Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bad luck - NOW SOLD

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:00 - 09 May 2013    Post subject: Bad luck - NOW SOLD Reply with quote

Today a buyer came to see my NC27 I'm selling at the moment. He said the bike looked great and he was really into it. Then I found out, there's lots of fuel on the engine and it trickled down to the ground, I was about to sell it for 950GBP, now I've got to fix it or drop the price a bit Mad

I mean, what the hell is going on, I've never had this problem and now I have it the same day a buyer comes. Lots of work has been done on the bike and now this Doh!

I know this should be in other section, but does anyone know, what should I do, to fix it? Any experiences with the same problem?

Here's a blurry photo with bad light of the place where it makes a puddle, : https://imageshack.us/a/img818/9562/leaking.jpg

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 11:26 - 19 May 2013; edited 1 time in total

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 09 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

had this on a mini with twin webers .turned out a float in the carb was stuck Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:50 - 09 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's gonna be fun, I might be cursed Laughing

Is there anything that could cause this or is it just a coincidence?

Nexus Icon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:45 - 09 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every bike and car I've ever sold has developed some sort of fault just after someone has arranged to come and see it.

I think it's some sort of universal law.

If it is a stuck float, before you start stripping it all apart, try a couple of light taps on the carb body with something like a screwdriver handle and it might unstick it. It's definitely worth a try.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:27 - 10 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear. I always like to chose non-invasive method before I start taking it apart. Thumbs Up

If that won't work, then I hope it'll be a easy job, last time I tried to pull out the carbs, it didn't move at all. My mate says he's gonna spray it with WD40 and then pull it out like nothing, I'm quite curious.

By the way, the buyer is a total beginer with no licence yet and he wants a realiable bike which wouldn't need any special care. I don't know how about in the UK, but here when you buy a 23yrs old bike for that kind of money, you don't ask questions about reliability. He looked like a bloke who's gonna give me the bike back the moment something's gonna break.

Well, will see, thanks for now lads.

BravoCharlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 10 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

By the way, the buyer is a total beginer with no licence yet and he wants a realiable bike which wouldn't need any special care. I don't know how about in the UK, but here when you buy a 23yrs old bike for that kind of money, you don't ask questions about reliability. He looked like a bloke who's gonna give me the bike back the moment something's gonna break.

tell him to get stuffed, you're not hiding anything from him. as you say, you've put money into the bike and you're getting this issue fixed.

£950 onwards usually are pretty decent bikes here mechanically but there's always gonna be one or two things if you buy a bike under £1k.

my bike needs nothing done to it, but the paintwork is a bit tatty, lucky if i'll get £750 for it!

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:58 - 10 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought a 98 CBR 600 f3 for 500 notes,
paint work in a state due to half done re-spray job but the bike, mechanically in superb condition! Practically new disks and pads, chain, sprockets etc.
Just need to paint it now :p

-Jvr
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Knacker
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:39 - 10 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit off topic but I remember when I arranged to meet my now fiancee to go out for a ride (On the bike) the bastard thing wouldn't start never knew what the problem was it hadn't done it before and hasn't done it since and that was 4 years ago.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:07 - 10 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, today my mate took a look at the bike and he found out there was some red engine sealant material between the 3rd. carburetor and its bowl. He said it was quite creamy and went of the bowl with no extra effort. I think the fuel ''ate'' a hole in it and that's what caused the leakage. All four carburetors are clean and floats work like brand new. The previous owner seems to be an engineer Rolling Eyes

So, new seal it is.

Some photos: https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Image0746_zps5ccc6660.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/Image0745_zps05f92074.jpg

Who the hell would do that? Confused

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 10 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did that once as a noob, then my pilot jet got blocked by a bead of the stuff, never did that again! Laughing

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:04 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result shouldn't cost to much to fix Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:03 - 11 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, no problem with that.

