BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Disabled Parking Bay Ticket

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

keggyhander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My heart absolutely bleeds for the genuinely disabled. I'm usually the one who helps them when they're struggling, unlike the fake shallow plebs who talk a good game then walk on by.

I have zero sympathy though for obese women in free cars, and those who get free cars just for having naughty children.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:00 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

keggyhander wrote:
My heart absolutely bleeds for the genuinely disabled. I'm usually the one who helps them when they're struggling, unlike the fake shallow plebs who talk a good game then walk on by.

I have zero sympathy though for obese women in free cars, and those who get free cars just for having naughty children.

I'm in complete agreement with you there.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 16:13 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this will add to the debate or muddy the waters but...

My wife is registered disabled. Result of a degenerative back and hip condition caused by a bike accident. She can walk ok at the moment although gets tired (so probably counts as someone swinging the lead by some other posters). It'll only get worse and I see a wheelchair being used in the future. For the record she doesn't have mobility car.

Anyhow she is applying for a blue badge. For now she has a green card saying that she's registered disabled.

She parked once at White Rose shopping centre near Leeds. Put it in a disabled bay. Came back to a ticket. The disability registration card was on the dashboard visible through the windscreen. I checked the signs, none specifically said blue badge holders only, just disability parking. Even the signs showing the wheelchair were in orange and some in purple (so IMHO not blue badge holder specific, some places do state this on signs).

I made the mistake of contacting the parking company and the shopping centre management. The management just offloaded it onto the parking company saying they must be right.

Had fun and games trying to explain that their signs said disabled parking and in fact a disabled person had parked there. So why were they giving them a fine?. I think they've given up demanding money with menaces now but would have been interesting hearing how they'd explain that one away in front of a judge.

Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:19 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

keggyhander wrote:

I also agree.

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:56 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

keggyhander wrote:
doggone wrote:
Well parking your car in the disabled bay makes you a knob Razz

Give over. That's just Pavlovian conditioning in action. Disabled markings in private car parks are just graffiti on the ground.

I play the world's smallest violin for wallahs who get free cars every three years that they don't have to tax, test or maintain.

Besides which, if they can get disabled benefits then they can go in the fucking daytime.

Wotcha.

Want to swap legs ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

keggyhander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lone-Wolf wrote:

Wotcha.

Want to swap legs ?

I've got it coming mate. My right knee and left hip are creaking.

Read the entire thread though.

Lone-Wolf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

keggyhander wrote:

I've got it coming mate. My right knee and left hip are creaking.

Read the entire thread though.

Wotcha.

You need one of these 'ere hip ops . . . . I'm still running mine in Laughing

I'd still be happier if some blind twat hadn't tried to take the original one off Evil or Very Mad

jackw72
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone explain why that parking ticket is not valid? Cos' its a penalty charge not a fine? Cos' its a private firm.

Does this mean all Supermarket's and disabled spots alike can be shown ignorance?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:39 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackw72 wrote:
Someone explain why that parking ticket is not valid? Cos' its a penalty charge not a fine? Cos' its a private firm.

Does this mean all Supermarket's and disabled spots alike can be shown ignorance?

yep Smile Or at least, aslong as it's not issued by the council as far as I'm aware.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterious_rider wrote:
jackw72 wrote:

yep Smile Or at least, aslong as it's not issued by the council as far as I'm aware.

two reasons on the original ticket,

1) car details are wrong, ticket says blue, owner describes car as black.

2) the one we are debating
only the council and police can hand out actual fines, the others are a penalty charge which is not legally enforceable and clamping / towing is no longer legal.

as such disabled spaces in a supermarket car park are essentially spaces with a reserved sign on them, the decent thing is to leave them for people who have less mobility / need the space around their vehicle to get in and out.

people are highlighting that there are many people who perhaps have a blue badge who might not actually be entitled to it.

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackw72 wrote:

Yes technically, though I tend to respect the disabled spaces out of courtesy for those who may genuinely need to park in them.

What if I paint double yellow lines on your driveway and the road in front of your house? Would you pay the parking tickets I gave to you for parking on them?

pinkyfloyd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:52 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If a non-disabled motorist parks in a disabled space in a private car park they can be asked to leave. But it can't be legally insisted. For instance at a supermarket, an employee can ask the driver to move their car from the reserved space. But they can't legally insist on it.

https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/www.direct.gov.uk/en/disabledpeople/motoringandtransport/bluebadgescheme/dg_171251

Seems you can park in disabled bays that are not council ran (IE on street is council and you cannot park, off street is private)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Boxing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope not to offend anyone with this post.

