Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CG Batteries and ignition things

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Mikey7094
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:42 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: CG Batteries and ignition things Reply with quote

Hi

My bike needs a new battery thanks to lack of use. It's a 6V CG125, with a lead acid battery. I've only every dealt with sealed car batteries, so I don't really understand how the wet lead acid batteries work. Can I just put new acid in it, or do I need to replace the whole battery?

I'm also quite confused that Wemoto have two types of battery for my CG, one a brandless pattern one for £13, and the other a Yuasa one for £10. Why is the branded one cheaper?! Are the Yuasa ones any good? Are they sealed instead of wet?

Next question, and this is probably a long shot - has anyone recently bought an ignition coil for a 6V CG who can vouch for its quality?

I ask because I bought one from David Silver that didn't work - bike kept cutting out and was down on power. They refunded me, but now I need another ignition coil and don't want another duff one. The one currently on my bike doesn't actually fit - looks like it might be from a C90 or something.

Any help appreciated - I'm not that smart when it comes to electrics.

Cheers

Mikey

DMCpro
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 17:16 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there top up the battery cells with dionised water (rain water) charge and retest if still working properly it's gone. Replace it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mikey7094
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 17:40 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is completely gone - the bike runs of course, but the battery only charges enough for maybe two indicator flashes! (NB no problem with charging system, before anyone asks.) I just wondered if replacing the acid was enough.

ricklincs45
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:45 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikey,

did you ask Silver's to send a replacement coil? Might have been one duff one in a batch - maybe worth a try?

Re. battery: no idea why a Yuasa would be cheaper; maybe a bulk buy they can discount heavily? Given the choice, I'd take the Yuasa every time (seem to think they were standard fitment on early CG's). As for your current battery, once they start playing up, it's often the plates inside that are banjaxed. Topping up with fresh acid won't help as the plates tend to have shorted-out internally.

Hope you get her sorted,

Rick

DMCpro
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:17 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just top up the cells with dionised water it's available in supermarkets and auto stores
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jimbob005
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 19:41 - 26 Jan 2013    Post subject: cg Reply with quote

top up with dionised water then charge the battery when charged check the levels and top up if needed if not test the battery with a multimeater and it should be around 6.5 volts every 30mins it may drop to 6.3 volts but should stay around there just keep testing with the multimeater every hour around 3 times if it keeps droping blow 6 volts it gone and you need to get a new one .

also test the rectifier if this has gone this could of damaged your battery and can damage your new one

as for your ignition coil i have one from ebay and its been ok up to now

hope this helps james

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:05 - 27 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricklincs45 wrote:
Mikey,

did you ask Silver's to send a replacement coil? Might have been one duff one in a batch - maybe worth a try?

Re. battery: no idea why a Yuasa would be cheaper; maybe a bulk buy they can discount heavily? Given the choice, I'd take the Yuasa every time (seem to think they were standard fitment on early CG's). As for your current battery, once they start playing up, it's often the plates inside that are banjaxed. Topping up with fresh acid won't help as the plates tend to have shorted-out internally.

Hope you get her sorted,

Rick

The battery may well be banjaxed (archaic technical term for fcuked Smile ) though more likely due to sulfation of the plates from lack of proper maintenance rather than shorting. Though shorting is possible.

Sometimes a battery can be partially recoved after a good hammering on a charger. But usually (as stated elsewhere in this tread) when they start giving bother they're gubbed and best to replace.

I would have no qualms about paying for a new Yuasa battery as it is many times less painful that pushing a dead horse. Smile

Look for about three years Good Healthy Life' out of a new 'after market' battery. And possibly less for an OEM battery as they may have been sitting in stock for months before being fitted to a new machine.

Mikey7094
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 14:59 - 27 Jan 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all - I think £10 for a Yuasa battery is probably worth it, then. And I'll chance an ignition coil from eBay.

(I think my coil was from a duff batch - I notice David Silver don't stock them any more!)

Cheers

Mikey[/quote]
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1