BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aprilia RS 125 VS Yamaha YZF R125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op check insurance on intended bikes and factor that in, tpo is good for cheap insurance and to help you keep it upright Thumbs Up

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 18:47 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: Aprilia RS 125 VS Yamaha YZF R125 Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
OP isn't even 17 yet, so he's going to be stuck on a 125 until he's 19. Might as well get the one that he wants (ooh-ooh-ooh, baby) rather than a sensible dull one. one he can afford to insure!

Still lots of good reasons to pick a sensible bike...... even if you will be stuck with it a while, though 'stuck' is a bit of negative language, MANY riders spend more than one CBT period on a Learner-Legal and dont find it so much of an impediment as to bother taking tests Rolling Eyes

keewayhurricane1 wrote:
almost 17 and looking for a 125, narrowed it to the aprilia rs 125 and the yamaha YZF R125,

Personally I'd wident that back out a bit, NEITHER are wonderfully sensible first bike choices.

YZF-R125 is horendousely expensive, both to buy, and to insure, for nothing other than the name on the tank and the styling. Slap an L-Plate on it and that premium for the asthetic becomes a 'joke' becouse no-one, even those that dont know much about bikes, will be kidded into thinking its a 'fast' bike, or even anything particularly 'special'.

Meanwhile, thier short track-record has suggested that they are not as wonderfully 'reliable' as perhaps they ought to be, especially if they are neglected or abused in newbie 'ignorance' - told that they are just a 'commuter-bike' in fancy dress, and expecting them to be as thrasheable and tolerant of forgotten maintenance as a CG125. They aren't.

RS125? Again, horrendously expensive to buy, and insure and to run. As Keith says, even if you keep it Learner-Legal, maintenance demands do not come cheap, and THAT is a bike I would baulk at running as a week-end 'toy', and I could DIY all my own maintenance to a high standard, and only have to pay, oh..... £300 a year insurance on..... give you a clue, that's about twice what my 750 costs..... and it would cost MORE to run per mile Shocked

Seriously, Keith reckons that he got 50mpg from his on a GOOD day! I get that 'average' from my 750, and I don't have to chuck 1l of expensive two-stroke oil in the reservoir for every 50L of petrol I stick in the petrol tank...... That's about £15's worth every 500 miles...... my 750 had 'maintenence free' hydraulic tappets, so it likes frequent oil changes, as in every 1000-1500miles..... so it works out about the same on that score. but 750 doesn't need new pistons & rings every 2000Km or whatever the interval is.

Meanwhile to exploit the handling that a bike like that has to offer, needs good tyres and fairly frequently, brake pads likewise, and lots of care and attension to keep it 'crisp'.

All in, they are a huge amount of fun as an occassional 'toy' for an expert rider that wants something demanding to ride to try and get the best from it, but they are bludy expensive, and mile on mile, as much to run as a 'big' bike.

As an every day machine? CRIPPLING. And wasting SO much merely to keep it in decent fettle, while commuting so you could, as a young and inexperienced rider, NOT really apreciate what its doing on that Sunday thrash.

Stint on the maintenance, because of the costs using it as every-day rider..... come Sunday thrash, it wont deliver, and will probably break.

I'd take BOTH off the list, and look hard at alternatives, TBH.

And as a teen-ager once... I would ponder 'long term' outlooks greater than oh...... a month? What seems all important today can change in what appears an eye-blink to an old crone like me!
Two years is not 'for-ever'...

Insurance is oft the crippler, and that is where I would start. For a young rider, under 18, insurance is high, as in price of a bike high. AND if you are under 18, these 'pay-monthly' schemes can be a shitter, because they are not pay-as-you-go, they are an annual policy, and a years credit deal... which you have to be over 18 to legally take out.... means some-one has to under-write the credit scheme for you or pay for your insurance. Teen-income is also often unpredictable, and it can be a bone of contention if circumstances change or things don't go to plan. I MUCH preffer paying up-dont for a year's policy, then putting aside the monthly payments so I can do like-wise next year... no contension and you save maybe 15% of policy price against the credit charges, more against any 'change' penalties'.

So, plan on paying insurance upfront, that could cut your budget in half.

AND rather than looking at RS's or YZF's, you are looking at YBR's & CG's.

No BAD thing actually, insurance will probably go down a LOT for such a choice meaning actually you haven't got to rob out the budget SO much to pay it.

AND you have a bike that is less likely to cost an arm and a leg to run, and poses a HELL of a lot less risk that if, and its more likely a 'when' you stack it, you can fix, and fix economically, AND have cash to do so, rather than being stuck with a monthly insurance bill, stretched to the max to buy the thing in the first place, and a big bill to put the thing to rights and get back on the road.

17 years old again? AND under new 3rd directive licence laws? I'd be inclined to go old-skool-kool.

Kawasaki KH100/125, Suzuki GP100/125, Yamaha RXS100.

The two-stroke 100's in 'My' youth were the thinking man's choice. Air-cooled, they were as low-tech as you could get, and as rugged as they came. The 100's were also as powerful as Learner-Limits allowed, about 12bhp, without having to be restricted, and were cheaper to insure, and I'm pretty sure tax as well.

They were as quick as anything else that legally carried an L-Plate, could be run on a shoe-string and were tolerant of a lot of abuse and general numptiness.

And now... well, the 'cult' of the CG125 was brought about by the fact that in the mid 1990's they made the minimum capacity for testing 120cc, which meant that the old 100's couldn't get you a full licence.

Well, 3rd Directive means you cant get a full licence with a 125 anyway; you only get an A1 '125' only licence, so WHY pay the premium for a 'full' 125? Those old-skool virtues of the old air-cooled 100's & 125's make even more sense now-a-days.....

But that's me.

I would avoid the sports-bikes completely these days, TBH. As a genre, they are kiddie-go-kwik bikes, and thier owners will tend to rag the arse out of them trying to go fast, and if they have any mind for maintenence, are more likely to spend it making them less reliable, with notions of 'de-restriction' or tuning, than doing proper preventative maintenance like new chains & tyres, changing fork oil and the like.

The older less tuned two-strokes, ought to be a tad more relible by dint of being less highly strung than an RS125, but as likely to be as unreliable by dint of being the poor-man's choice in that market.

I would avoid knobly shod dirt-bikes..... nie on as fast as anything else with an L-Plate, and usually pretty robust due to heav=duty off-road ruggedness, but unfortunately a theft magnet, and just as expensive to insure as a sports-bike.

Cruisers... we dont mention.

Leaves the sensible 'commuter-learners' as the sensible choice.......

End of the day, a bike that is where you left it in the morning, starts when you put the key in the ignition, goes and goes reasonably well when you select a gear and twist the throttle, and leaves cash in your pocket to GO PLACES on the thing, is a good bike, and can deliver a HELL of a lot of 'fun', even if it isn't all adrenaline jacked, speed-thrills.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:35 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about an MZ 125, very cool retro underdog bike and a simply built easy to fix option. If I was 17 again that's what I would go for. There's a guy who's into MZs who parks his various models at the bike park I use near work and they always inspire a lot of admiring chat amongst the rets of us who park there. The word "cool" often being in the conversations. In years to come you can say "back when I started I had an MZ 125" and knowing nods will follow. Get an RS or YZF and there will be no knowing nods but probably just knowing looks.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2