Anyway, when I'm in my local Tesco car park (the bike parking bays are right next to the disabled parking bays) I see many people parking in the disabled bays with blue badges that are young looking lads and ladies, I assume they just take their parents / grandparents badges and go have a field day shopping. Rolling Eyes

And I see a lot of morbidly obese women and men parking in the disabled bays. One of them, I wondered how their little Corsa coped with all the weight on the front springs.

Marmalade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those white boxes painted on the road outside someone's house are advisory only so you can park in them.
Likely to get demands to move from all the locals but there is nothing legally can be done.
Nobby the Bastard: How yo tell the difference between the actual japanese and her just screaming because she's had live fish stuck up her arse? [url=https://www.nicks-shop.co.uk/bcf-goodies-15-c.aspGet BCF stickers and things here[/url] Reflective helmet stickers - Legal requirement in france - Clicky
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCW
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:14 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was going through my second bout of cancer treatment and generally shit poorly, I stopped on some waste ground to post a letter and was clamped but a very menacing thug who had been hiding behind a car and raced out to get me as I put the letter in the box. He insisted on £150 cash within an hour or the car would be towed and I would have to pay £400 to get it back.

The police refused to get involved. I was forced to walk nearly a mile to the nearest bank. It was a miracle I actually had £150 as,at the time, I was scrounging off people who worked, whilst I lounged around having bits cut out of me and toxic chemicals pumped into my system, pausing only to puke my guts out and watch my hair come out in clumps.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. I took him to court for the money and won. He appealed. He lost his appeal. He appealed his appeal, lost and was told he could not appeal again. I went public and lots of his victims took him to court. I gave evidence to the parliamentary sub-committee on private parking contractors. Private clamping was banned. He went out of business.

dgo1212
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:36 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing wrote:
I see many people parking in the disabled bays with blue badges that are young looking lads and ladies, I assume they just take their parents / grandparents badges and go have a field day shopping. Rolling Eyes

They probably drive a disabled/elderly relative around, they can even have the motability peeps pay their road tax if the person they drive around doesn't drive, and they can even have a "free car" if the disabled relative requests it, ie if your dad is disabled and can't/doesn't drive but you do, he can exchange his DLA for a brand new car, road tax and tyres for you to drive him around in, then everytime he calls for a lift you then make sure you're too busy and pretty much treat the car as your own, with the added perks of being able to park closer to the doors of the places you visit, then a few month before the car is 3yr old take dad out on lots of day trips and shopping sprees, promise dad you'll try and get down more often and then go pick out your next new car with him, take biscuit for another few years and repeat. Sadly this really happens as some people really do have no morals or a single shred of dignity

willis1337
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:40 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmalade wrote:
Those white boxes painted on the road outside someone's house are advisory only so you can park in them.
Likely to get demands to move from all the locals but there is nothing legally can be done.

I think if there is a post with a sign on them, then they are enforcable by local wardens (well in Brighton they are anyway).

Also could someone please explain to me why do blue badge holders park in car parks and pay, when they can park on street, in spaces (for free), or even on double yellows, provided they are not causing an obstruction?! Okay if it's nearer to where they are going but that's defo not poss in some car parks with spaces for disabled.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:27 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW wrote:
[I got clamping banned]

I had to read that twice to be sure that Warped hadn't written it.

Well deserved:
https://rogerborg.dnsd.me/salute.jpg

(That's how I picture you on your Vara, by the way).

Bikermice
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 17:50 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Re: Disabled Parking Bay Ticket Reply with quote

keggyhander wrote:

Called at mam and dads for a mug of tea on the way home and showed them the ticket. Old mother went into fear-of-authority panic mode. Fatha wasn't much different. Both wouldn't believe the unenforcibility of private parking tickets until I showed them the Pepipoo forums.

At work the next day I got the same jive off the thickos, until the gaffer went on-line and eventually said, "It looks like he's right".

Forgive my ignorance, but are you saying that these tickets are not enforceable? I always thought that if you didn't pay then you'd get a court summons and then be forced to pay, plus costs?

Also, where are you from to refer to your Dad as Fatha? The Cornish also use the same word, though it might be pronounced differently.

keggyhander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheffield, as in, "Eeee, mi fatha went crackers!"

