Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CAN'T GET MY SWING ARM SPINDLE TO UNDO!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 20:06 - 09 Oct 2012    Post subject: CAN'T GET MY SWING ARM SPINDLE TO UNDO! Reply with quote

Hi there,
I'm quite agitated :@

I'm trying to remove my aprilia rs125 engine from the frame so I can change the gearbox

But I can't seem to loosen/undo the swing arm spindle!

I've loosened every other mounting bolt this is the last one!

I k ow it has a special tool to get some sort of threaded locking washer on it, I got that off without it but I can't get the spindle to budge

I've snapped my Allen key and bent my adjustable spanner
This thing isn't budging!

Any help please?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:10 - 09 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Not sure how you bend an adjustable spanner unless it is made of cheese.

2. Swingarm spindles are notorious for being a PITA to remove. Is it spinning at all? If not, get it spinning. Borrow some proper tools, preferably an impact gun electric/air to get it freed up a bit. Then hammer the other end WITH THE NUT ON flush with the top of the thread so you don't mushroom the end so it won't come out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thomp1983
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:27 - 09 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

you don't need to remove it, remove the locking washer as you have then you can undo and remove the bolt from the clutch side of the bike, no need to remove the allen key bit on the other side

chris

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 22:45 - 09 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it won't seem to come out?
I've removed the castleated lock and I can loosen the clutch side with a socket wrench all day long it doesn't seem to actually do anything?

Am I missing some plain obvious thing here?

_matt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:12 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bent an adjustable spanner last week, trying to get the rear wheel spindle out of a Honda CG.

Spanner on -> Jump up and down on spanner till the bloody thing loosened up -> bend spanner 45 degrees -> realise ive got a blowtorch to heat it up instead -> jobdone

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 11:06 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a blowtorch just expand the metal?

thomp1983
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:15 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a punch/drift that fits inside the Allen key hole on the right side and tap the bolt out with a hammer

thomp1983
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:15 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a punch/drift that fits inside the Allen key hole on the right side and tap the bolt out with a hammer

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:32 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

A what now? I've never heards of a punch/drift

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:53 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dannylewis27 wrote:
A what now? I've never heards of a punch/drift

Google is your friend
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thomp1983
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:30 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

A punch is a hardened piece of metal with different profiled ends you place against something you want to move or mark then hit with a hammer. A drift is similar but usually a softer metal than your hitting against so you don't damage or mark the workpiece. In your case an old screwdriver that fits in the hole would do

Chris

thomp1983
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:31 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

A punch is a hardened piece of metal with different profiled ends you place against something you want to move or mark then hit with a hammer. A drift is similar but usually a softer metal than your hitting against so you don't damage or mark the workpiece. In your case an old screwdriver that fits in the hole would do

Chris

thomp1983
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:38 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you've already removed the other 3 engine mount bolts all the engine weight will be on that last bolt making it harder to get out

Chris

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:46 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright thanks
Sorry I'm not too knowledgable this is my first time working in a bike or using special tools :/

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:56 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta learn somewhere and you'll learn that removing the stuck/corroded/fcknbstrd nuts is what seperates the men from the boys Smile

Penetrating oil, heat, impact driver/wrench and patience, lots of patience because the worst thing is breaking something else while giving the stuck bit some welly.

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 19:48 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! I gotta learn somehow, now

Can I just verify HOW it comes out, once I have removed the castellated lock, does it just tap out? (From the right out te left side)

Why does it have an Allen key hole in it if it doesn't loosen?

The left side (with a socket wrench) will undo until the cows come home but doesn't seem to actually unthread anything, and as I'm doing that side, the right side isn't spinning,

SOMEONE COME AND GET THIS FUCKER OUT FOR ME

10 pints on me lol

thomp1983
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:01 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

remove castellated nut, insert whatever your using as a drift in the hole where the allen key would go it will come up against something hard that's the bolt end then hit your drift squarely and solidly with a decent size hammer, make sure the other 3 engine mount bolts are back in the frame taking the weight off this bolt.

you'll see once you get it out it's a poor bit of design and easily corrodes, it also has pressure from the swing arm and rear shock on it but a hammer will get it out

chris

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 23:47 - 10 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!!

