Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bought myself a Fireblade

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Bought myself a Fireblade Reply with quote

A 929 to be more precise, been looking at them for a long time and finally bit the bullet after finding a superb example.

Pick it up in what looks to be a monsoon on Thursday so here are a couple of ad photos for the moment.

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/Fireblade1_zps333ffe95.jpg

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/Fireblade2_zpsb710f0f6.jpg

Previous owner seems to have done about 500miles a year on it and spent absolutely thousands. It looked like it had just rolled out the factory.

List of extras from the ad:

Suzuka 8 hour HRC dream machine paint job
Venom carbon fibre exhaust
Gold anodised Harris rear sets
Integrated rear light
Flush mounted front indicators
Wavy discs front and rear >100miles
Goodridge braided hoses front and rear
R&G frame protectors
Titax black short levers
Pro bolt pre load adjusters
HT White power rear shock
Tinted Headlight protector
Gilles chain adjusters
Rear hugger
Single seat unit
Alcantara seat
Harris exhaust hanger

I hope it isn't hiding any gremlins out of sight, but from initial impressions all seems good. Bring on Thursday. Mr. Green

Last edited by Aff on 18:53 - 03 Sep 2013; edited 2 times in total

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:36 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Mr. Green

I spotted this locally and was going to have a look, but noticed an R1 for sale... so head chose that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251274556319?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Have much fun and games on your Fireblade Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tungtvann
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:47 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome, I want one!

sgtcalle
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:42 - 28 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

love the paint

mapex
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:35 - 29 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much......like it

Lyam
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:38 - 29 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pick my 954 up on saturday, Cant wait! how you finding the 929?

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 29 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyam wrote:
Pick my 954 up on saturday, Cant wait! how you finding the 929?

I'll let you know tomorrow. Mr. Green

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked her up yesterday.

Pretty impressive bit of kit. Has oodles of power, even though the lack of torque low down makes if feel slower than the ER6 sometimes, probably just me not being manly enough with the throttle though. However once you hit 7K the thing bloody takes off.

Handles like its on rails, I was doing my favourite stretches of road thinking, "wow I'm taking these like a pussy today" then checked the speed and was taking all the corners about 20mph faster. Laughing

Has issues with fuelling below 3K, but this seems to be a known problem solved with a power commander. Seeing as 3k is about 20mph, makes riding in town a bit awkward.

Has some serious vibes between 4-6K, way more than the ER6 (and that's saying something).

Fairly noisy CCT, unsure whether its just classic Honda rattle or if it needs replacing. When I have a spare £100, I'll stick a MCCT in there anyway.

Pictures Mr. Green

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/plain1_zps26339cbb.jpg

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/Fireblade1_zps7fbb7f37.jpg

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/Fireblade2_zps5a39ef80.jpg

Charlie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:37 - 31 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you report is the same on my blade too, CCT is very noisy! Had it for about a month and love it, like you say handles lovely and loads of power, especially compared to my xt600 Exclamation

clancy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:57 - 01 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Smile did debate a 929 the other month because I saw a few lovely examples, if I'd of seen this I would definitely of got it!

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:09 - 01 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

clancy wrote:
Very nice Smile did debate a 929 the other month because I saw a few lovely examples, if I'd of seen this I would definitely of got it!

It was advertised for ages, I was worried it was gonna go before I could free the money up.

You still live in Weymouth? Thought I would have seen your bright yellow bike around, but I haven't before.

clancy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:11 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aff wrote:
clancy wrote:

It was advertised for ages, I was worried it was gonna go before I could free the money up.

You still live in Weymouth? Thought I would have seen your bright yellow bike around, but I haven't before.

That was lucky then, were did you get it from ?

Nah I moved to Plymouth a little while ago, only pop back to Weymouth occasionally. Shame I don't still live there would of loved to see this in person Thumbs Up

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:36 - 02 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

clancy wrote:

That was lucky then, were did you get it from ?

From Conquest Motorcycles in Wimborne. Really top bloke running the place.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 06 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything you NEED to know about 929-ers talk to ME!

