Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Well, I nearly fixed it.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 06 Jan 2013    Post subject: Well, I nearly fixed it. Reply with quote

Anyone who has been in the workshop lately probably knows that I've been working on, and having loads of trouble, fixing my bike for before tomorrow.

It's all back together now. It starts, it rides, it sounds an awful lot healthier.

It's also pissing fuel out of the airbox. Took the carbs apart, all looked good, put them back together, reassembled the bike, started it and rode about 10 miles in total with no fuel leak. Stopped for about 40 minutes to an hour, went to start the bike again and fuel started pissing out of the airbox again. Of course, now I'm out and have no tools to even turn the fuel off.

Breakdown/roadside assistance has been called but I suspect they'll just recover me back to Birmingham rather than fixing it.

Is there anyone around the Birmingham area that would be able to help me sort a carb problem if needed?

I don't even get why it's doing it. This happened before after my accident and my bike was stood for a few weeks. I got them cleaned and it had been golden since. It has been stood for a few weeks again and is leaking again. Will see what breakdown cover guy says, but if someone in Birmingham could give me a hand if needed, that'd be brilliant.

krarkol
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:19 - 06 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be that fuels getting into the carbs and then flooding them until it comes out the airbox? Confused

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:26 - 06 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything else is in better order than it was , I would guess ; floats & float heights?
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 06 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have tapped but didn't work.

Left and right float heights are set the same and only left carb is flooding, right is fine. Carbs haven't been messed with since it was working perfectly for the last 6k ish miles. So I'm doubting it's that. More likely dirt I feel but carbs are alien to me.
Vincent This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:00 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: Well, I nearly fixed it. Reply with quote

Back in Birmingham now. Great recovery guy, a biker too. Talked bikes the whole way home Very Happy

Vincent wrote:
If the above doesn't help and you need someone to take a second look, I'm here until next weekend.

Cheers buddy. I'll did try that but with no success. I think they just need stripping and cleaning again or something.

Will try and get the carbs back out any day that I have some daylight left after University and take a gander inside, but my problem is that I really don't have a clue what I'm doing in there. YouTube helps a bit, but is nothing compared to someone that's done it before and has knowledge of the part. Will let you know! Thumbs Up

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:32 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

After cycling to Uni today I realised that I'm seriously unfit and really didn't want to have to do that again tomorrow.

So I got home. Found my old phone which had an LED flash which lets you use it as a torch and got to work.

Stripped down the bike, stripped the carbs, cleaned them all up to the best of my knowledge, reassembled the bike and then went for the moment of truth. It started lovely Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV2ThtiDCL8

Fingers crossed it also starts tomorrow morning without the carbs pissing petrol everywhere. Carrying a 12 socket and a long screwdriver with me everywhere I go for the next few weeks just in case it pisses fuel out again, so I can turn it back off. Thumbs Up so far though!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:35 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dance! Wasted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

anthony_r6
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:48 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck Thumbs Up

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't. Carbs were damn near spotless on the inside though. The only slight issue that I found was a very small ridge on both of the sliders. Gently scraped it and it's virtually flush now (microscopically out) and that seems to have sorted it I think.

Removed all the jets and checked them, all perfect. Blew through them just to make sure. Took the plunger out of the floats too which was spotless too. Only slight issue down that end of the carbs was the pin for the left floats had a tiny spec of dirt in, despite still moving freely, so I took that all apart and cleaned it too.

Hopefully this will run nicely until I'm back hope again for easter, then I can try cleaning the tank out too Smile

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:47 - 07 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did wonder about doing that, just as a precautionary measure. However I know nowhere.elysium had a lot of troubles with his restoration project because of the inline filter. So I was reluctant to try and fit one without figuring out whether it would be compatible with my bike or not.

You've just reminded me to research it, thanks!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 83 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1