Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aprilia RS 125 VS Yamaha YZF R125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

keewayhurrica...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:56 - 03 Nov 2012    Post subject: Aprilia RS 125 VS Yamaha YZF R125 Reply with quote

almost 17 and looking for a 125, narrowed it to the aprilia rs 125 and the yamaha YZF R125, just cant decide between the two, any advice would be good, the bike would be for commuting and occasionaly give it a quick burn,
i have heard aprilia rs125's are unreliable and spend most of their lives in the garage, is this true, also heard that the yamaha is much slower but heard it is more reliable,
please help

Last edited by keewayhurricane1 on 00:11 - 04 Nov 2012; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:00 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commuting and a quick burn?

Surely a bigger bike would be ideal?

But out of the 2, probably a YBR125. Does the same as the above with cheaper insurance and running costs.

Commuter + RS125 doesn't sound ideal unless you are pretty handy with spanners.

The YZF is nothing more than a slightly more powerful YBR in a dress. Real bikers laugh at 125 sports riders Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

There so such thing as REAL bikers. Idea Rolling Eyes

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 00:10 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

covdude wrote:
There so such thing as REAL bikers. Idea Rolling Eyes

Pass your test and you'll be one. Wink

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:12 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is an actual sense, and soul to be attached to being a so called real biker, then it dont include tests and licenses and suchlike. Smile

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:14 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought of an example, if was on pc would put pic up.

But real biking is two up, on that monkey type bike in dummer and dummer, pissing on one another in the cold, now thats real biking !

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:45 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: Aprilia RS 125 VS Yamaha YZF R125 Reply with quote

keewayhurricane1 wrote:

i have heard aprilia rs125's are unreliable and spend most of their lives in the garage, is this true, also heard that the yamaha is much slower but heard it is more reliable,

Restricted the YZF and RS will be about the same performance. Just that with little effort the RS can be derestricted and gain 10hp or more.

RS is not that unreliable, but does have fairly high maintenance requirements, and being restricted doesn't really reduce those requirements.

All the best

Keith

illuminateTHE...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:59 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

##Paddy## wrote:
Commuting and a quick burn?

Surely a bigger bike would be ideal?

But out of the 2, probably a YBR125. Does the same as the above with cheaper insurance and running costs.

Commuter + RS125 doesn't sound ideal unless you are pretty handy with spanners.

The YZF is nothing more than a slightly more powerful YBR in a dress. Real bikers laugh at 125 sports riders Thumbs Up
anti sporty 125 are out in force today xD. OP Yamaha yzf r125 is a much more reliable bike. BTW i get plenty of nods on my yzf r125cc -_-.

illuminateTHE...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

covdude wrote:
Just thought of an example, if was on pc would put pic up.

But real biking is two up, on that monkey type bike in dummer and dummer, pissing on one another in the cold, now thats real biking !
1+ Thumbs Up
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 11:34 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

illuminateTHEmind wrote:
Yamaha yzf r125 is a much more reliable bike.

I haven't heard of many YBRs, CBRs or CGs smashing their pistons and leaving your engine in tatters. Think its the YZF R125 that has this issue Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:53 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your budget, and how big are you?

Sure, the RS125 will be quicker, if you ride it at full power. So will any other bike that makes more power than your provisional entitlement allows.

You're obviously after a pointy bike, so my suggestion would be a well used CBR125R, if you can get on with the small size. Loads of parts, cheaper to buy, own and drop. Don't sweat the top end, any learner legal 125 will give as much as you need and not as much as you want.

keewayhurrica...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 12:26 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

budget is about 1800

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:28 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

keewayhurricane1 wrote:
budget is about 1800

Then you'll get a shit YZF or a good RS.

Problem being... you could get a CBR125 and your test done.

keewayhurrica...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:01 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am reasonably tall i i dont think that i would fit on to a cbr 125 without looking a bit stupid as the cbr is a small bike. Are there any other options other than the yamaha or the aprilia.

symonh2000
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 13:06 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

NSR125
TZR125
RG125F

All 2 stroke race reps, but are not as highly strung as the aprilia RS and are therefore easier to live with.

4 strokes are more reliable in general, but are less fun and when they do break they are more difficult to fix.

For a commuter bike that is cheap to buy and run an RXS100 takes some beating. It will easily beat a CG125 or YBR125 off the lights, and do a similar to speed to the YZF-R125

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:28 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nearly 6 foot and find the CBR fine.. it is a little small but lets face it.. doing your test and getting the 600.. thats bigger.

Hyosung GT125R

dandavidgreen...
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 13:47 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: 125 Reply with quote

If you thinking of doing your test before the 19th of jan don’t get an expensive 125 as you will only replace it with a bigger bike, I found this out the hard brought a new bike a passed my test a few months later and decided that I wanted a bigger bike.
If you’re not going to be doing your full bike test before the 19th of jan it may be a good idea to get a 125 you feel happy with and that is reliable and in expensive to run. The aprilla will be more fun as two strokes are faster but the Yamaha will be better if you want to have the running cost lower as you won’t have to buy the two stroke oil as well as petrol

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:37 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your getting mixed up between the Aprilia RS125 (which is 2 Stroke and makes 30hp, so not a legal learner bike) and the Aprilia RS4 125 which is about the same power as the YZF 125. I think the RS4 has a Yamaha engine in it as well though I'm not sure.

You could look at a WR125X or R if you decide against the sports bike style. They're nice and tall with plenty of poke and you won't look like your perched on a toy bike.

wizzzard
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say throw all sensible thinking right out the window and go for whichever one turns you on the most. Laughing

The RS does it for me but then again the most impractical everyday vehicles I've owned tended to be the most fun. Thumbs Up

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i have a 25 bhp naked 2t, and as much as its fun for what it is around town and suchlike, if you have plans before your next cbt to to das etc, then leave them be, get a bigger bike after test.

But they are afaik, shitloads more fun than 4t 125s. Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:53 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

covdude wrote:
Well, i have a 25 bhp naked 2t

Proof is required. I estimate 19hp Thumbs Up

WannaBeDude
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:09 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

19 then .. like i ve dynoed it, got a compression tester, thats more important ! Smile
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:45 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP isn't even 17 yet, so he's going to be stuck on a 125 until he's 19. Might as well get the one that he wants (ooh-ooh-ooh, baby) rather than a sensible dull one.

Still reckon CBR125 if pointy, or a good GT125R. Ask the owner specifically if it comes with a gypsy curse - tthey have to tell you if you ask. Smart money probably goes on a Varadero though, or a VanVan if you're a beatnick.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2