Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

First Bike - FZ6 - now crashed - broken finger.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

FZ6_mk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:43 - 13 Dec 2012    Post subject: First Bike - FZ6 - now crashed - broken finger. Reply with quote

Hi all,

I passed my test at the end of summer, and on 3 Dec, I purchased my first bike from Honda Grafton in Milton Keynes. Excellent customer service, and I highly recommend them.

The bike is a 2008 '58 Yamaha FZ6 S2, with just over 10k on the clock. Completely standard, and full service history. I believe I got a good deal on it, maybe you guys can be the judge?

Was up for £3,200, negotiated to £2,600 with a service which means its actually had two extra services than what is required to date. One previous owner and spotless condition wise.

Day I picked it up:

https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/X20HER/Yamaha%20FZ6%20S2/Fazer3Dec12.jpg

Few more pictures:

https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/X20HER/Yamaha%20FZ6%20S2/IMG_2279.jpg

https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/X20HER/Yamaha%20FZ6%20S2/IMG_2286.jpg

https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/X20HER/Yamaha%20FZ6%20S2/IMG_2289.jpg

Absolutely great bike and I feel its really easy to ride as a first bike. Nice and light. I nearly went for a Suzuki GSX 650F - really glad I didnt.

Was finding my fingertips getting extremely cold in this weather, so received these as a Birthday present today. Fitted in 10 minutes, my new Tucano Urbano R361:

https://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d144/X20HER/Yamaha%20FZ6%20S2/IMG_2311.jpg

Just went out for a ride, it is about -1 - 0c, and what a difference. Well worth the £40 from eBay, and I highly recommend them. I was only going to go around the block, so put on some thin'ish summer gloves (as oppose to thicker winter gloves I normally use) and they were so warm, I ended up being out for an hour and warm hands when I got back home. Very impressed.

Need another mod now, what next?

Let me know what you guys think.

Zo.

Last edited by FZ6_mk on 14:02 - 03 Jul 2013; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 14 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't buy that bike, you stole it from them! Great price for a bike that new with low miles from a dealer.

Great bikes, good choice.... I love mine.

What sort of mods are you after? Personally I'd go for a Leo Vince SBK system with a PCIII USB. They do make a rather nice noise with the above on!

Tail Tidy is a must as well.

Oh also get some R&G bungs. Will save the engine if you have a drop. Saved mine big time when I threw it down the track at Oulton Park!

I know its new and everything, but be careful the roads are horrible atm. Wouldn't want to see a 'I dropped my bike on ice' thread in the next few weeks.

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:11 - 14 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent choice. Some end cans and a tail tidy next, so it looks like this:

https://i1077.photobucket.com/albums/w462/MattB70/IMG_2149a.jpg

If you fancy a Fazer rideout when the weather warms up I'm just up the road from you.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 14 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks lovely Thumbs Up

Loving the tail tidy on that one there ^^ too Mr. Green

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:44 - 14 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those cans are quite sexy. I've got the old style scorpions on mine which make quite a nice noise.

Leo Vince is the way forward though, they're seriously loud and sound sick!

Bikes: 2007 Derbi GPR 50, 1998 Yamaha Fazer 600 (written off), 2002 Yamaha Fazer 600, 1994 CBR 600F, 2003 Triumph Daytona 600, Kawasaki ZX6R J1.....Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6, 1998 Suzuki TL1000R and a Honda VFR 400 NC30.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 14 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bargain Thumbs Up

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh that looks nice! Nice discount too - Did you px your old bike?

andy

JP7
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bike for a decent price, you've got a pretty good deal there! I've got the FZ6N, the unfaired version.

Enjoy! Thumbs Up

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:57 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

bargain bike there! mod's I'd look at are a tail tidy, crash bungs, new cans and maybe a new screen. If you're also looking at some luggage for it there are some bargains to be had during winter Thumbs Up

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:57 - 15 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am still undecided as to what my first bike should be. I'm definitely getting persuaded by the pictures to get a fazer!

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:29 - 16 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

0l0dom0l0 wrote:
Leo Vince is the way forward though, they're seriously loud and sound sick!

Expensive though compared to the Scorpions.

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 16 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt B wrote:
Expensive though compared to the Scorpions.

They are, but worth it.

Don't forget they contain a de-cat pipe too so that's £70 quid you'd have to pay out on the Scorpions like for like.

The sound is Thumbs Up

ian505050
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:10 - 16 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks really good, definitely a bargain for a dealer sold bike, would have expected it to go for £2500 private without warranty ect....

Where are the photos taken? I want to get some snaps of my new bike(when its been rebuilt) parked in front of that red bull wall

https://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii302/ian505050/ian505050%202/IMAG2208.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

FZ6_mk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:12 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the comments and confirming I got a good deal! I did wait for this time of the year to buy for that reason, glad it worked. It has a 3 month warranty as well.

