Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DIY tyre change, simple or not?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

bridgedino
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:17 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: DIY tyre change, simple or not? Reply with quote

Will shortly be looking at replacing my rear tyre on my CRF250L. It's a knobbly dual sport tyre on a spoked wheel with inner tube, very much like a large bicycle tyre

So my question is...is it basically like changing a bicycle tyre? Wheel off, couple of tyre levers, tube out, tyre off the fit new, ride off Very Happy

Anyone have any experience?

Cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

i did my CG tyres my self

i dunno if you have inner tubes, i did an got a pinch puncture. i repaired that aswell

yeah its basically the same as a bicycle tyre

i didn't have any soap for the tyres so squirted everything with wd40 to make the tyres slip on/ off the rims easier, just remember to wash it with washing up liquid afterwards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 14:28 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, be nice and easy on that Thumbs Up

Quote Me Happy

PostPosted: 14:31 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some decent levers like these Buzzettis

https://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/attachments/wheels-tyres-tubes/13602d1308778078-recommend-me-some-tyre-levers-9074e-4969.jpg.jpg

They have a lip on them to stop you pinching the tube.

If you're having to use a lot of force stop and think and try a smarter way.

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres on such a bike as the 250L are easy.Just take your time.But using WD40 is not a good idea as it contains chemicals which think affect the rubber.If you get it all over the inside of the rims,when it evaporates it leaves a sticky substance.this could cause the tyre to creep on the rim and pull the valve stem out of the inner tube at any time.Believe me,I have had it happen to me after a shop did not fit a new inner tube correctly.

Tubeless tyres are just as easy except breaking the bead over the safety bump

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Workshop/2013-05-05184720_zpsd28e1d3d.jpg

This was the Sunday just before the Mayday Run the next day so I had to bash on with it myself Smile

Always have a 'Plan B'

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:51 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about technique but it's pretty easy to do. As already said, If you find yourself struggling then change technique. Don't use WD40 on the bead though, use dilute washing up liquid.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:17 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of youtube videos - watch several so you've got different techniques to try out.
Did my first tyre change a few months ago and it was pretty straight forward, will be easier next time.
I used buzzeti levers as mentioned above and soapy water.
Bear in mind that warm rubber is more pliable, something that occurred to me while I was mounting my new tyres in the freezing garage - I could've kept the new tyres in the warm house until they were ready to go on.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:26 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
i didn't have any soap for the tyres so squirted everything with wd40 to make the tyres slip on/ off the rims easier, just remember to wash it with washing up liquid afterwards

Or just use the washing up liquid in the first place.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:54 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing road tyres is easy, changing MX tyres is not as they are so stiff and it is worse if you use rim-locks. When I have done it in the past I have found that blood makes a decent lube.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:31 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a neat little thingy that goes through the valve hole and screws into the valve with the core removed to pull it through the hole once you have the first bead fitted.

Saves LOTS of swearing and skinned knuckles.
https://www.adventure-spec.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/n/e/neri-01-july-12-1-33.jpg

Liberally applied ordinary household soap is best for lubing the bead. Washing up liquid can go too far and leaves a possability of the tyre rotating on the rim during use (something which rips the valve out and causes an instant deflation).

Remember to check the bead is fully seated. I had to bang the rear on the enfield up to 90psi three times with the valve core out to get it fully seated last time. Tubeless tyres usually have a line marked near the bead which should be the same distance from the rim all the way round.

yen_powell
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always put the tube (slightly inflated) into the tyre before the wheel goes near it, then pull the valve through the hole in the wheel and put the lock nut on a few turns before starting to fit it.

Islander
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:10 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I have a neat little thingy that goes through the valve hole and screws into the valve with the core removed to pull it through the hole once you have the first bead fitted.

Saves LOTS of swearing and skinned knuckles.
https://www.adventure-spec.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/n/e/neri-01-july-12-1-33.jpg

Where the fuck was that when I had a bike with tubed tyres! Laughing

evoboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:09 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Race tyres for road bikes are by far the easiest to fit. Dont even need levers! Laughing

Mx tyres can be a right swine to do.

APT Motorcycles

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

evoboy wrote:
Race tyres for road bikes are by far the easiest to fit. Dont even need levers! Laughing

My favourites are supercorsa's and Racetecs, still warm from the ride over to me - They practically fall off the rim.
Laughing

MX tyres with rimlocks are the devils spawn.
But i'm getting pretty good at them now, after lots of skinned knuckles.

bridgedino
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:34 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info

cb1rocket
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:34 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have used WD-40, yes I know I shouldn't but then I don't like washing up liquid as it contains salt that eats through the chrome and rim!

What house hold soap would you use? Is there any specific ones to go for?

Supermotard37...
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 02:31 - 29 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this guys tactics many times to change tyres on my supermoto Razz hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPaCV_uCi78

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:12 - 29 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

cb1rocket wrote:
What house hold soap would you use? Is there any specific ones to go for?

Any. I use ordinary green household soap.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 306 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1