Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Shark or Shoei ?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

Spy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:10 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Shark or Shoei ? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am buying my first helmet, having borrowed a friend's spare Shoei for the past few weeks.

I have narrowed it down to the S900c or Shoei Qwest.

I have tried both on and they both fit great but am debating with myself which would be the best value helmet.

I am wondering if the Shoei is worth the extra £75 difference between them. Interested in people's views.

Here are my thoughts:

Shark S900C:
Pros:
- Nice design
- Great reports on its anti-fog coating
- Ability to pump up the cheek pads for tighter fit
- Integrated Sun Visor (extremely useful for those winter mornings where you get the sun glaring at you as you turn a corner and can be flipped away for later in the day when it gets darker/mistier)

Cons:
- Thermoplastic construction
- No SNELL rating
- 4* SHARP rating

Shoei Qwest:
Pros:
- Good reports on sound proofing (comparatively)
- SNELL 2010 rated
- Fibreglass construction
- Pinlock included

Cons:
- No integrated Sun visor (means I would have to have to use the clear visor and risk being blinded by the sun)
- 5* SHARP rating

As you can see, the Shark seems to have the better features but is let down by its Thermoplastic construction and lack of SNELL accreditation. The Sun Visor seems to be a real bonus to me though.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:23 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they both fit perfectly well and you have no issue with the cost of either helmet then go for the one with the features you like. I have the Shark lid you are looking at and I must say that the internal sun visor has been incredibly useful, especially at this time of year. The downside to it is that it doesn't fit my nose properly so I had to modify it a little. On the other hand a pinlock insert is easy to fit if the posts are already on the visor.

If you really can't choose between the two, buy the one with the design that you like Thumbs Up

Rogue_Shadow
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without pictures or knowing how they would fit.
It would be the Shark for me
4* Thumbs Up
Sun visor Thumbs Up
Adjustable fit via cheek pads Thumbs Up
Anti fog built in (could aways install pinlock late for less than £75) Thumbs Up

bikertomm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the one that fits you best mate.

I'd be getting the one that felt the best and 'tighter' out of the two.

Then go onto features and gizmo's.

I have a Shoei-XR1100, without a sun visor. This is hardly a 'con' because you can get dark / smoked visors for when it's sunny. Personally I don't even think twice about using one. Just saying incase you didn't know these are available!

Thumbs Up

ginny
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just bought a qwest for lids direct with 25%, thanks to another thread kicking about. Tried it in a shop and could feel the quality, coming from a very old OGK FF4. similar weights but shoei felt lighter, maybe centre of gravity? Pinlock is supposed to work great. Not tried any sharks though an 'anti-fog' coating on the shark will probably not work/ disappear after a couple of washes. I used a helmet with flip down sun visor- it just misted up.

my only concern is wind noise, but i guess you cant check that in the shop!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ginny
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have just bought a qwest for lids direct with 25%, thanks to another thread kicking about. Tried it in a shop and could feel the quality, coming from a very old OGK FF4. similar weights but shoei felt lighter, maybe centre of gravity? Pinlock is supposed to work great. Not tried any sharks though an 'anti-fog' coating on the shark will probably not work/ disappear after a couple of washes. I used a helmet with flip down sun visor- it just misted up.

my only concern is wind noise, but i guess you cant check that in the shop!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 04 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for the one that fits first, within your price range, then do the brands and colour scheme stuff.

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:02 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I come around to changing my lid I will be doing it on what ever fits the best and has an internal sun visor, sod riding around with two visors or having spare visors.
00:32:08 Blau Zedong: yes, i am a massive CB400 fan and collector
00:33:00 Blau Zedong: the CB400 is my favourite road bike

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:33 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermoplastic versus tungsten carbide fibreglass is a non issue according to this study, which also notes that in practice, helmets that are only Snell rated are the least protective.

ECE (275g) and DOT (400g peak but practically 250g) are both stricter than BSI/Snell (300g).

ginny wrote:
I used a helmet with flip down sun visor- it just misted up.

