Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

KTM Duke 125 Build Quality....DON'T BUY ONE!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hannah49
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:39 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: KTM Duke 125 Build Quality....DON'T BUY ONE!! Reply with quote

Hi...second post here...had my Duke 125 for 11 months now and so far the joyous list of problems include:

Spluttering Engine/remapping issue
Faulty dashboard-flickering and misty
Faulty brake light switch
Seized gear selector
coolant leak from dodgy lid
not to mention the recurrent oil leaks!
Paints come off the grab handles too

Had 2x main dealer services, less thank 4k miles (these problems started from new) all at £3,700 bought new!

Anyone else had a similar experience?!

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:34 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. Never owned one myself. Was everything replaced under the warranty?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 125 Build Quality....DON'T BUY ONE!! Reply with quote

wow, almost £4k on a 125. I hope they fix it for free with no fuss.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:40 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheap Asian tat sold at premium prices. Welcome to the future of biking.

You'll want to comment in MCN's review at the very least.

With that markup on it, I'd expect a dedicated KTM mechanic tucked away under the seat.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:10 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Re: KTM Duke 125 Build Quality....DON'T BUY ONE!! Reply with quote

Hannah49 wrote:

Faulty dashboard-flickering and misty

My 2008 690 enduro had this - a bit poor that they haven't learnt their lesson. Mine was replaced under warranty.

UnspeedySam
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:08 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the look of the 390 which is a bigger engine in the same frame. Unfortunately after sitting on it at the MCN show I now know it is far too small for me...so I don't want one any more. More likely look at the 690 if I were to get one.

Really hope it's being fixed for free. How long is the warranty?

lazymccrazy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:35 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: YES! Reply with quote

Just made an account to say that iv had many problems as well.
Brought my duke in August last year

Since then I have had a faulty dashboard that was constantly saying my bike needed a service even though it had just been in for one.

A faulty front brake light switch. The rubber cap gets cold and doesn't budge. I ended up taking the rubber cap off so it is now exposed to the elements but its working i suppose.

After 2500 miles a new sprocket set and chain was needed due to a stiff link. Not covered by the warranty due to it being a wearable part. (I lube my chain fortnightly and clean it every 2 monthish)
Just in case you missed it... 2500 miles....

Recently had an engine light come on. Rang the garage up and they said it was nothing. If it goes then that's it leave it, if it doesn't then bring it down and they'll plug her in... The light went off after a few days and so i left it. A few days later it came back on so i took it down. They said they couldn't see what was wrong so they just cleared the alarm and recommended i got a trickle charger for over night as it could be a drained battery. <-- Trickle charger required for a 6 month old bike that i ride daily as its my only form of transport??

Most recently an engine light has come up and the bike has started to bog out when held at steady cruising revs. I told them and booked the bike in to be seen (had to have a day off work). When picking the bike up i was told it was reading high emissions from the sensor in the exhaust. They have cleared the alarm and been on a few test rides and all seems fine. As soon as i got on the bike the light was back up. The mechanic said "see how you go". So i thought ok, lets go around the block and see if its still bogging down... It was and they had closed as it was 6pm.

Rang them back the next day and told them. They have now orded the new part and said they'll tell me when it comes and that they hope its the sensor that's the problem.

^All in the space of 6 months...^
I bet iv took at least 6 trips to the garage regarding faults. Its not like they're local either!

£3750 for a 125 and these are the problems i face.
The Duke was intended to be a step up bike for the 690. I think i might be going with a different make all together. KTM make some nice looking bikes but boy do they have a lot of faults.

My first bike was a cheap chinese "lexmoto" that i owned for a year. Only problem i had was a rear sprocket hub bearing went about 10 months in. They said bring it down and replaced it within 10 mins in front of me.
I love my duke. But at the moment i feel shes not worth the problems she dishes out...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:24 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest that the Duke 125 is a cash in on the reputation of the bigger bikes.

Sadly common now - look at the issues with the CBF, while reviewers still trot out the tired old line "It's a Honda so don't expect problems".

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:25 - 21 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KTM690s when I got them did have a few bits and pieces...
But it was a new model and there was basically only one other bike that came near the spec (Husky TE610, a little down on power, similar weight, less adjustable front suspension).
The Japanese 'equivalents' like the XTZ660 makes a lot less power and have a lot more weight, so you'd hope they'd be a lot more reliable.

Their main-fare is of course competition dirt bikes.
There are some issues, especially on newer models - but people overall generally tolerate them as you're buying a very light bike designed to win races that's one of the best 'off the shelf' bikes you can buy. The Japanese don't really come close for enduro market saturation with very little on offer relatively.

lazymccrazy
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:54 - 19 Mar 2013    Post subject: More problems Reply with quote

So on top of what I told you all up there ^ I have just come back from the dealer and iv had to pay for new head bearings.

£230 for new bearings and second service (3550 miles).

The dealership are pushing for a claim to get my money back however I'm not impressed at all. A bike that is 6 months old needing new head bearings. As much as I love my bike I have made a vow... Never will I buy another KTM product. Disgusting quality for one of the most expensive 125's on the market!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:33 - 20 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dafuq would you pay a penny for that up front? That's clearly a warranty issue. Exclamation

Sable
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:09 - 20 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Dafuq would you pay a penny for that up front? That's clearly a warranty issue. Exclamation

Prolly cause when your new to vehicles, and not attuned to dealership bull, you sometimes fall for the 'Yeah mate, we'll look after you and sort it out' lines.

