Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 26 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
I'm no expert on them but two things I do know about expansion chambers:-

1/ the fatter the chamber part, the better acceleration over top end power. So, a fat pipe will make more power low down and better for acceleration, a skinny pipe will give you more top end power and give you a "screamer".

2/ The downpipe needs to be conical.

While still crucial, it's not so much the back-pressure that will give you more power by helping to stop unburnt fuel escaping the cylinder too easily and at the wrong time, as the resonance made by the exhaust gasses themselves.

The resonance is effectively back-pressure. Sealing relies on gas activity at all frequencies of the sound spectrum in the pipe. Change resonance and you change the sound wave (or shape) which is as much as dam it the same as changing the back pressure. It isn't only the diameter of pipe which creates back pressure.

The whole 'cycle' is determined by the speed of gas movement through the engine.

Timmeh
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 26 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the reason why 2T cans are made the way they are. The length and diameter of the 'stinger' is just as important as the rest of the zorst.

Try running a full-power stroker with an open can and you''ll notice a loss in power.

Engines with loop scavenging are more sensitive to changes in resonance, which explains why it affects some more than others.

Some early engines that have only basic ports use zorst systems that don't have an expansion chamber at all, and adding one results in little or no appreciable difference.

Now compare that will highly-strung engines like the 90's race reps where almost as much consideration went into the design of the exhaust system as did the entire engine.
20:22:30 BLUEX5: i would love to be forced to undergo a**l plugging with different sizes
20:48:18 Temeluchus: comp you hunk of smouldering homos3x you

jordey
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:13 - 26 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
bladerunner wrote:
Hydroforming is not dangerous as said earlier. Your using water not dynamite...and unlike compressed gas it won't explode on you....worst case is you spring a leak!

You think working with high pressure fluid is not dangerous?

You speak to HSE about working with high pressure fluid and see if they agree. I believe the guys who visit incidents where high pressure fluid has 'leaked' out will be able to advise you.

High pressure anything is only safe if you know what you are working with and normally would require some experience/competence.

Filling any chamber with fluid (hydraulic) will usually mean air has also to be purged. If the trapped air is not purged and the work piece fails then for sure you can have the same effect as a lump of dynamite exploding.

I work with high pressure shit for a living.

I personally wouldn't faph about with such a project as for a one-off it seems like re-inventing the wheel.

A bloke was killed last year when he was trying to make a BBQ from an old 45 Gal oil drum at his brothers house. Probably ignited some hydrocarbon which was still in the old drum but this is an example of how shit goes sadly wrong when folk don't understand what dangers are present.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2180244/Man-48-killed-explosion-sparked-sawed-oil-drum-half-make-DIY-BBQ.html

This happens almost regularly. Because people are ignorant they do not properly assess dangers. I know cutting an oil drum is fraut with hazards but mitigate the hazards by following approved procedures.

So don't casually diss a safety warning. That's Darwinism at it's Elemental best. Smile

***Morning Safety Briefing over***

a but is welded into the opposite end of the chamber, so that when you start putting the water in all the air comes out, then when theres no air inside a bolt is screwed in, so theres not really an issue of high pressure gas. the article notes at the bottom that if it 'burst' or a hole was made, the water would just spray/ leak out and pressure would be lost. it could probably be dangerous if you dont do it properly/ are an idiot about it

jordey
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 15:24 - 26 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vincent wrote:
I'm no expert on them but two things I do know about expansion chambers:-

1/ the fatter the chamber part, the better acceleration over top end power. So, a fat pipe will make more power low down and better for acceleration, a skinny pipe will give you more top end power and give you a "screamer".

2/ The downpipe needs to be conical.