I definitely need to get a tail tidy, though I am looking for something with smaller indicators than the one pictured above. I will keep searching ebay.

I also quite like the smoked LED tail light I have seen on ebay, any one got one? I dont quite like the standard lens.

The pictures were taken outside the Red Bull Raching head offices in Milton Keynes, MK7 8BJ. They are not far from where I live. Your bike would look great there!

Re the comment on the first bike - I am really glad I settled with the Fazer. I used to have an off-road motocross bike, but only a 125. As this is my first big bike, I am definitely still finding my feet and trying to build my confidence. I haven't had any close shaves yet, which I think is partly down to the bike being so easy to ride, and feeling so light. I feel really balanced on the bike, which is why I chose it. It makes you feel that much more confident. And I am not a big guy. Insurance is only £360 as well, im 24 with a new licence.

Also I am probably in the novice category when it comes to maintenance, so wanted something cheap but relatively new and low mileage, so I gave up on having something looking much sportier. Really happy with my purchase. Though I actually prefer the look of the FZ6n.

Not riding much unless the roads are dry.. but I am up for a Fazer ride out, should be good. Just have to wait for the weather to improve.

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the roads are crap at the moment, greasy and I've come across lots of mud on the roads too. Took the bike out today and I'm shitting myself about leaning into the corners in case it drops on me.

.Bishbash.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome price, great looking bike. And if you want to do cans, get SP Engineering ones, THEY are sick cans Wink

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 18 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZ6_mk wrote:
I definitely need to get a tail tidy, though I am looking for something with smaller indicators than the one pictured above. I will keep searching ebay.

Be careful of quality, some of the cheap ones are poorly finished and a poor fit.

That one is from Evotech and it's just a matter of fitting mini indicators to it if you want them. It is good quality, and it fits nicely.

https://www.evotech-performance.com/yamaha-fz6-2004-2012-tail-tidy-fender-eliminator

Be careful with mini indicators - check the wattage of the bulbs they are supplied with are the same as you have in the bike or they will not work.

0l0dom0l0
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:32 - 19 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bishbash II wrote:
Awesome price, great looking bike. And if you want to do cans, get SP Engineering ones, THEY are sick cans Wink

I quote:

Me ' Why have you got the baffles in?'

You: 'To loud mate'

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:54 - 19 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at lots of pictures but still don't know what a 'tail tidy' is or what it does. Is it just a smaller number plate holder?

Matt B
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 19 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:
I've looked at lots of pictures but still don't know what a 'tail tidy' is or what it does. Is it just a smaller number plate holder?

Does away with the big ugly plastic mudguard most bikes have fitted. Makes everything smaller and neater whilst still giving you a mount for the number plate/indicators and a working number plate light if needed.

It Tidies up the Tail of the bike...

ScaredyCat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 19 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tungtvann wrote:

Tail tidy Turns this:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/188253/tail-untidy.jpg

into this:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/188253/tail-tidy.jpg

Andy

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:02 - 19 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I haven't got a cup of tea on mine though.

FZ6_mk
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've still kept the bike upright..however I have a couple questions re riding technique that I'm putting out there.

1. I was out on Christmas day, and it was a bit wet/greasy, so I was taking it very easy on the bends/roundabouts and not leaning too much. However on a straight I hung on to second gear for a while and accelerated fairly hard, maybe 60-70% throttle. I changed up to third at maybe 6-8k, and as I did, I lost the back wheel a bit and it snaked around.

Quite a scary moment, but I wish I got to see it from behind, think it would have looked pretty cool.

So I've been consciously trying to match the revs when I change gear. Is there anything else I should do?

I guess a slipper clutch would stop this?

2. When accelerating hard, I feel like I lose the ability to steer. What I mean is: on a dual carriage way, I pull out to overtake, accelerate quite hard, then to pull back into lane 1, I dont feel comfortable and its quite scary. Probably due to the weight shifting to the rear?

I am not a heavy person. What should I do, lean forward?

So couple 'L Plate Warrior' questions, which I hope some more experienced riders can help with.

Any tips are much appreciated. Thumbs Up

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 21:56 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure why your back wheel snaked out a bit when changing gear, maybe you hit a wet/slippery patch of road?

When accelerating hard the steering will become lighter, depending on how hard you accelerate of course. I have however not noticed this to be too much of a problem unless really going for it. As you say try shifting your weight forward a bit and see how it feels, do you sit particularly upright?

moppy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 03 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

At higher speeds, more effort is needed on the handlebar to steer the bike. Dunno why, but heard it on Twist of the Wrist.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 114 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3