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Re: Disabled Parking Bay Ticket Reply with quote

Bikermice wrote:
keggyhander wrote:

Called at mam and dads for a mug of tea on the way home and showed them the ticket. Old mother went into fear-of-authority panic mode. Fatha wasn't much different. Both wouldn't believe the unenforcibility of private parking tickets until I showed them the Pepipoo forums.

At work the next day I got the same jive off the thickos, until the gaffer went on-line and eventually said, "It looks like he's right".

Forgive my ignorance, but are you saying that these tickets are not enforceable? I always thought that if you didn't pay then you'd get a court summons and then be forced to pay, plus costs?

Also, where are you from to refer to your Dad as Fatha? The Cornish also use the same word, though it might be pronounced differently.

1.8 million speculative invoices containing unenforceable penalty clauses issued in 2011.

Between 500,000 and 600,000 speculative invoices containing unenforceable penalty clauses issued in 2011 went unpaid.

49 Non payers of speculative invoices containing unenforceable penalty clauses issued in 2011 issued with real stamped court papers.

24 of those non payers of speculative invoices containing unenforceable penalty clauses issued in 2011 issued with real stamped court papers lost in court.

25 of those non payers of speculative invoices containing unenforceable penalty clauses issued in 2011 issued with real stamped court papers who turned up with a proper 'pepipoo defence' won in court.

All for private parking invoices. Council / police fines different kettle of statute backed fish.

TL:DR Only mugs pay speculative invoices. Thumbs Up

Bikermice
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:14 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW wrote:
When I was going through my second bout of cancer treatment and generally shit poorly, I stopped on some waste ground to post a letter and was clamped but a very menacing thug who had been hiding behind a car and raced out to get me as I put the letter in the box. He insisted on £150 cash within an hour or the car would be towed and I would have to pay £400 to get it back.

The police refused to get involved. I was forced to walk nearly a mile to the nearest bank. It was a miracle I actually had £150 as,at the time, I was scrounging off people who worked, whilst I lounged around having bits cut out of me and toxic chemicals pumped into my system, pausing only to puke my guts out and watch my hair come out in clumps.

Revenge is a dish best served cold. I took him to court for the money and won. He appealed. He lost his appeal. He appealed his appeal, lost and was told he could not appeal again. I went public and lots of his victims took him to court. I gave evidence to the parliamentary sub-committee on private parking contractors. Private clamping was banned. He went out of business.

Good for you!

neil.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:42 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW wrote:

This post has made my day. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Karma

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 22:24 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW wrote:

Clapping

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

dgo1212 wrote:
Boxing wrote:
I see many people parking in the disabled bays with blue badges that are young looking lads and ladies, I assume they just take their parents / grandparents badges and go have a field day shopping. Rolling Eyes

They probably drive a disabled/elderly relative around, they can even have the motability peeps pay their road tax if the person they drive around doesn't drive, and they can even have a "free car" if the disabled relative requests it, ie if your dad is disabled and can't/doesn't drive but you do, he can exchange his DLA for a brand new car, road tax and tyres for you to drive him around in, then everytime he calls for a lift you then make sure you're too busy and pretty much treat the car as your own, with the added perks of being able to park closer to the doors of the places you visit, then a few month before the car is 3yr old take dad out on lots of day trips and shopping sprees, promise dad you'll try and get down more often and then go pick out your next new car with him, take biscuit for another few years and repeat. Sadly this really happens as some people really do have no morals or a single shred of dignity

In theory you can't use the blue badge in that way

My gran had a blue badge but never claimed DLA, basically she has bad arthritis in her legs and so walks quite slowly with a stick and can't carry things far.

When she gave up driving she gave me her car to use when I was home from uni in the summers on the understanding that I'd be able to get to work and also give her lifts to the supermarket.

I used to also drop her off in town, go off elsewhere and she'd ring me to come collect her.

legally if she is not with me I can not park the car, put her blue badge on to get free parking (council car parks in her town allow free parking for blue badge holders) nor can I use it for a disabled space.

the exception to this is parking the car with the blue badge on, walk up to meet her, carry her shopping back to the car for her and then take her home.

the blue badge goes with the person and their use of a vehicle.
technically I could park my bike in a disabled space with the blue badge on provided I'd taken my gran pillion to get there!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 52 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4