Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

isle of man tt

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

PascalChamele...
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 11:47 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: isle of man tt Reply with quote

hi, quick question
i'm considering going to the isle of man tt this year, on my bike, and am wondering how much it will cost roughly to get a bike on the ferry and back during the tt?
ive looked on the website and they don't seem to want to give you a price unless you ring up.
im also planning on camping there, does anyone know how much it costs to pitch a small tent. i want to stay roughly 10 days. i know it's going to get expensive, not overly bothered by that but would like a rough idea.
is anyone planning on going this year?
thanks
liz

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck trying to get a ferry crossing this late, they sell out FAST!!

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 11:53 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferry's about £250 return, if you can get one. Booked mine back in June and ended up on a crap time cos its all that was left. I guess there'll be cancellations though, I think the balance was due by end of Jan so I'd start looking then for slots going back on sale.

Campsite's £6 a night or something.

AL-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try your luck as a standby, basically means turning up at the port and waiting around for a cancellation. Failing that you may have better luck going as a foot passenger

jjdugen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:07 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TT's good, if you get the weather. If you can't get on a ferry, you might consider the Manx GP, late August / early September. (Usually better weather....) Nowhere near as crowded, attracts an 'older' bunch usually on classic stuff. Prices are a bit more reasonable AND there isn't the police presence that you get at the TT.
Would be going again this year, but the Nurburgring bekons.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

truslack
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:22 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

£200 for a ferry return, cancellations will be coming up soon I think (those that put deposit on tickets in June but don't pay the balance). Other than that, standby works quite well if you're prepared to wait, or look on the TT forums for people selling them.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:00 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or go a bit earlier if you can. Not sure how much earlier that would need to be, mind you. 6 months? Laughing

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

MarkJ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-booked tickets have to have the balance paid in full by 28th February, have the website open on 1st March when all the unpaid tickets go back on.

dodgydog
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:53 - 22 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Pre-booked tickets have to have the balance paid in full by 28th February, have the website open on 1st March when all the unpaid tickets go back on.

This.

It's the only way (apart from turning up at the docks in hope) that you'll get over there.

Call them on the 1st March but the lines will be very busy and it'll likely take you all day.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:20 - 23 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been said, you're going to find it tricky to get a ferry ticket this late in the day but, not impossible. If you do manage to get one, it'll only be after a lot of hassle.

Your other option apart from camping is trying to get somewhere on the homestay list
https://www.iomtt.com/TT-2013/TT-Homestay-2013.aspx

If you do get here and end up camping, bring some wellies and waterproof clothing, as odds are it'll piss down and you'll be up to your knees in mud.

You could try the Grand Prix as previously stated as it gets a lot less busy. Or you could start making plans for next years TT.

Either way, you'll love it and have a great time.

Good luck with your plans Thumbs Up

Ja7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 08:56 - 24 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on ebay, but I'm sure you will pay over the odds for them
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bunglebubs
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:12 - 24 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

One bike and rider will be about £200/250 and as already stated camping is around £7 per night. Just paid my deposit a couple of weeks ago for the bookings I made back in September so good luck in getting a ticket.

I can recommend a good camp site if you want

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 24 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could take four weeks off work, go a bit earlier than the maddies and stay a bit longer. Probably get on a boat coming back as there a loads of loonies don't have any bike left to come back with after Mad Sunday. Smile

TT_Man
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:35 - 24 Jan 2013    Post subject: Re: isle of man tt Reply with quote

PascalChameleonandBike wrote:
hi, quick question
i'm considering going to the isle of man tt this year, on my bike, and am wondering how much it will cost roughly to get a bike on the ferry and back during the tt?
ive looked on the website and they don't seem to want to give you a price unless you ring up.
im also planning on camping there, does anyone know how much it costs to pitch a small tent. i want to stay roughly 10 days. i know it's going to get expensive, not overly bothered by that but would like a rough idea.
is anyone planning on going this year?
thanks
liz

Got to get on the steampacket website 1st march and try and pick up a ticket. Failing that go stanby theres always loads of no shows!
Youve got to experience the TT there is nothing like it in the world! If the Sun shines its brilliant.
The MGP is alot quieter and civilised- defo go for the TT, been there myself approx 20 times. Laughing
Cheers
TT

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:56 - 24 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

£250? We could almost buy our own ship for that!

Philly46
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:09 - 24 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ours was booked last year for the 2 weeks. Canny wait. Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 95 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1