Sadly, that. And you'll only find that out when you flip it down, i.e. exactly when you need it most. Found that one out this morning. Shocked

We need a pinlock for sun visors... Thinking

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:54 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been mulling over this for some time. I have a Shoei XR1100, which I've had for about a year and I love. The one major con is no flip-down visor. Fumbling around in the tank bag for my sunglasses while sitting at a set of lights near Kings Cross (and praying they stay red long enough) is a real pain in the arse. However, I've also heard that the built-in ones mist up easily (or even flip down ready-misted...).

Since I've just passed my test (still smile when I say that!), I've kitted out my wife as a pillion. She picked out a Scorpion with a flip-down visor. I'm going to see how she gets along with that for a bit. In the meantime, I'm finally going to relent and get an "illegal" tinted visor (did I mention I passed my test?) and carry the spare in the top box.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: Shark or Shoei ? Reply with quote

Spy wrote:

Shoei Qwest:
Cons:
- 5* SHARP rating

Why is a 5* SHARP rating a con?

Anyway - the Shoei has a double D fastner, fiddly but the best and safest strap design.

The Shoei also has multiple shells used in construction meaning that the shell is matched to the size of the helmet. You don't end up with a one size fits all lid stuffed with varying thicknesses of expanded poly.

Remember also that the recommended lifespan of thermoplastic is 3 years, fiberglass and composites last for 5.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:30 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: Shark or Shoei ? Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Remember also that the recommended lifespan of thermoplastic is 3 years, fiberglass and composites last for 5.

By who, and on what basis?

Genuine question, since "fibreglass" can be (re-enforced) thermoplastic.

Spy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:33 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Thermoplastic versus tungsten carbide fibreglass is a non issue according to this study, which also notes that in practice, helmets that are only Snell rated are the least protective.

ECE (275g) and DOT (400g peak but practically 250g) are both stricter than BSI/Snell (300g).

ginny wrote:
I used a helmet with flip down sun visor- it just misted up.

Sadly, that. And you'll only find that out when you flip it down, i.e. exactly when you need it most. Found that one out this morning. Shocked

We need a pinlock for sun visors... Thinking

I have also heard that the sun visor can mist up but I imagine you would have the same issue sunglasses ?

The alternative is two visors but that is a pain, particularly in winter when the ride to work can be sunny but the ride home dark !

In the summer, you might be able to get away with one I guess

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:13 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spy wrote:
I have also heard that the sun visor can mist up but I imagine you would have the same issue sunglasses ?

Helmet + balaclava + sunglasses was an impossibility for me. The balaclava channeled air up to the sunglasses which misted up instantly due to the temperature difference.

I was blind. I had to take them off before I had even set off.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: Shark or Shoei ? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Matt B wrote:

By who, and on what basis?

Genuine question, since "fibreglass" can be (re-enforced) thermoplastic.

The manufacturers themselves for one, and also the Snell Foundation:

"Like most major helmet manufacturers, Arai subscribes to the Snell Memorial Foundation benchmark of five years as the suggested usable lifespan of a motorcycle helmet. Why? Think of a helmet in terms of your body. No matter how good it may look, or how well you take care of it, age still takes its toll. Even with minimal use, a helmet is affected by things like the acids and oils in sweat, haircare products, pollution, exposure to UV rays, etc. At about the five-year mark, helmet interiors begin to show wear and/or deterioration, which should serve as an alert to its overall condition. The helmet's fit may begin to feel a little "loose", not as snug as it once did. This unseen aging and deterioration of the EPS liner and fiberglass shell can affect the helmet's ability to perform in an impact as it was originally designed. If a helmet suffers an impact and any doubt exists as to its further ability to protect, it should either be returned to the manufacturer for competent inspection or discarded and replaced.

These are the reasons to replace your helmet after five years. Of course, if your helmet becomes less than snug in fit, or damaged, it should be replaced before the five year mark. And when you do, you may want to remember that Arai was the first company willing to warranty its helmets for the full Snell-recommended usable lifespan."

Thermoplastics suffer more from UV degradation so the lifespan drops to 3 years.

