Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

zzr600 stiff shifting issues

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:26 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: zzr600 stiff shifting issues Reply with quote

Hi guys, basically when I'm in neutral and I click into first gear, the bike clunks really loudly and jolts. Also when shifting to other gears even when using the clutch it doesn't just 'pop' into gear, I feel it click once, then it clicks/grinds before it settles into gear (imagine just like shifting with no clutch and letting off a bit of throttle)

Sometimes blipping the throttle helps but not always.

I thought maybe worn clutch, but theres no clutch slippage? Very odd problem to have can anyone shed some light?

Oh worth mentioning the cable is adjusted correctly. Any more outward adjustment and it may just cause slippage. Cheers.

Clutchy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:22 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had something similar, so I adjusted the clutch cable and made it so it 'pulled the clutch in more' sorry don't know how else to word it and that fixed it for me, have a play/look at that first id say.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 01:31 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

ZZR600 always has a reputation for a clunky gear change (and the normal thing to blame when that gets worse is worn cush drive rubbers), but not sure that what you are describing sound like clunks. the grinding sounds more like it isn't going into gear immediatly.

Might be worth lubing the gear change linkage and adjusting the lever down a touch (to get you to move the lever more).

All the best

Keith

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:54 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your chain is adjusted properly also as this many seem to have experienced these problems more frequently when the chain is needing adjusted (including myself). Thumbs Up

I'd also second keith's recomendation to removed the footpeg and lube the shifter.

Stonefly
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:08 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is exactly the same. Its worse when its cold, but it still lurches a bit even when hot. I have found that the gear change gets very clunky through the gears if the chain is not kept properly tensioned at all times. It will help to do as the others have said, and get everything cleaned (i use paraffin) in the drive train, then give everything a good lube with fresh grease and/or oil. I really wouldnt be worrying about it to be honest. it seems to be one of the 'features' of the ZZR's. Best to just try and live with it.

Just for the record, a friend bought a brand new one in 1996 and gave me a go on it with just 800 miles on the clock.......it lurched when it went into first from neutral!!!
Previous....Yamaha FS1E, Honda SS50, Suzuki AP50, BSA Bantam D14, Honda CD175, Honda CB250N, Kawasaki Z250A3, Yamaha RD250E, Kawasaki Z400, Kawasaki Z500, Kawasaki GPz550, Honda NTV600, Kawasaki GT750, Kawasaki Z1000R, Kawasaki GPX250
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:40 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I have indeed sourced the problem (sorta) Adjusting the clutch cable so it pulls on the lever (even when not in use) Rolling Eyes sorts it. The bite point is quite far out though and theres no play in the lever once you let go. The cable is taught all the time at the moment.

Changes gear beautifully now though... And no slippage. Just my fucking bite point is out a fair bit. Possible clutch plates need changing?

Like I said though, no slippage thus far...

Clutchy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:49 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:24 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterious_rider wrote:
Okay I have indeed sourced the problem (sorta) Adjusting the clutch cable so it pulls on the lever (even when not in use) Rolling Eyes sorts it. The bite point is quite far out though and theres no play in the lever once you let go. The cable is taught all the time at the moment.

Be careful doing that. Turning the bars will likely slip the clutch a touch which could make pulling off at T junctions tricky.

Further you will have a constant load on the clutch. Possibly wearing it a touch, but with a constant load on the thrust bearing.

All the best

Keith

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 30 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
mysterious_rider wrote:

Be careful doing that. Turning the bars will likely slip the clutch a touch which could make pulling off at T junctions tricky.

Further you will have a constant load on the clutch. Possibly wearing it a touch, but with a constant load on the thrust bearing.

All the best

Keith

Going to see if slackening/tightening actually pulls the clutch arm itself at all. It's very annoying, but the thrust bearing will be getting changed along with the plates when the time comes anyway. It's done 45k miles, so another 10k ontop of my mates honda hornet! (they're supposed to be bullet proof and his has had the clutch changed!!!)

And it still running great. Twisted Evil Good ol kwacks.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there's a fair bit of play actually! Going to shim the gear lever up with another washer and tighten the rod properly (and angle it down a bit more)

I notice if i MANSHIFT harder it completely cures my problem! Cheers.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ZRX1100 has a hydraulic clutch and bangs/jolts into 1st gear most of the time. The infamous Kawasaki agricultural gearbox is how I think of it rather than it being a problem.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:37 - 31 Dec 2012    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterious_rider wrote:
It's done 45k miles, so another 10k ontop of my mates honda hornet!

Childs play Twisted Evil

This thread has reminded me I must do my clutch, it was pointed out it needs adjusting yesterday and my bad memory made me forget it.

ricklincs45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:07 - 01 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar issue of clunking into first gear from neutral on a brand-new 900R back in '87.

Found that clicking her into gear with the engine off, then pulling the (hydraulic) clutch in and rocking her back and forth until the 'drag' freed off virtually completely cured the 'problem'. Ignition on, fire her up and she popped into first almost silently and with no clunking.

Had similar issues with a GSX1100EF and a GSXR1100J, the same procedure produced smooth changes on those too. Seems the bigger the engine, the more clunky initial shifts seem to be. Probably down to cold oil.

Rick

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 01 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

my ZZR was exactly the same, it had been stood a good while tho and I put it down to dry clutch plates. after about 3 weeks of putting up with it I bought a set of plates and fitted them and now its all adjusted up with the proper amount of free play it just clicks into gear lovely rather than really clunking in.
my plates were pretty much worn out at 32K so it would be worth a look at them.
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 01 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimspeed wrote:
my ZZR was exactly the same, it had been stood a good while tho and I put it down to dry clutch plates. after about 3 weeks of putting up with it I bought a set of plates and fitted them and now its all adjusted up with the proper amount of free play it just clicks into gear lovely rather than really clunking in.
my plates were pretty much worn out at 32K so it would be worth a look at them.

Did the clutch slip at all?

I've adjusted the gear lever rod, and I need to add a washer in there tomorrow. After that I'll slack the clutch cable off and see what happens.

Cheers.

jimspeed
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:19 - 01 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

it slipped a bit when it came on cam in 3rd and 4th, also it seemed to take the slack out of the cable when it came on cam somehow, at low rpms there would be the usual bit of freeplay but if you left your fingers resting on the lever you could feel it pull the slack out of it when it started to properly go (7K plus).
after fitting new plates it is fine, I left them soaking all afternoon at work in oil then banged them in. think they were the cheapest ones I could find EBC maybe? ill take a look thru my ebay feedback lol.
Hyosung cruise 125(passed test on, sold) Kawasaki el 252 (better than expected but sold on) Kawasaki GPZ500S first "big"bike.(sold) ZZR600 E5..Z750 2007,ER5, currently on a 2008 Enfield bullet electra x and loving it..
,"Alpha-9: Is there any correlation between dyno rod and dyno kits?"

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:29 - 01 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBC are supposed to be very good. It's KYOTO you gotta avoid! Never again! they used to get hot, and expand/contract and fook up the adjustment at the lever. Laughing

Mine doesn't do any of that you see. Maybe it was just the freeplay in the lever after all. I shall check it soon. cheers.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1