1) Make sure that if your bike is an RRY, and an affected model, that they had the fork recall - stress corrosion cracking on the fork bottoms. Salty roads and applied loads don't go hand in hand if the material is susceptible.

2) Noisy CCT's. I had mine changed at 30k miles, no difference in noise! Still rattles like a 50 cal!

3) Fuelling - this ought to be #1 really. Sort it out with a PCIII. Without it, my bike used to hunt at partial throttle in 1st-3rd. Disconcerting in traffic when you don't get the throttle response you desire. 954's didn't have the issue since they had 2nd generation PGM-FI with the 32 bit ECU.

4) Reg rec/alternator - I needed my alternator rewound... twice. 3 reg rec's went! So, mitigation = connect your alternator and reg rec directly to your battery and bypass the bike's wiring loom! Also, upgrade your reg rec to a MOSFET R/R from an 09 R1 - there's a guy selling shindingen rectifiers from the states.

5) Electrical issues - Number 1 issue with my bike has always been electrical - earth faults etc. They WILL happen with a bike that age, and with it being FI, the ECU gets all retarded on you if sensors start failing.

But yeah, yours is a nice looking example. How many miles has it done?

I can't believe that I got mine for £2150 4 years ago when it had only done 13k (admittedly, I bought knowing it was CAT C... and bought it blind)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:30 - 07 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Tot,

I think I read every post you made before I stated looking at them, so cheers for that Laughing .

Fork recall was done, paperwork and everything. Very Happy

The CCT is pretty ridiculous sounding at certain revs, next month I will probably try changing it with a manual one to see if it makes a difference. Apparently it wont though, as the noise is more down to it having very thin cases.

I have a PCIII on its way from Italy as we speak. Very Happy

I did check the charging system before I bought it, everything seems good, but the '09 R1 mod was one I was looking to do.

I'm giving it a full service tomorrow so will give all the electricals a good going over, I think I may have the FPR fault as the idle is a bit erratic, MPG doesn't seem to be affected though so we shall see.

Its on 22k at the moment, has only done a few hundred miles in the last few years. Shocked

And £2150 is a crazy low price, I overpaid slightly, but it was so much tidier than anything else I saw.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:09 - 07 Jun 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erratic idle can often be cured by getting the throttle bodies synchronised. I had that issue at about 30k. Funnily enough, most of my issues started at 30-34k! Ageing eh!?

But yeah, I initially thought it was the power commander at first, you'd never trust the bike at 1/4 - 1/2 turn. Very rough running at tickover. But by the time I had the throttle bodies sync'd, it was running sweet as a but again.

Sickpup pointed me the direction of the MOSFET Reg Rec mod, so PM him for the details. I'd sort it sooner rather than later as a preventative measure, because by the time you realised that your reg/rec has failed, chances are that your charging system has already started playing up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:15 - 21 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a little (edit: long apparently) update, which will hopefully help anyone else experiencing similar problems.

Got to say, I'm loving the bike so far, even though I seem to have a new issue every week. Laughing

I will start with the inherent issue, crappy low down fueling. I bought myself a PCIII to see if it would smooth out the fueling below about 4k RPM, the maps available online seem to be a bit rubbish though, with massively swaying figures for very small hardware differences. For example, I don't believe that at 1/4 throttle and 5000RPM, a Leo Vince slip on needs 24% more fuel than an Akrapovic slip on.

So I chose the one with the most sensible looking adjustments (turned out to be micron + K&N) and done my own "seat of the pants" dyno over the period of a few months. I think I have got it pretty close now, with a much smoother bottom end and a noticeable increase in torque in the mid.

Talking about the mid range, that brings me nicely onto issue 2, the huge flat spot from 5 - 9K. I think I mentioned this when I first picked it up and how it felt slower than the ER6 when below about 7K. The bike was by no means slow and the flat spot still had loads of power, just noticeably less than the rest of the rev range, with a bit step of power at 9K.

