Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Only one question (well really 2)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

open
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:17 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Only one question (well really 2) Reply with quote

How should I destroy my L plates?!?!?!?!?!

Hahaha Was gonna take a video of my taping them to a firework yesterday but didn't get the chance.

I passed my test over the weekend (33bhp) and glad I finally done it. I ended up taking a 2 hour lesson on the Friday to brush up on stuff (the only lesson I ever took) and got a few minors on test for the same stuff the instructor picked up on - so I'm glad I spent the money really. Took the test in Uxbridge - was a slow and uneventful ride - just what I needed! On the only NSL road I was stuck behind a learner car doing 45 haha.

Second question is what bike to get.

Was in the market for a cheap 500 commuter, but an SV650 came up for a little over my budget...Quite local to me as well...Arrgh I can't afford it..but I can..but...ahhh!

Any suggestions?

[s]Baotian BT49qt-9 --> Honda CG125 (4 speed) '51 plate ----- 03/11/2012 Mod 2 PASSED! --> Cb500s[/s] Revoked Sad

CarlosCBR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:54 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV definitely. Will be much more fun than a 500 commuter and will also sound a lot fruitier with an open pipe on it!

https://www.facebook.com/carl.simmonds.7
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:02 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do you have to spend.

Well done Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

open
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 14:13 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was looking to spend between £500 - £1000 pounds on something like a CB500, ER-5, GPZ500, etc.
But as of this week there is not a lot coming up.

The SV is £1200 with new MOT and service, which is a good price for an SV, but over my budget (I'm poor lol). I could stretch it...

There is a dealer near me selling a GPZ500 for £995 but that is a bit steep for it, no?

[s]Baotian BT49qt-9 --> Honda CG125 (4 speed) '51 plate ----- 03/11/2012 Mod 2 PASSED! --> Cb500s[/s] Revoked Sad

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:22 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get lots of bike for £1k.

What are you using it for exactly? A 33hp Thundercat would keep up with a 33hp SV650 and vice versa. An unrestricted one will outpace an SV.

You can get one in a tidy condition for £1000. Mine was £1150 and it was VERY clean.

All depends what its for really. I'm not a fan of the SV, but some people love them. You'll pick up a Hornet/Thundercat/Bandit/Fazer for around a grand and they will be pretty fun, a little boring on 33hp but still, miles more bike once those damn washers are out Mr. Green
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:56 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niiiiiiice. Thumbs Up

I'm enjoying my GPZ500, but I'm a borg of modest aspirations. If you're in any doubt that you might get buyer's remorse, go bigger. There's little sense in getting less bike than you want, they're for grins. Very Happy

Usual advice: get your budget together in cash (that way you know what you can really afford), be patient, be quick, ignore the asking price and offer what you think a bike is worth.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 17:24 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Usual advice: get your budget together in cash (that way you know what you can really afford), be patient, be quick, ignore the asking price and offer what you think a bike is worth. seller will accept

You've listed all the usual suspects as far as first-big-bikes go. I'd choose on price / condition / availability rather than specific model.

ER5's seem to offer most bike for your money at the moment, & I suspect give a bit more low down 'oomph' for your cash if restricted.

GS5's probably take restriction even better, only needing a couple of ponies clipped off the top, and are more DIY maintainable, though that has pro's & cons & many these days DIY'd to death, probably as much risk that when something goes 'pop' they are scrap as with a water-cooled GPz5 or SV.

SV is most sophisticated of the bunch & DOHC V-Twin makes it probably the least DIY freindly bike, and they do suffer poor quality finish. But, does give a modern plushness. 70bhp in full power form is pretty respectable and enough to be a very useful all-round every-day bike; suspect many people's objections is that styled like a litre-sport twin they expect more thunder & lighting & dont get it, they just get a fairily composed unremarkableness... that leaves them rather un-stired, where even a GS500 would seem exiting, by virtue of the drama thrashing the thing to go similar speeds or round corners.

There are always going to be bikes 'just' over your budget that make you go 'ooooh' should I stretch....... would I stretch 20% for an SV? Well.... 'No'. I'd not anti-up and pay a premium for an SV over an ER5. I would anti-up to get a newer, better condition, fewer owner, machine, though, whatever the make & model...

So is the SV significantly younger / better than the GPz? Or anything else on offer now, or in near future.

Remember, it's a FULL licence, not a big-bike-licence. No one will take it off you if you don't get a bigger bike within the month!

Crap weather is here. Biking 'season' is pretty much over. Bikes are being put away for winter. After Christmas, well, week after 30th Jan you'll see the Christmas-Credit-Card-Clearance sales.... if you want a real bargain, though choice will probably be limited, then come March market will start to pick up again & you'll start getting a lot more choice.

I would advocate patience. Remember Rushing is always a fast way to get hurt on a motorbike.

And I would plan to ride out the winter on the 125.... no point risking a nice shiney P&J machine getting dumped on wet leaves, or loosing its nice finish putting up with road-salt & slush, or sitting in a garage unused.

Keep my eyes open, and wait and see what comes along, maybe add pennys to the pot as I could, and plan merely to have 'something' more for next summer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1