Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

PLEASE HELP - Bike's voltage drops low (more info inside)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to The Workshop by Kickstart (28 Oct 2012 - 18:24)
View previous topic : View next topic  

JBL
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:48 - 27 Oct 2012    Post subject: PLEASE HELP - Bike's voltage drops low (more info inside) Reply with quote

so i'm a new rider with little experience on how the electrics work so apologies about that.

here's my problem, with a fully charged battery everything works great but it seems to drop a lot of voltage when riding with the lights on.

here's some results from testing:
-nothing on - 11.98v
-just engine on with revs - voltage rises to over 13v
-after engine is turned off from rising to over 13 it drops to about 12.2
(this makes me think that it isn't a problem with the battery charging)

-JUST LIGHT ON - drops immediately to a pathetic 8.9v
-engine and lights on with revs - very slowly rises from 8.9v to only 9.2v (lights too dim to drive safely at night)

I would really really appreciate if someone could tell me what to do from here, thanks.

Turkish
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 18:57 - 27 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be in the workshop really Thumbs Up

What bike is it?

JBL
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:03 - 27 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkish wrote:
Should be in the workshop really Thumbs Up

What bike is it?

rieju rs2 50 2004. piece of junk to be honest

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 27 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an expert by any means of the word, not sure even, but couldn't this be caused by a short/bad earth on the lights wiring somewhere?

BigGeeking
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 01:40 - 28 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to the forum mate
1st should be posted in the work shop for things like this but never mind.

With the volts dropping that low the battery is shit, is it a MF battery or a serviceable battery you can top up with electrolyte.

If it is the latter top it up and recharge.

The charging of the battery on the bike when running sounds good 13V

What are the volts across the battery when cranking it?

But with the info you have give us the battery is fooked new battery time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Stalk
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:49 - 28 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had exactly the same problem with w 125 Sanya, turned out to be a short circuit to earth on the rear light. Unplug all the lighting connectors. See if battery voltage is ok with lightswich on. Leave lightswich on and start to plug things back together. Voltage will drop sharply and dashboard will dim dramatically when affected light plugged in.. that should point you in the right direction. Than its a case of visual inspection and measureing for continity on that part. Where are you?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:31 - 28 Oct 2012    Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP - Bike's voltage drops low (more info inside Reply with quote

JBL wrote:
here's some results from testing:
-nothing on - 11.98v
-just engine on with revs - voltage rises to over 13v
-after engine is turned off from rising to over 13 it drops to about 12.2
(this makes me think that it isn't a problem with the battery charging)

-JUST LIGHT ON - drops immediately to a pathetic 8.9v
-engine and lights on with revs - very slowly rises from 8.9v to only 9.2v (lights too dim to drive safely at night)

Your voltage with nothing turned on is a bit low, so the battery might not be that healthy. A bit over 13V is probably about right with the engine idling. With the engine being revved to a half decent amount it should get up to about 14.5v.

However the lights on is dropping the voltage FAR too much.

Possible that you just have a too powerful headlight bulb in there, or something else that is putting a large load on the system (including a possible short).

Also probably worth checking that the wiring through the stator is OK. How many wires are there from the stator to the regulator / rectifier? If there are 3 then check the resistance between each pair of the 3 (ie, say we call them A, B and C, check A to B, then A to C and then B to C). Resistance should be the same, but possible one of the coils in there has fried leaving it only charging on part of the stator (had this happen on a GPZ500, charging was a little down but with the lights on it would slowly flatten the battery)

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 154 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1