Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

what do you use for alloy polishing?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:52 - 25 Oct 2012    Post subject: what do you use for alloy polishing? Reply with quote

I've been trying to polish the aluminium charge air pipework on my car today, mainly using Autosol and old rags. It's better than it was, but is there any better ways to polish alloy tubing especially in tight access areas?

I spose I'm being lazy really, as if I stripped all the induction pipework out, I could use my bench mounted polishing wheel or an expanding drum to fit the tube and use in my drill. Don't think I'll be doing that though, as stripping down miles of pipework and hose clamps just to buff up a few pipes is not really a great use of time lol!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 25 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get felt polishing wheels for dremel type drills that would get into tightish areas and do it quicker than by hand but for the time it would take it would be quicker to take the pipes off and use your bench polisher.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:50 - 26 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use nothing because polishing alloy is a fools errand. Once you start, you can never stop.

It will not make it any faster, more reliable or better handling.

harscot
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:55 - 26 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I use nothing because polishing alloy is a fools errand. Once you start, you can never stop.

It will not make it any faster, more reliable or better handling.

Laughing but it will look nice Thumbs Up

Try Tcut or duraglit, both should work well Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:38 - 26 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it another go by hand with some metal polish/t-cut over the weekend, and then throw up a pic of how I've wasted 1/2 a day lol!

I'm tending to agree with Stinkwheel now, as I won't see any shiny alloy pipes when I'm behind the wheel, and the breather catch tank will probably throw a load of oil mist all over everything anyway! Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pike
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 23:13 - 27 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Very true.

69chris
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:17 - 27 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i once read somewhere that when you have rubbed the polish (autosol etc) in use newspaper to do the final 'rubbing',
something to do with the paper thats (apparently) better than rags to get a shine

dunno if its true, never tried it meself but worth a go ??

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:32 - 28 Oct 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polishing is NUTS.

But if you must....

Autosol is the correct grade of grit to use. You must use a compound specific for alloy use due to the size of particles and the way alloy comes off in blobs rather then the dust that comes off steel.

You can use polish impregnated tape to go around things and polish with a sawing action.

Getting into corners requires/involves teadiumness. Cotton Buds on a dremmel or something.

Once polished though the bright finnish will soon tarnish and need doing over again. Although once up to a standard it's not such a slog to maintain.
One solution is to ignore the dificult areas and concentrate on the easy bits.

But shiny still looks mint.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 153 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1