Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cops don't care...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 04 Feb 2013    Post subject: Cops don't care... Reply with quote

Most of my day today was spent driving my completely unregistered Caterham to caterham midlands for a post build check. I used the MOT loophole to allow me to drive it to an MOT centre and then on to a place of repair. I passed 4 cops (one on foot) and was tailed by an unmarked car for a couple of miles but none of them bothered to stop me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:01 - 04 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a pic...

https://cdn.bikechatforums.com/files/image_206.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 04 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky, last time I drove a kit car for an IVA, I got stopped twice and missed my appt.

Everything all good with the build? I seem to recall a friend failing for not having the strength of the bolts stamped on the ones holding the seat railings down.
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:21 - 04 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyro. wrote:
Lucky, last time I drove a kit car for an IVA, I got stopped twice and missed my appt.

I think I got away with it because my MOT was at a place near the IVA. The unmarked car that followed me pulled past when I took the turn off to the IVA centre.

Pyro. wrote:
Everything all good with the build? I seem to recall a friend failing for not having the strength of the bolts stamped on the ones holding the seat railings down.

It was an absolute PITA! Everything component has mm tolerances, just not the same tolerances as all the other parts. My mallet became my favourite tool! I had to put over 350kgs of force to persuade the diff into it's mount (measured by the rating of the rope that I used to do it and the fact it began to fray!). I'm sure one day I'll be proud of it and look back at the good parts, but right now I'm just damn glad Caterham are presenting it and doing the final little bits...

Rowey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:55 - 04 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a bragging thread? If so, well done, I am well and truly jealous now...

How long did it take you to build? How much did it cost? Did you need a properly kitted out workshop?

There are very few other vehicles I'd like to own.

I'm off to waste a few hours watching these get man handled around some tracks.

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:21 - 04 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rowey wrote:
Is this a bragging thread? If so, well done, I am well and truly jealous now...

How long did it take you to build? How much did it cost? Did you need a properly kitted out workshop?

There are very few other vehicles I'd like to own.

I'm off to waste a few hours watching these get man handled around some tracks.

Kind of a bragging thread and kind of a cool story bro.

It took 70hrs with a little over one person plus a long day on Sunday tidying it up for the road. I built it in my mother's garage which is a little longer than most garages but not particularly wide. I built it using a tool box that fits in the front of my (classic) fiat 500 and a few extras from halfords when needed. Only thing that really needed workshop tools was for lifting the engine - I hired a cheap hoist from HSS for the weekend. Mine is for the academy so I get a 7 race package, ards test and race support for £20k - that's only slightly more than a ford focus (which is where the engine comes from).

I think I get some race tickets so I'll post any spares on bcf + anyone who does pop down I'll do the best I can to give them a tour / ride round the block.

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 04 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were probably too busy wanking over the awesomeness of your car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:27 - 04 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I demand specs!

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:06 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
I demand specs!

It's the base model:
Quote:
Engine: 1600 Ford Sigma
Max Power (bhp/rpm): 125 @ 6100
Max Torque (lbs ft/rpm): 120 @ 5350
Weight: 525kg
0-60mph: 5.9 Seconds
Power-to-weight: 227 bhp-per-tonne
Top Speed: 112mph

And the Academy package:
Quote:
Caterham 7 Roadsport (1.6 125bhp)
A complete road-legal car for self-assembly

Academy Seminar
An introduction to the year ahead with hints and tips on everything from building your car to buying the right crash helmet.

Set-up day
Learn how to tune the car to suit your driving.

ARDS Test + Medical
Get your racing licence.

Circuit test day
Final testing before your first event.

All licence, club membership, entry fees and registration fees.
We take the pain out of motorsport

Handling Day
Hone your driving skills in your 7.

3 championship speed events
Start your season with sprints and hillclimbs.

4 championship circuit races
Race head to head on the circuit.

Plus: Technical support, timing transponder, circuit guide, document bag, Academy information pack... and lots of fun!

-LG-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:20 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

Paris2
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 09:27 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it! If I ever have the money and space I will build one of these one day.

How reliable are they for everyday use? Do most people drive them to the race days or trailer them?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:28 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

<FACT>Coppers' vision is based on registration plates.</FACT>

Oh, right, you got one of those fancy kit cars with all the bits in the kit. Razz

I threw together a T&J Locust in my follacious youth. The ladderframe, plastics, and the plans for the aluminium skimmed plywood body tub arrived, and that was that. No instructions, nowt else. This was pre-intardtubes, so the build process was more MacGyver than Mecanno.

Brilliant laugh though, and in them days, all you needed was an MOT from the local spanner monkey to get road legal. Dance!

Also, fuelolium was 2 1/2p per gallon and the local Bobby was required to give you three "Boys will be boys" warnings before prosecuting you for speeding. 100% true to the best of my recollection. Hand

cimbian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a pretty good package for the money. Nice one. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:58 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:

How reliable are they for everyday use? Do most people drive them to the race days or trailer them?

They're a ford focus engine, a simple old gearbox and a diff from a bmw 1 series. Everything else can be installed with a mallet so they're really pretty reliable.

From the stories it has changed over the years. Trailers were banned to start with, now the majority use them. I'll be driving to the races though - especially as there's a bit of priority given to those who need their car working to drive away afterwards.

reckless_b
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:26 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

in 2000 I built a reliant based trike and when I booked it in for its mot,( pre iva, sva era)I was told by the tester that if insured ( on the chassis number) it was quite legal to drive to the test station when it was booked in. The test took a while due to blowing a headlamp fuse on full lock but the tester was very patient and would wander off to do other things until I was ready to try again, the fix was quite easy when I found it and I trailered it away home ( yes chickened out of driving it there), sometimes wish I still had it.

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paris2 wrote:

The 7 was originally designed that you could drive to the track, however i think many people trailer them in order to also take a stock of spares and tools etc.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 11:38 - 05 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is one of the races at Brands? If so and you have a spare ticket let me know and I could come down and take some photos of you whizzing round. Thumbs Up

Even if you ain't got a spare let me know and I might pop down if I'm free. Thumbs Up

Fnatic
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:12 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only traffic have ANPR on board which scans every single registration plate. Normal response bobbies have to manually put it through the on-board computer if their vehicles has one, or call it through the radio.

So not so much they don't care, just that they didn't run your plate through PNC. They may have been busy with other stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Acemastr
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pre-reg, he doesn't have a registration plate

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Is one of the races at Brands? If so and you have a spare ticket let me know and I could come down and take some photos of you whizzing round. Thumbs Up

Even if you ain't got a spare let me know and I might pop down if I'm free. Thumbs Up

Yup, there's one at Brands - it's on the same weekend as the Caterham 40th festival too so the place will be full of em.

Acemastr wrote:

Spot on... no plates at all!

Fnatic
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Yup, there's one at Brands - it's on the same weekend as the Caterham 40th festival too so the place will be full of em.

Acemastr wrote:

Spot on... no plates at all!

Ah apologies, quite lucky to get away with it then.

Lovely motor by the way.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:01 - 08 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably gave it a moments thought, then decided their 1.6 Astra diesel was not going to be able to catch a Catty if you made off, so couldn't be bothered.

That or the ANPR database network wasn't working that day and they didn't know. Very Happy
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 51 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1