You should of been told this on your CBT also as it is what the DSA teach us at Cardington to pass on to the trainees.

Do what you like, ignore the lifespan if you want because at the end of the day it is your head and brain, not mine. I don't wear thermoplastic lids and i replace them every 5 years or sooner.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 23:19 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: Shark or Shoei ? Reply with quote

Perhaps I was unclear. I'm specifically interested in this issue:

Matt B wrote:
Thermoplastics suffer more from UV degradation so the lifespan drops to 3 years.

Helmet manufacturers have a vested interest in encouraging replacement, and in market segmentation to give reasons to buy their more expensive helmets.

Snell do indeed recommend 5 years, but I can't find one word about 3 years for pure thermoplastic shells. Nor can I find anything at SHARP, nor the US Department of Transportation, nor in the Shoei, Arai or Shark FAQs. Where should I be looking?

By the way, when you buy a GRP lid, do you check what sort of P it is? Are you sure it's not the same thermoplastic as in a non glass-fibre lid? Why?

Matt B wrote:
You should of been told this on your CBT also as it is what the DSA teach us at Cardington to pass on to the trainees.

I've been told a lot of stuff by a lot of people over the years. Much of it has turned out to be apocryphal.

I did replace my helmet after 3 years, but I'm not entirely sure why.

alexinlondon
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 23:22 - 05 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, for what it's worth I tried on several helmets at Infinity in London and found the Caberg Ego to be a good fit for me.. £114, has the good safety rating, the sun visor, pinlock etc. And comes in a nice Matt Black finish..

https://www.infinitymotorcycles.com/product/caberg-ego-helmet-matt-black/2640

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:58 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fit.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:38 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Re: Shark or Shoei ? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Helmet manufacturers have a vested interest in encouraging replacement, and in market segmentation to give reasons to buy their more expensive helmets.

True, but as manufacturers of safety equipment they also have a duty to inform customers of the lifespan of the product so we know that the item is as safe as possible. If manufacturers failed to state or overstated the lifespan then I'm sure any fatal injuries sustained wearing an old helmet could result in litigation.

Rogerborg wrote:
Where should I be looking?

In the FAQs on the manufacturers websites, or email them and ask if you really want to know what they say. TBH you can take the advice or not, end of the day it is not my brain in danger.

https://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aWhyReplace
https://www.araiamericas.com/support.asp?page=support/warranty.asp
https://www.agv.com/us/faqs

Snell have been testing helmets for over 50 years, if they say 5 years lifespan then I'm happy to go along with that. SHARP have no real interest in lifespans, they test impacts and that's all, however even they quote 3-5 years.

https://sharp.direct.gov.uk/content/helmet-care

Rogerborg wrote:
By the way, when you buy a GRP lid, do you check what sort of P it is? Are you sure it's not the same thermoplastic as in a non glass-fibre lid? Why?

I don't buy plastic lids so I can't answer that. I use AGV, and my current road one (due to be replaced soon) is an S-4. It's shell is Fibreglass and Kevlar ACF2 (Advanced Composite Fibre ) and was built with varying shell sizes. They are smaller and lighter than plastic therefore more comfortable and less strain on the neck.

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:06 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have a Shark S900 Enigma (black and white)
Brilliant helmet from the crappy duchini I used to have, pros and cons:

Brilliant anti fogging - Never had it mist up once on a cold day EXCEPT for in the freezing fog, where it started to form ice, but that's unavoidable really
Also the integral sun visor isnt anti fogging at all, have it down and exhale and it will fog right up BUT
Its so well ventilated that it takes any fogging away instantly
BUT
It's so well ventilated that the wind noise is really bad! At 50-60 on a windy day I can't hear myself on the red line. Also cold as fuck because it sweeps wind all in the helmet and around it so I find without a scarf or something your face gets freezing, i've tried playing with the vents on the forehead and mouth, closed, opened, closed while riding, make no difference however they are done, still freezing wind pouring in.