I did manage to get it out Bout 3 hours ago

The person I was with yesterday tried tapping it through but said it wouldn't budge so I didn't bother trying
Turns out he tried tapping the hole nut! Not tapping inside the Allen hole

Knob'ed :p

Anyway it's off and out now Smile

Now the fun really begins

I have a really really loud rattling noise, like a coin in a washing machine and it won't select first gear!

I bought the bike and without realising it had no oil plug on the clutch cover
(Sill I know, my fault)

Anyway it ran for 5 minutes before it jammed I got it to run by re oiling it but dice then it won't click down to first and I have the above mentioned rattle

So I'm going to check the gear selector fork and bearings

Any advice on that?

thomp1983
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:19 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im at work on phone so can't write a detailed reply. You can get to the gear change mechanism just by removing the clutch cover. I suspect you'll find it's not just a simple problem id expect your plastic balance gears to be ruined and possibly the bearings for the balance shaft all these can be inspected with the clutch cover off. Anything you remove keep in the exact same order it comes off including the directions circlips and washers face it needs to go back together in the exact same order. Post a picture up of the engine with the clutch cover off.

Chris

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:51 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old man is a biker from days of yore and he is always saying how you shouldent ride a bike if you haven't taken an engine to bits put it back together then got it running again. So chin up! Your scoring more man points with my old man than I do! Smile

I used to spend hours when I was younger fixing up old bangers so I can sympathise. Stuck bolts are one of the most annoying frustrating things to deal with. That and having parts lft over after reassembly :-/

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 16:20 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah finally some sympathetic people with real advice!

I got trolled last night for having an RS125 without a being a bike pro basically!

Fuck it I gotta learn somehow and it ain't exactly running at the minute so I got nothing to loose!

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:10 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q28/joeymaybe/th_CC38CA65-CAFD-4852-9935-68BD26069424-1380-0000014D92F83918.jpg

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:11 - 11 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay the video didn't work

Watch it here

https://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q28/joeymaybe/?action=view¤t=CC38CA65-CAFD-4852-9935-68BD26069424-1380-0000014D92F83918.mp4&evt=user_media_share

thomp1983
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 11:17 - 12 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm that's not good buddy, it shouldn't be locking up like that but you already know that. your probably going to have to split the gearbox apart, first remove the barrel and turn it over by hand again to see if it still locks up, that will rule out it being an issue with the barrel. at a guess id say one of the balance shaft bearings has seized and is causing the locking up. if it's still locking up remove the clutch assembly (undo the 6 bolts in the middle remove the plate/springs, remove the centre nut and pull off the whole clutch assembly.), with the clutch off then remove the two yellow plastic balance shaft gears, with them removed you should be able to turn the balance shaft itself by hand and see if it feels notchy/locks up.

either way id say your looking at replacing all the bearings (£40 set on ebay), a full gasket set (£20 ebay) 2 new balance shaft gears (£25 from pjme) as a minimum, plus anything elese that may be broken when you get the gearbox apart (probably nothing, the actual gear units themselves are quite robust it's the bearings that take the damage). removing/fitting the new bearings is a bit of a pain, getting the old ones out can be interesting and refitting the new ones includes several cycles of heating the engine casings in the oven and freezing bearings/crank at different stages but it's fairly straight forward to do.

when you drained the remains of the oil from the gearbox were there any traces of anything in it either metal shards or bits of plastic?

and tidy up your work space, you'll find it alot easier to do the job with some clear space to put things down in, in the order they were removed without having to scrabble around in piles of other stuff

chris

Dannylewis27
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:34 - 12 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to clear a space when I get home from work today, I just out it there out of the rain.

Oh well what you said about the gearbox is handy! Hopefully it's not broke
I really don't want to have to remove that

So can I access the everything I need without splitting the crank case or is that inevitable?

If its okay I will record videos of each stage and any noises it makes so you can help diagnose what it could be

And I'd be happy if it was just the bearings but that sounds like a lot of hassle putting it in and out of the oven and freezing!?
I didn't know I had to do that! :/
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 197 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4