Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Opinions on AJP motorycles?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:38 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Opinions on AJP motorycles? Reply with quote

I've ventured out of the off road forum to ask this question, even though I am considering a new trail bike.

Does anyone have any experience of AJP motorcycles, what are your opinions of them?

I am considering buying one.

https://sphotos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/35894_10151334165836207_2026140686_n.jpg
https://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/15220_10151334165481207_2032165694_n.jpg
https://sphotos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/406995_10151334165236207_2007636400_n.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 08:48 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, but it looks shit. If you're gonna go for hand built in iberia, at least go for a Gas Gas. They don't have great build quality, but they do last well and their performance is astonishing. If you're going to buy from sombrero wearing siesta merchants, then GasGas is the one to go for.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_mjs_
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 08:53 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had three grand to spend on a bike, I wouldn't waste it on that piece of shit.

Imonster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:01 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 200 I rode had an astonishingly heavy clutch (can be fixed with a mod apparently) and needed a smidge more power - I wasn't greatly impressed.

The 250 (PR5) on the other hand was superb and I had a thoroughly enjoyable two days hooning around the Spanish mountains on one, so much so that it's made my shortlist for next bike. Speaking to the chap that runs them in Spain, they have so far been very reliable (based on the XR 250). They've got a lovely weight distribution, and I felt very at home on it.

Unless you're desperate for brand new, this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-AJP-PR5-250-Enduro-/271191560990?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item3f2446d31e

has been on ebay for some time, so I reckon they'd accept a little less than the quoted £3200. The bike's basically brand new, and if I had the cash I would have grabbed it myself by now.

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 10:33 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Re: Opinions on AJP motorycles? Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
...Does anyone have any experience of AJP motorcycles...

Have you read the MCN review? Clicky link if you click here

HTH Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:44 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rip off, 3 grand, really

Imonster
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:48 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha-9 wrote:
Rip off, 3 grand, really

For a new, pretty decently made trail bike? Like I said, the PR5 is better but the 200 isn't shit, just not for me. They're excellent value for money in comparison to KTM's (as an example.)

Alpha-9
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imonster wrote:
Alpha-9 wrote:
Rip off, 3 grand, really

For a new, pretty decently made trail bike? Like I said, the PR5 is better but the 200 isn't shit, just not for me. They're excellent value for money in comparison to KTM's (as an example.)

Well I guess someone has to buy new somewhere down the line. Thinking

Long as it isn't chinese, they seem alright from their site https://www.ajpmotos.co.uk/
UK makers of portugese bikes, seems legit

89 Kg PR4, thats bloody light!

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:19 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usual question, what's the parts supply like?

map
Mr Calendar

PostPosted: 14:07 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Usual question, what's the parts supply like?

UK importer of Portugese made bike using engines/bits from Taiwan. Wikipedia has the company being going since 1987 apparently, started out as a repair shop. Also says each bike is hand checked from the maker prior to dispatch (which may or may not explain the cost). Name from the founders/owners, António and Jorge Pinto.

So regarding parts, your guess is as good as mine.

However, being in the EU must give some reassurance.
Or not, how's the economy in Portugal against their Spanish neighbours?

Overall opinion seems to be they're too expensive. However, not sure if that's just the importer. Portugal dealer has PR4 200cc listed at 3650 € (about £3085, so sticker price in first post in the ballpark).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

TheManWithThe...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:26 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be using one when i go trial riding in Spain in September, so if you can wait that long, i'll let you know what they are like (250cc models)

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:01 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have one, but not at that price. I think secondhand is the only way to go for dirtbikes, but yeah AJP look decent for less money than a KTM or Husqvarna etc.

They have always struck me as a decent and capable chassis, finished off with budget componentry. A bit like a good entry level mountain bike if you will.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'd have one, but not at that price. I think secondhand is the only way to go for dirtbikes, ......

my last second hand dirt bike, is now someone elses show and and tell project..... Confused

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:48 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

secondhand dirtbikes are a liability lol sadly I cant afford new but they get a hard life so buying used is a serious gamble.

As for the AJP 200's

suspension is top notch

chassis and brakes are good

bodywork is all acerbis/polisport so cheap and easy to get as well as being decent quality unlike my poxy klx250.

Electrics are a little suspect but pretty basic and easy to sort.

Engine is underpowered on the road but perfect for trails. seems to be pretty reliable but obviously being a small engine worked hard needs plenty of oil changes and the clutch's are weak but an EBC set will sort that no worries (same as on crf230's)

some of the nuts n bolts are a little cheap but again no worse than my klx250

Parts availability is good because its all basic/generic stuff on em.

All in all I was pretty skeptical of them but after seeing and riding a few Im pretty Impressed.

STONEY!
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:52 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

original exhaust is cheap and a bit shit, probably blag a free genuine ajp sports pipe with the bike if you haggle a bit.

Pillion pegs are emergency use only lol

clutches were heavy on the early bikes but I think its been sorted now.

Sako
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that money you could get a decent second hand KTM.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:15 - 25 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is an excerpt from an e-mail I have from AJP staff member.

I dunno, still umming and ahhing about what to get.

CRF250L seemed just the ticket for the sort of green laning I'd really do, but these are interesting also.

Anyway, something to ponder when I'm at Yamaha Off Road school in Wales next week. Laughing

Quote:

With regards to bike choice, I think you would be more interested in looking at one of our 250 models (but PR4 200s are available at Trail World too) Last year's bike is essentially a fuel-injected, electric start version of your old Honda XR250, but in a much lighter, alloy frame with modern suspension and brakes. Trail World operate a number of these bikes both here and in Spain, and have found them to be tough, reliable, well handling and a great companion on any trail ride. Although officially replaced for this year by the new liquid-cooled model (more details to follow) we still have a number of PR5 250 air-cooled models in stock at sub-£4k - take a ride on Trail World's bike and see what you think.

The 2013 PR5 250LC uses an all-new, liquid-cooled, fuel-injected engine designed in-house by AJP in Portugal. The key figure relates to weight (which from your e-mail I know is a concern) - not only is it 10kg lighter than last year's model, it is 30kg lighter than the Honda CRF250L that you have ridden. At 27bhp, it is also considerably more powerful, and the "Trail" specced version is also £100 cheaper than the Honda, at only £3850 !

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:15 - 26 Apr 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can gather, the people who know about them like them, but not many people know about them and a lot that do are connected to the company.

I think 3K is a helluva punt, considering what else that can buy you; at that price, there's a shed load of tried and tested kit you can buy, stuff that you can shift easily and not lose your shirt, if you don't get on with it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 2 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1