plugs.. so haveing them at a normal volume (my mp3player wont go all that loud anyway) wont make much difference.. still wouldn't have them in both ears, one with the earphone and one with an earplug i think might be the way to go for me...

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:41 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I found that with a tape player on full volume the wind noise stopped me being able to hear anything at from 40mph to 80mph depending on the helmet.

Years ago PB did a test of a load of helmets, with a noise meter with the microphone in the riders ear and then trying different helmets at 100mph on a CBR600. The quietest helmet was 105db (around 250 times as loud as a legal bike exhaust) and 120db (about 8000 times as loud as a legal bike exhaust).

All the best

Keith

Laura
Playboy Bunny

PostPosted: 15:25 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I tend to listen to music a lot of the time especially motorway runs stops me getting bored and losing concentration.

Adam_P
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:40 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm partially deaf anyway (almost total in one side) so if I had phones on too I'd never hear the engine.

I've thought about trying my cd player, but it wouldn't fit anywhere (I'm too fat for it to go inside my jacket) and I don't have an mp3 player.

I used ear plugs for the first time while riding back from Harrogate the other day. I felt really weird as I could hardly hear the engine - until I got it revving higher up the range - and I felt a little bit 'coccooned' from the rest of the world. I got used to it after the first 20 miles or so, but I was a little bit concerned that if anything started to go wrong with the bike and it began with a small noise, I'd miss it and it could get terminal or dangerous really quick without me realisng it. Neutral

Maybe I was being paranoid, or maybe it was just the voices telling me that. Wink

I'd use ear plugs again as they were good for the longer ride, but if I'm just going round the local roads I'd not bother. Although, now I'm revving it higher, it might be a good idea, I can be oblivious to the racket I'm making! Smile

But music? Wouldn't it take your concentration away a little bit? Duh, point of the thread. Embarassed

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:31 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noise i think is only really a problem if your doing real motorway/dual carrageway mileage or if you have a less than quiet can, i'd imagine that would do your head in quite a bit...

I dont think on reflection i'd have both headphones in though even for m-way cruiseing.. you need a spare ear to hear whats going off arround you...

I only notice the boredom when doing 50 miles in a straight line with nothing interesting happening, not much chance of looseing concentration going arround crazy bends on the cat and fiddle road!

zaknafien

PostPosted: 17:12 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like to hear the engine.

KevTM
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:14 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've tried earphones on ocassions before and all i can say is you need to have it turned up pretty loud to hear it once moving.. then when you come to a set of lights you have to turn it down again because it's too loud. It's not really practical imo.

Other than that, there's also safety etc.. personally like someone else said, i like to hear the engine and being aware of other noises rather than listenin' to music- and i love music too.

mrchips
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a Goldwing with a tape player already in it, maybe get 6x9s and subwoofer too Laughing .

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:43 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQDpAkETN3xo8WJMJGUTNHV6RU7m*0D0EHibmyar9zOfODXYjhpTn7pDIlTGdCPwpKpaJLRrvecqPifmZOsqvw1kXSazcnHNSBeSi2G1s6k/0516_0002.jpg?dc=4675472418418431128
https://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RQDdAj8TwXto8WJMJGUTNDlt4WFaw4U27zs0EsLuIT1ztT3k!LwZTarjBAW9jozF93sIRAYmGjp20vcivQgoUwnXFp4WBmTzwg2e5gtG4VY/0516_0000.jpg?dc=4675472418412986064

This is from a cx 500 b, same as mine (belonging to a guy in nottingham i think has it), wih a head unit and cd changer in the back... the difference is a big old vetter faring and gl back box, i think mines ugly enough for now tho Very Happy

At the time mine was made it was the sports touring alternative to the goldwing (and shares many parts) Very Happy

Not really practical for how few motorway miles i do, but a nice thought...

1cyl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:40 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Headphones? Pah!

I got a sub on my bike.
https://www.the-npf.com/gallery/albums/userpics/npfstaffbikes/stevebikes/normal_100_0136.JPG

And it works a treat.

(go on, laugh ur little heads off, i dont care, i like it)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 21:42 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should probably be a boi racer! Razz

mr.z
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:51 - 18 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think thats rather cool Cool

Howsat work then? what kind of amp is on it and what power e.t.c. your giveing me ideas Very Happy (though i don't think my girlfriend would appreciate that.... or would she....)

Last edited by mr.z on 22:53 - 18 May 2004; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 19 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2