While still crucial, it's not so much the back-pressure that will give you more power by helping to stop unburnt fuel escaping the cylinder too easily and at the wrong time, as the resonance made by the exhaust gasses themselves.

yeah ive been looking at different pipe shapes/ dimensions. the ginnelli pipes have smaller expansion chambers but thicker pipes. the JL systems have fetter expansion chambers but thinner pipes. the stock pipe seems to be somewhere in the middle. i think the JL pipes are designed better and would of thought they would give better performance, but there arent many tzr's about so cant look up comparisons

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 26 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

jordey wrote:
a but is welded into the opposite end of the chamber, so that when you start putting the water in all the air comes out, then when theres no air inside a bolt is screwed in, so theres not really an issue of high pressure gas. the article notes at the bottom that if it 'burst' or a hole was made, the water would just spray/ leak out and pressure would be lost. it could probably be dangerous if you dont do it properly/ are an idiot about it

Awe FFS Mad

I fecking KNOW that.... Rolling Eyes

The point I was making (trying to make) is that without the proper conditions, control, knowledge & cetera, working with high pressure can be dangerous. 20PSI air pressure in a tyre could take an eye out or at least give a nice fat lip to the unprepared.

That's all. Smile

Oh and the correct term is butt. Though it should be called a 'vent'. Razz

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:27 - 27 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper. You have obviously never hydro formed a pipe! A hand pump and water will not and trust me on this is not dangerous. A tire holds air...a gas....an exploding drum is gas...a hand pump that does a few cc at a time does not have enough volume to be a problem. I've had plenty of welds spring a leak or the metal crease and fail....opening a bottle of coke is far more dramatic than this surprisingly. I work with 1800 ton hydraulic presses and 150 bhp industrial compressors and you won't find me messing about with them. jeez I even wear eye protection when using an air line....it comes down to as soon as you Lose pressure it just becomes a pipe full of water.and being a liquid it does not compress so it does not keep bursting out UNTILL it's reached ambient pressure. When was the last time you heard of a brake line on a car or bike exploding? And they run 4 or 5 times as much pressure as you need to hydro form a pipe.
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:53 - 27 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
Walloper. You have obviously never hydro formed a pipe! A hand pump and water will not and trust me on this is not dangerous. A tire holds air...a gas....an exploding drum is gas...a hand pump that does a few cc at a time does not have enough volume to be a problem. I've had plenty of welds spring a leak or the metal crease and fail....opening a bottle of coke is far more dramatic than this surprisingly. I work with 1800 ton hydraulic presses and 150 bhp industrial compressors and you won't find me messing about with them. jeez I even wear eye protection when using an air line....it comes down to as soon as you Lose pressure it just becomes a pipe full of water.and being a liquid it does not compress so it does not keep bursting out UNTILL it's reached ambient pressure. When was the last time you heard of a brake line on a car or bike exploding? And they run 4 or 5 times as much pressure as you need to hydro form a pipe.

You have obviously miss understood the message. Rolling Eyes

If you do not vent the job what will be compressed?

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:06 - 27 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper once again you miss the point! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

You purge the air first...as stated above.... Which you seemed to know already! Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:49 - 27 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you purge the air first then you will have very little stored-up energy, and with no air inside a teaspoon of water/oil will release all the pressure.

If you don't, you could be in for a lot of pain/surgery. It's very possible to hydraulically inject yourself with the tiniest amount of oil but not very likely. Much more likely if you've got a gas compressed in there.

I use a machine that runs at 1750bar hydraulic pressure and has to be man-handled constantly in rough conditions (demolition). It's so dangerous in terms of oil injection that the pressure pipe - even though it's only a finger thick and the flow is tiny - has a second, loose sheath over it to contain any released oil to stop injection injuries so yeah - it's definately a consideration if you don't fancy being an amputee.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 27 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
IF you purge the air first then you will have very little stored-up energy, and with no air inside a teaspoon of water/oil will release all the pressure.

If you don't, you could be in for a lot of pain/surgery. It's very possible to hydraulically inject yourself with the tiniest amount of oil but not very likely. Much more likely if you've got a gas compressed in there.

I use a machine that runs at 1750bar hydraulic pressure and has to be man-handled constantly in rough conditions (demolition). It's so dangerous in terms of oil injection that the pressure pipe - even though it's only a finger thick and the flow is tiny - has a second, loose sheath over it to contain any released oil to stop injection injuries so yeah - it's definately a consideration if you don't fancy being an amputee.