Very comfortable though.
Sun visor is brilliantly useful, although when the suns low and bright it doesnt completely take the edge of, although it's much better than just having a normal visor definitely. I often have the visor up and the sun visor down and ride around like that Cool

Great quick release strap, had it a few months now not worn down or anything and very easy to get on and off even with gloves on, couldnt stand the double D straps.

Didn't know about pumping up cheekpads, lol wut? Maybe not on the enigma version?

Also thought I had a big head, last helmet was medium, had to get a small size for the shark to fit Confused
So be wary if you're buying online Thumbs Up

https://www.bigbikebook.com/csi/1824063488/i/pzi/s900_c_prime_enigma_black_white_1.jpg
That one's mine. I got a black and white monochrome thing going on suddenly, matches my gloves and jacket Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:54 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

With respect, Matt, your helmet is glass-and-kevlar-fibre re-enforced plastic. I'm not sure why you'd be confident that the plastic matrix isn't subject to UV degradation.

None of those links make any distinction between thermoplastic shells and any other sort, and I'm as yet unable to find any that do.

Fair enough though, there is a fair amount of documentation of UV degradation of some unstabilised thermoplastics outwith the context of motorcycle helmets, and there's doesn't appear to be anything in any helmet testing regime that tests for it.

To be clear, I'm not arguing against the sense of replacing every 3 years, but it's more because of a lack of information, and that bugs me.

Spy
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 12:56 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Hi

I have a Shark S900 Enigma (black and white)
Brilliant helmet from the crappy duchini I used to have, pros and cons:

Brilliant anti fogging - Never had it mist up once on a cold day EXCEPT for in the freezing fog, where it started to form ice, but that's unavoidable really
Also the integral sun visor isnt anti fogging at all, have it down and exhale and it will fog right up BUT
Its so well ventilated that it takes any fogging away instantly
BUT
It's so well ventilated that the wind noise is really bad! At 50-60 on a windy day I can't hear myself on the red line. Also cold as fuck because it sweeps wind all in the helmet and around it so I find without a scarf or something your face gets freezing, i've tried playing with the vents on the forehead and mouth, closed, opened, closed while riding, make no difference however they are done, still freezing wind pouring in.

Very comfortable though.
Sun visor is brilliantly useful, although when the suns low and bright it doesnt completely take the edge of, although it's much better than just having a normal visor definitely. I often have the visor up and the sun visor down and ride around like that Cool

Great quick release strap, had it a few months now not worn down or anything and very easy to get on and off even with gloves on, couldnt stand the double D straps.

Didn't know about pumping up cheekpads, lol wut? Maybe not on the enigma version?

Also thought I had a big head, last helmet was medium, had to get a small size for the shark to fit Confused
So be wary if you're buying online Thumbs Up

https://www.bigbikebook.com/csi/1824063488/i/pzi/s900_c_prime_enigma_black_white_1.jpg
That one's mine. I got a black and white monochrome thing going on suddenly, matches my gloves and jacket Wink

Thanks for taking the time to provide your view on the S900. That was really helpful.

As regards the cheek pump, I think that is only in the newer 2012 version, the S900C.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 13:07 - 06 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Qwest it is a great lid, so quiet and very well built. I'd happily replace it with another.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 07 Nov 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
With respect, Matt, your helmet is glass-and-kevlar-fibre re-enforced plastic. I'm not sure why you'd be confident that the plastic matrix isn't subject to UV degradation.

The epoxy resin used in the GRP probably would be, but not at the same rate as a shell made from 100% thermoplastics.

But you are right - there does not seem to be any hard evidence between the lifespan of plastic and composites. Maybe it's developed into one of those urban biker myths?

That's not part of my reason for choosing a composite though. Thermoplastic shells are generally 4-5 mm thick while composite shells are 2-3 mm thick. Combined with a range of shell sizes you normally get with more expensive composites they just come out smaller and lighter.

If you don't mind a bulky lid then why choose a Schuberth composite with a SHARP 2 star over a Lazer plastic with 5 stars?

If you want to look at different testing standards compared there is some info here:

https://www.msf-usa.org/imsc/proceedings/a-thom-comparisontestsofmotorcyclehelmets.pdf
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 199 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1