I hate people who think that it's normal to just spread any sealant material all over the place and act like nothing. I'd punch everyone, who has ever done that, with my motorcycle glove Thumbs Up

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:46 - 12 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is the gaskets probably cheaper than the sealant Very Happy

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:49 - 12 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

sidewinder wrote:
Funny thing is the gaskets probably cheaper than the sealant Very Happy

I know, but this is a special kind of people in every country all over the world, that would do that anyway and I've seen worse. We call them villagers, you might say red-necks. Just people with those ''cool'' ideas like buying an rare sports bike and custom it into a crap/street fighter, put LEDs all over it and put a four stroke muffler on a two stroke engine, polish cracked frame so it looks nice again and so on.
N cee thirty This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:38 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find OEM seal or any other one, so I asked if my mate's dad could make it and I am amazed Smile

I hope it'll work and I'm gonna finally sell the bike Thumbs Up

https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/DSC00890_zps49ecd9dc.jpg
https://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae184/RhynoCZ/DSC00894_zps3399897d.jpg

matto
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:56 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's cool, but how hard did you look for a gasket?

https://www.nrp-carbs.co.uk/shop/index.php?route=product/product&keyword=nc27&product_id=2584

BravoCharlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:04 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

matto wrote:

do they ship abroad though?

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:11 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked local shops and no one had it even in a catalogue. Then I tried ebay.

EDIT: They say, on that site you've posted, it costs 7.20GBP. The shipping would also cost quite a lot for a part like that. My mate's dad made it for me basically for free. Will see if it'll work, if not then I'm gonna spend my money for that piece of rubber Thumbs Up

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gasket sealant is not a bodge. Sometimes it's a must, I had to seal a brand new clutch cover gasket with it a while back before it would seal properly. Naff I know.

It would be interesting to know how long it lasted though. Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:01 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterious_rider wrote:
Gasket sealant is not a bodge. Sometimes it's a must, I had to seal a brand new clutch cover gasket with it a while back before it would seal properly. Naff I know.

Not the same thing, oil is not petrol, which is aggressive, especially with all those ethanol crap in it Thumbs Up

It is completely normal to use sealant on engine parts that are not exposed to the fuel.

I did 3000 miles with no leakage, the previous owner must have done that before he sold me the bike. Plus I normaly get fuel and ride it out the same day, I use 100 octane clean fuel (with no ethanol) mostly. But, the last re-fill I did was a cheap N95 from a station I normaly don't use, maybe they had there more ethanol than it's the allowed level, which ate the sealant, which is possible, I once got fuel with water in it Rolling Eyes Thinking

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 23:06 - 13 May 2013; edited 1 time in total

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:03 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
mysterious_rider wrote:

Not the same thing, oil is not petrol, which is aggressive, especially with all those ethanol crap in it Thumbs Up

It is completely normal to use sealant on engine parts that are not exposed to the fuel.

I did 3000 miles with no leakage, the previous owner must have done that before he sold me the bike. Thinking

i used gasket sealant on pitbike carbs a lot, and those things lasted long enough, although sure, petrol is aggressive, it fixed it (even for a short while,, you think how long it takes for some things to get ordered in) Not everywhere like wemoto has these in stock.

Haven't tried the ethanol fuel yet (or maybe I have and don't know!)

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:15 - 13 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the truth is, the bike had some hesitation issues, but it went off so I didn't pay it attention, but then I saw the inside of the bowl and got pretty nice picture of why the bike hesitated, as said above, the sealant was very creamy/''spreadable''.

It really looks like I took some bad fuel, not the first time. If you're ever gonna get to Czech republic, never buy Natural 95, well every one here buys it and is happy but I've got only bad experiences with the N95.

devojunior
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:23 - 14 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

sealant gasket is not a bodge or a cheap way of doing things if anything it costs more and is a pain in the arse to do on some things but if done properly works perfectly well,

i think alot of people try to apply a foocking bucket load and it ends up squashing into places it shouldnt be causing future ploblems but if used correctly is fine for most jobs if the correct sealant is used.

devojunior
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:25 - 14 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

devojunior wrote:
sealant gasket is not a bodge or a cheap way of doing things if anything it costs more and is a pain in the arse to do on some things but if done properly works perfectly well,

i think alot of people try to apply a foocking bucket load and it ends up squashing into places it shouldnt be causing future ploblems but if used correctly is fine for most jobs if the correct sealant is used.

another reason i think its used instead of a propper gasket is when you drag your bike out on a sunday morning and find a leak of some form of fluid and only place open is halfords.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 11 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2