Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Legalities of moving someone else's vehicle?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:28 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Legalities of moving someone else's vehicle? Reply with quote

Ok here's one for you - *looks at Roger*

Alleyway behind my house runs along the rear of our street, does a right turn and exits on the pavement between a house and a shop. Shop front is set back from the road so the shop has a wide frontage which is a continuance of the pavement. house on the other side has a wall that continues up to the pavement. Shop has closed and the owner has parked a large van on the front which doesn't move. The van is parked too close to the garden wall to get my bike in and out of the alley, and apart from that I have just bought a chunky lathe that I want to bring in via the alley, and there's no room for that either.

I plan to bring home a large trolley jack, pick up the back of the van and roll it forwards to make the gap behind the van as wide as the alley to preserve my access. If I do this without causing any damage - what laws might I be breaking?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Last edited by Pete. on 07:07 - 07 Feb 2013; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

daemonoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you can't get in touch with the owner. You could probably get the cops involved in this one - he's blocking an access/right of way and they should sort it. They might try to claim it as a civil matter though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a vague memory of the boxer Chris Eubanks being 100% let off, case dismissed in court for moving someones vehicle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

None, as far as I can see. As long as there's no damage, no attempt to enter the vehicle and no intent to cause distress to the owner I'm not sure how you could be breaking a law.

I suppose they could stick a TWOC on you but no justice system in the world would consider that a case worth pursuing.

In fact, when I went for my first mod 1 test there was a car parked on the course and the police advised the dsa guys that we could move it if we could do so without entering or damaging the vehicle. Unfortunately neither of the assessors had a trolley jack in the pannier of their Pan Euro.

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

daemonoid wrote:
You could probably get the cops involved in this one

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:46 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting one, it's not TWOC as your not driving the vehicle.

If I was sure I could do it without damage....or getting caught. I probably would do as you say.

But in life in general, I'm 100% wrong in every gut-feeling decision, so cops is probably the best thing to do if you can't contact the owner.

wilz1234
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:53 - 06 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cut the handbrake cable. Dont leave any traces it was you
soforene This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Joncrete Cungle
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:01 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What nick is the van in? When some idiot blocked me in a mates yard with his van against the gate, three of us pushed it across the road with the hand brake on left it blocking the side road opposite and rang the rozzers to report a dangerously parked van blocking the side road.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 02:36 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a fire hazard to me.

Phone the fire brigade on their non-emergency number. Tell them there is a van parked across the auxilliary fire exit for a row of houses in which you live.

They'll move it with extreme prejudice when they have a minute because they spend a lot of time bored out of their box.

If it's wide enough to count as an access point for a fire engine, they'll move it even worse.

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:58 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nexus Icon wrote:

I suppose they could stick a TWOC on you
There is no intention to deprive anyone of anything they own, so they couldn't. Karma

I'd do what StinkWheel suggested. Thumbs Up
Yoyo This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

jeddy11
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 04:51 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

jack the back up with a trolley jack and wheel it along there is no crime committed unless you damage the van when moving it..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:10 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeddy11 wrote:
jack the back up with a trolley jack and wheel it along there is no crime committed unless you damage the van when moving it..

Thank you I might do this. Wish I had thought of it myself really....

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:26 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure the trolley jack will wheel while loaded with the van.

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:34 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I had a transit tipper I used to live next to a very attractive but dim ka driver. She would park over both spaces in her little ka so every night upon my return I'd get bumper to bumper and push her car forward 6 foot or so. I'm guessing if you move it just enough for proper access he'll not even know.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:39 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Just make sure the trolley jack will wheel while loaded with the van.

Half-inch steel plate under the wheels should take care of that.

thegubner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:49 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
will wheel while

Bastard.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:20 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound like BS but a friend of mine was in a similar situation. Car was blocking entrance to his driveway so he got a trolley jack, a block of wood wrapped in an old towel so as not to damage any paintwork. Jacked up the car and rolled it forwards about 5 feet.

An hour later the cops were round asking him loads of questions and I can't remember what actually happened but he will never do it again and IIRC the owner claimed there was damage to the car when it must have been caused before this incident.

Do what stink said and call the brigade.

duhawkz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:

An hour later the cops were round asking him loads of questions and I can't remember what actually happened but he will never do it again and IIRC the owner claimed there was damage to the car when it must have been caused before this incident.

I suspect this is the most likely outcome, the police and claims you have damaged it.

If you do move it the take loads of photos first so you can prove you didn't damage it

DrDonnyBrago
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you find the owners details on companies house?

EDIT: to clarify - owner of the business, ergo, owner of the van.

Last edited by DrDonnyBrago on 14:38 - 07 Feb 2013; edited 1 time in total

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:21 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloke who repairs bikes used to do this in worcester regulary

he used to get market traders parking out side his unit

jacked up the cars and moved them up the road and left them on double yellows

traffic wardens booked the cars

trader used to get back at the end of the day to find a ticket on the car go down to complain and then change their mind

bloke was an ex hells angel and was about 6 foot 5 tall

and looked like captain caveman Laughing

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:27 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Re: Legalities of moving someone else's vehicle? Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
what laws might I be breaking?

Posse Comitatus E Pluribus Unum.

I'd normally suggest contacting the owner (work van? Phone number on it? Leave a note?) but the guy's clearly an ignorant twat, so honestly? I'd just move it, then whistle innocently. Whistle

It's not a case of what law you may or may not be breaking, it's about the likelihood of being convicted for it, which is essentially zero. Heck, parking ghouls are still nicking vehicles and getting away with it.

For extra giggles, report it to the local council as an abandoned vehicle.

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:34 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Roberts wrote:
Round the block maybe he will. Laughing

Round the block would leave it in the same place and not solve anything. Laughing

Seriously though, I think you should move it. Give it a nice big bump and check for an alarm, then come back at night and move it forward using a trolley jack. As said, photos might be a good idea and not crashing it into a wall would be advisable. Are the front wheels facing in the correct direction?

I don't even think the owner would care. Surely it's better than getting it removed.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:47 - 07 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for stinkwheel's plan.
I take it the van is taxed and has disc showing? If not can you not report as abandoned? (from what you said van parked on pavement. Pavement is part of road. Although that may take days/weeks to get removed).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 88 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3