Been there, fell for that.

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 17:49 - 20 Mar 2013    Post subject: Re: YES! Reply with quote

lazymccrazy wrote:

After 2500 miles a new sprocket set and chain was needed due to a stiff link.

£230 for new bearings and second service (3550 miles)

Saw you coming.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 18:03 - 20 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you KTM buyers not learn from 'The Long Way Round' ? Wink

Maybe BMW should produce a 125cc GS then Very Happy

I know KTM do the Dakar but that's not your ride out of the showroom bikes. They've always struck me as fragile machines needing a lot of tlc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:11 - 20 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I know KTM do the Dakar but that's not your ride out of the showroom bikes. They've always struck me as fragile machines needing a lot of tlc.

Quite the opposite, I'd say.
Ok; a Dakar bike is going to be pretty fettled.
But compared to the Jap bikes, you're much more likely, if you're very skilled, to be able to get a KTM straight out of the box and win a race on it than a Japenese bike.
Yes, their competition bikes are more fragile than non-competition bikes, but they're generally at least as reliable as the competition while being lighter and more powerful.

The non-performance road bike is a bit of a new market to them, however - previously, even a bit lardier bikes like the 690 Duke for instance still had the claim of being the world's most powerful production single.

And yes, sadly BMW probably would make a lot of money from a 125GS from all the wannabe bankers to get around London on Wink.

Tomzo47
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:29 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

a mate had one of these, with god knows how many issues. So he passed his test and swapped it. with a Ducati Brick Wall

TwoWheelsDail...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:59 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.. Abit harsh.

I have one and have had it for 9 months or so. I have had a few little problems, Faulty brake light switch, faulty speedo, small paint cracks. The dealer i purchased the bike from has fixed all of these as it is under warrenty for 3 years. I sent KTM a letter and they responded within a week appologising and gave me £100 worth of powerparts/wear vouchers as an appology. I think give them a chance as we all know KTM engines are fantastic! they are just stuck in the stone age when it comes to electrics.

Im sure all bikes/cars/lorries/buses all develop problems. So dont be so harsh?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 18:02 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

bennreptiles wrote:
I think give them a chance as we all know KTM engines are fantastic!

What's fantastic about this engine?

Normally KTM engines are light and powerful for what they are.
This is neither. I don't think it even makes as much power as a a 25 year old honda cb125t leaner-commuter?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:12 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

bennreptiles wrote:
Hmmmm.. Abit harsh.

I have one and have had it for 9 months or so. I have had a few little problems, Faulty brake light switch, faulty speedo, small paint cracks. The dealer i purchased the bike from has fixed all of these as it is under warrenty for 3 years. I sent KTM a letter and they responded within a week appologising and gave me £100 worth of powerparts/wear vouchers as an appology. I think give them a chance as we all know KTM engines are fantastic! they are just stuck in the stone age when it comes to electrics.

Im sure all bikes/cars/lorries/buses all develop problems. So dont be so harsh?

Hmm, thinking about the brand new bikes I have owned in the last 5 years....

Tiger Explorer - 6 months old, no problems.
Street triple R - Owned for 2 years, 4000 miles no problems, although bungying a tent on the back seat rubbed the paint off the tail fairing Mad .
Suzuki Hayabusa - Owned for 2 years & 7000 miles, no problems.

This isn't an advert for any make. If I'd have bought a new Kwack or Yam I would expect the same in that time scale - No problems.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:20 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not surprised, my 690 had a few issues despite being less than a year old and the warranty was not worth the paper it was printed on. It never let me down but I think KTM need to work on their reliability especially if they want a piece of the commuter market.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:28 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 690 had a few bits and pieces too - but then it manages to be both a good chunk more powerful and a good chunk lighter than similar capacity Japanese bikes. So for that I can 'excuse' it, as they've presumably had the constraint of keeping things fairly light.

The Duke 125 weighs something between a CBR125 and a R125; so don't really see an 'excuse' there.
They make a road legal 125EXC which has over twice the power and a good bit less weight - the Duke is 33% heavier.
(The Duke is only 11kg lighter than the 690 enduro which makes over four times the power and is a 'proper' road bike.)

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:38 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, you aren't alone, on the KTM forum it's the same mind set there, yes it has its issues but there isn't really another bike like it. It's also why despite the issues I had I want another one Laughing

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:44 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Husaberg 610 is pretty similar, but when I had a test ride on one, it felt like the build quality was likely worse.
(The newer 630 is a chunk heavier.)

I kinda like the idea of the G650 too - less power and more weight; but then better fuel economy may mean you carry less fuel with you - and double the service intervals as well.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 21 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the 2012 SMC-R & Enduro have the newer 690cc engines which by magic have twice the service intervals as well so there's that.

YBR Ric
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:52 - 23 Mar 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've certainly learnt something new today about the small KTM, but does anyone have any knowledge on finish quality of the Spanish Rieju brand?

Performance wise their RS3 125 NKD could appeal to those not wishing to pay for a 15bhp Japanese bike (the RS3 uses the engine fitted to the YZF R125 Yamaha but without the fuel injection)
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 37 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6