Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cash Converters V Ebay

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:01 - 23 Feb 2013    Post subject: Cash Converters V Ebay Reply with quote

I have an Electronic Yamaha piano I want to get rid of, I've never sold on ebay nor taken anything to a cash converters, going by ebay and other sales sites it is worth between £350 - £450. (paid £900 a few years back when the klad was into his music)
Because of shifts and the like I can't guarantee being in for people to collect so ebay will be a pain in the arse. What are the pros and cons of cash converters? ( same pain in the arse for selling in the newspaper)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Snorty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:43 - 23 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cash converters aren't likely to pay you anything near what you'll get off eBay. They make their money by buying stuff for less than it's actually worth and re-selling.

Wouldn't fund their scummy business by selling to them, personally.

Past: CB125TDC | TZR125 | GPZ500 | CBR600F3 | ZX9-R | GSXR1000 K4
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jeddy11
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:54 - 23 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above but instead of less than its worth read fecking peanuts and re-selling read as extortion roughly 5-10% of retail.

Was looking atsome tools that literally looked like they had come out of the back of a trades mans van all covered in shit they were dewalt and up for 100's of pounds at least wash them first...

They prey on the desperate..

pooley_99
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 16:06 - 23 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with both above. Ebay all the way. just put in your ad that you work shifts and pickup needs to be arranged. Or you could always ship it at buyers cost. You'll just have to package it.
I've used this comparison website before:
https://www.deliveryquotecompare.com/courier-services/
to send 4 alloy wheels and it was surprisingly cheap! Thumbs Up

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:12 - 23 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeddy11 wrote:

They prey on the desperate..

Exactly, utter scumbags. No better than wonga and co. Evil or Very Mad

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:36 - 23 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you slip a fiver to a eBaying friend to list it for you?

I have a couple of mates I list things for, on occasions.

fatpies
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:23 - 24 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

A point to note, digital pianos depreciate like crazy.

They are after all small computers.

What was state of the art is superseded by entry level machines.

£900... makes me think DGX series.

As its too cheap for a P155. But too expensive for a P95. P60 or P85 perhaps?

The big ebay problem is you'll get tyre kickers, even piano shops have this problem. A PX3 was relisted 9 times nearby because of tyre kickers.

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:30 - 24 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The presumption at Cash Converters is that you are selling stolen goods and the prices paid reflect this: ie iphone 4 in box with charger= 4 X £10 wraps of smack.

bezzabsa
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 18:53 - 24 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap converters also base their prices on what they are selling for on E gay...

i'd find a local-ish music shop and drop an add in there...

Seb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 24 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll always get more on ebay, just remember to factor in those fees. If you're in no hurry then private ads elsewhere are worth a go. It's also worth seeing if you have a music shop near you that dabbles in used gear, they should be quite a bit braver than cash converters as far as posh gear goes simply through understanding what they are looking at (Cash converter's great downfall).

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:52 - 24 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was starving I'd still rather burn my shit than sell it to Cash Converters. Utter filth.

nowhere.elysium
The Pork Lord

PostPosted: 23:38 - 24 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for Cash Converters briefly, some years ago. They're total con men. You'll get fleeced if you try to sell anything there - eBay doesn't guarantee a good return for your original purchase, but you've got a higher chance of making more money.

I don't know if they still use the same labelling scheme, but when I was there, they had a system of annotating the purchase price on the label; using the word 'chelmsford', with c representing 1 and d representing 0, they'd write the price they paid for an item, along with the date it was brought in. Sales bods were allowed to deviate from the label price by a maximum of 15%, as long as it was still notably higher than the encoded price paid on the label.

They prey on people's desperation; if you're visibly anxious to shift it, they'll screw you as hard as they can, but they'll ask a the bare minimum number of questions; hence the amount of hot goods they tend to sell. Car stereos were always a perennial favourite, as were power tools.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 25 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the general rule is-

Stuff you just want to be rid of goes to Cash Converters. Guaranteed to get some money for it since anything you get is profit. Stuff you want to get a return on goes on eBay because you'll get a better price for it although there's the chance of being fucked around by flaky buyers and JiveBunny.

metalangel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:02 - 25 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a top box I wanted rid of, I just couldn't find anyone interested so in the end I went to Cash Generator who'd never seen one before. They looked it up on eBay and offered me a bit less than the highest priced one.

Cunts, but at least I got something for it.

fatpies
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:48 - 25 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Above Thumbs Up BUT you've also got to remember their insulting prices reflect their high costs.

Having rented a large industrial unit recently and paid 1000s in rent and business rates. I wouldn't like to think how much high street rents and business rates are.

Just looking at some in Halifax and some rents are £3K a month, with business rates to match. Stick in wages and there isn't a lot left.

There was something about wetherspoons a few weeks ago where for every £1 profit they made, they paid something ridiculous like £12 (might have been £17) in taxes.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:55 - 25 Feb 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I hate it, would have to be eBay.

Took my XBox 360 to Computer Exchange.

Offered me £84 inc Kinect. Not great, but I've never played it. After dossing around for an hour for them to test, they claimed that the controller had battery acid leaked on it. I could barely see it and it was just on the springs that hold the battery in, not on the circuit board.

After 'deductions' for a new controller, I was offered £31. I told them to go fuck themselves. Thieving cunts!

Traded in some games a few weeks earlier, to be proudly told the voucher is valid for 1,000 years. They didn't look happy when I said they'd be lucky to last a year on the high street.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 56 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1