Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Glowing Hot Exhaust

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

_matt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:33 - 21 Jan 2013    Post subject: Glowing Hot Exhaust Reply with quote

Warmed the bike up (5 mins on choke) for the first time in a few days tonight.
Went back out to switch it off after, pipe that leads from engine to exhaust was glowing red hot (tempreature is -2 outside!).

Bike may have been doing this forever, it might just be today, can't say i've ever noticed it before.

Should it be glowing hot? I presume not since i've not noticed it before....

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 21 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it's running rather hot to me. I wouldn't like to risk running it like that until I could be sure what it was. I am not an expert by any means though, hopefully someone else will know more.

As a starting point though, have you checked your oil recently? Other thoughts are lean running (although probably not) or more likely considering the temperature, a tight exhaust valve.

_matt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 22:42 - 21 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers mate.
Oil was topped up last week with 10w40 semi synthetic (same stuff i usually use).

It's not glowing super bright, just sort of dull orange, but as i said, not something ive noticed before so little concerned

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:58 - 21 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you topped up/changed the oil did you double check it after a little ride? Sometimes it needs topping back up.

_matt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:09 - 21 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunatly, can't really "check" it due to stupid design of tank and the cap literally just being a cap and not a dipstick, just have to drain it out and start over.

Fed it nearly a whole liter so, unless it's all escaped somewhere (no oil on drive etc) then it "should" be fine.

I'm sensing a theme here, is "Oh no my exhaust is glowing" generally linked to "I have no oil" ?

Supermoto_Fan
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 21 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, just read JMs suggestion and then when you mentioned you have recently dealt with the oil I put two and two together, maybe I got 5, who knows

J.M.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:16 - 21 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

_matt wrote:
I'm sensing a theme here, is "Oh no my exhaust is glowing" generally linked to "I have no oil" ?

Not necessarily, but the oil does help with the engine temperature.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 23:21 - 21 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which bike is it and have you balanced the carbs (assuming it has 2+) recently?

_matt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:25 - 21 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a 1990 xv 535 Virago.
Yes, it has 2 carbs, and no, i've not balanced them in the year i've had it (although it's been serviced twice in that time by a garage, so they may have done that)
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 21 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry about it, normally you'd ride off in a minute or less and the air would cool it - that's the only reason you've seen the glow (plus it's dark)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

_matt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:35 - 21 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:

If you leave the choke on full wankers, with the engine sitting there & no airflow to cool the pipe all the unburnt fuel burning up in the exhaust will overheat the pipe, exhaust valves etc etc & fuck shit up. Not good.

10 mins on full choke is most likely the cause of that then!
Don't often use the choke cos doesn't need it.

Looks like I did this to myself, then worried about it lol.

cheers folks!

Dave-the-rave
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:40 - 21 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you ''went back out to switch it off after 5 minutes'''
If you left it running unattended for 5 minutes with the choke
on I'm guessing it was revving pretty high when you got back
to it? Air cooled engine idling stationary at high revs for 5 minutes
isn't gonna cool so will overheat.

Bad fuel mix can cause it though. I'm wondering if excessive use
of the choke has left unburnt fuel in the pipe. If it then burns in
the pipe it would over heat the pipe. Plugs should be sooty as hell
after using the choke like that but I'd check to see if that plug's wet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave-the-rave
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 23:43 - 21 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
Full choke is enough to make pretty much any bike i've ever seen cut out. You set the choke as low as possible without the bike cutting out...

However i've seen people whack the choke all the way on, and rev it to force it to idle whilst the bike is actually trying to flood itself & cut out. I.e choke off = 800 revs, choke half on = 2500 revs, choke 100% on = a realy realy realy rough 900 rev idle.

If you leave the choke on full wankers, with the engine sitting there & no airflow to cool the pipe all the unburnt fuel burning up in the exhaust will overheat the pipe, exhaust valves etc etc & fuck shit up. Not good.

Oil starvation will make an engine run hot, but it'll totally eat the bearings & rings & seize before it makes the headers glow. Glowing headers are down to shit burning in the exhaust port/pipe & heating it up - or riding very very hard (see youtube for vids of boosted engines & f1 engines manifolds after a dyno pull)

I'm betting excessive use of choke & leaving an air cooled engine standing still are going to be the cause Thumbs Up

Sorry I didn't see your post. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 00:05 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

_matt wrote:
its a 1990 xv 535 Virago.
Yes, it has 2 carbs, and no, i've not balanced them in the year i've had it (although it's been serviced twice in that time by a garage, so they may have done that)

Check the rubber caps that go over the balance points on the carbs are still in place. Only time I hasve seen this is when they had fallen off.

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:55 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

also check auto ign advance...........you dont say if both header pipes where glowing......
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1