To mitigate injection injury when using hyd. handtools a vegetable based fluid is recomended. Re: The incident where a Fireman was injured when the hose on the 'Jaws of Life' he was training on, ruptured and injected his hand.
It is not a rare occurence it is simply because the Internets are not polluted with reports or no fcuker is interested or folk like bladerunner have their heads up their ****/in the sand.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 27 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:

You purge the air first...as stated above.... Which you seemed to know already! Laughing

I read you are a 'Manager' in your profile...

Silly of me, I forgot that means 'someone who doesn't interpret things as read but sticks to their own opinion in debate'. Rolling Eyes

I fucking KNOW to let the air out, you Phanny.

I mentioned that item only for the benefit of someone who doesn't fucking know any better. Neutral

Christ... it's like trying to teach a stroke victim to blink on here with some folk.

jordey
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:56 - 27 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
bladerunner wrote:

I read you are a 'Manager' in your profile...

Silly of me, I forgot that means 'someone who doesn't interpret things as read but sticks to their own opinion in debate'. Rolling Eyes

I fucking KNOW to let the air out, you Phanny.

I mentioned that item only for the benefit of someone who doesn't fucking know any better. Neutral

Christ... it's like trying to teach a stroke victim to blink on here with some folk.

well im not thick so will be bleeding the air out. if the air is bled out, is it still as dangerous as youve said?
all of the information ive seen has said its not a dangerous process IF its done right

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:00 - 27 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not as dangerous as riding the damn thing.....

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:01 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think we better just let Walloper rant to himself a bit longer...I love how some people who have never actually done it have such strong opinions on how they "think" it will be Rolling Eyes

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:06 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
Yeah I think we better just let Walloper rant to himself a bit longer...I love how some people who have never actually done it have such strong opinions on how they "think" it will be Rolling Eyes

Wank.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:49 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but there's a lot of people also on here who seem to be quoting certain aspects of how to design a 2stroke expansion chamber who have never designed or built one.

In this thread I'm more interested in the mechanical aspects of how to use fluid pressure to shape a metal envelope into some kind of cylindrical vessel.

I'm with Walloper etc, with the people that are saying hydraulic pressure can be dangerous. Anyone who has worked with diesel engine fuel systems would know about that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jordey
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:40 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay so this is going fairly off topic and tbh i cant be arsed to reply to most of it.

back to the point, what would be the best way to go about this?

it would be fairly easy to get the dimensions off of the original exhaust for the cutout, but this kindof defeats the purpose. i was thinking of buying the program on the first page (its not very expensive at $17), use it to produce a paper mock up of the exhaust, then use this mockup to make a flat template, leaving extra either end for the valve/ so the welded end can be cut off. does this sound like a good/ bad idea?

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a bit of learning and skill development ..and it's only my opinion..would start off by mocking up the pipe and rolling cones if you have access to or make your own sheet roller....that way you can get a working pipe and get the routing right etc..it also allows you to alter the pipe more easily as you can cut and shut the belly section a lot easier then. Once you've got a pipe your happy with then have a go at hydro forming the final design. Hydro forming from the start is giving you a huge learning curve due to the extra variation of parts stretching and creasing that you only really learn by doing. It will still sound like a single cylinder 2 stroke though whatever you do....and a fair bit more tinny due to the single skin construction. It is an interesting project if your into your own engine development and like I said the TZ designs work well on the tzr with a little modification.

Frost
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:44 - 29 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure software like solidworks does sheet metal modeling so that might be a place to start.
Otherwise i'd just prototype it using progressively better designs and thicker metal. Something coke can thick could be formed using a foot pump and i'm willing to bet the bike would run with it on if you wanted to test it on a dyno.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:11 - 29 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to dyno test it now and then to see where the power is going is being created etc and adjust your design accordingly
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 327 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2