I assumed that this was another fueling issue that would be solved when fitting the PCIII, but no amount of adjustment would get rid of it. I went over the bike checking everything it could be and found nothing, then one day when I was fixing a coolant leak (loose hose clamp down by the exhaust). While revving the engine, I noticed that the HTEV valve was moving down at 3K RPM and up at 8K RPM. I remembered reading somewhere that it should move up at 3K and down at 8K.

So at some point the exhaust or HVIX servo has been removed and the HTEV cables had been put on in reverse, I swapped them around and the powarr was back. Very Happy

So issue 3, fuel pump not priming/cutting off and dash going a bit crazy. This was an easy one, it looked like an earthing problem, and it was an earthing problem. Laughing
There is an earth on the back of the frame that gets covered in road crap, mine was just a blob of rust/salt, I cleaned it up and put a new bolt in and all was good.

Issue number 4 was by far the worst, it started off as what felt like a bad misfire when under light load, revs would jump down a few thousand RPM quickly every now and then but be fine for hundreds of miles in between.

It started getting worse, with it doing it 4-5 times in a row, but still very infrequent.

Then a few weeks ago it started doing it 20+ times in a row every time I gently accelerated. I assumed it was the coils but wanted to rule everything else out first as they are bloody expensive.

Now it was doing it more often it felt more like the ignition was being completely cut and bump starting over and over, backed up by the revs continually trying to drop to 0, was a bit scary around corners. Laughing

Anyway, it turned out to be the side stand switch, more accurately the side stand switches connection into the main harness. It sits just behind the engine about 5mm away from the frame. Now the frame on this bike gets very hot and it had melted the locking tab on the plug allowing it to slowly work its way out. I replaced it with an VAG wire locking plug and all has been well since.

Still have the erratic idle, which i think Tot is right about being the sync, but its not really causing any problems so its not worth ripping the bike apart to sort out.

I also still have the cam chain rattle. I have an APE manual tensioner sitting in the garage ready to fit. However I recently read that it isn't actually the cam chain rattling it is the tensioner itself. The normal design for an Automatic Cam Chain Tensioner is a spring pushing against a ratcheted plunger keeping the chain at an even tension, but apparently the one on the 929 does not have a ratchet and just relies on the spring pressure. This means that when running the plunger can back off a bit as the spring gets worn out and allows everything to rattle.

Apparently this can be fixed by removing the M6 plug on the back of the tensioner and fitting a long M6 bolt and a lock nut, tighten the bolt down untill it applies a small amount of pressure to the back of the spring then tighten the locknut, this should add enough preload to stop it rattling. I will try this soon and report back.

The Tot
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:29 - 22 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're great when they go wrong! Electrics are Honda's biggest bugbear!

Oh, do let me know when your speedo starts playing up! In my case, I checked the fuses, checked for any breaks in the headlight wiring loom and no joy!

Bransons Honda HAVE told me that it is an issue, I think to do with the EPROM chip flashing out. Some chap in Kings Lynn trading under the name of Scorpio Electronics administers a fix for £125.

Symptoms are erratic tach reading before heading to a complete blank set of digital displays. Your indicators and idiot lights will still work! Check out the guy's feedback on ebay and you'll find a dozen instances!

My clocks went dead on the way to the BCF BBQ! This time it turned out to be a shorted out cable in the loom which took out the fuse!

Lyam
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 06:51 - 22 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these the rectifiers? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REGULATOR-RECTIFIER-HONDA-CBR-VTR-VFR-RVF-250-400-500-600-900-1100-XX-SH633-12-/160916929702?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item2577657ca6

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:11 - 22 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyam wrote:

Nope that's a Chinese copy of the old Fireblades RR.

The part number for ours is 31600-MCJ-641.

They have 2 plugs. If yours has gone, I would look into doing the R1 RR mod.

Lyam
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 15:28 - 22 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mines is ok but ill be keeping the bike for a few years so just want to fix it before it goes, do the r1 rectifiers just plug in?

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:41 - 22 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lyam wrote:
mines is ok but ill be keeping the bike for a few years so just want to fix it before it goes, do the r1 rectifiers just plug in?

The 98-01 R1 RR is a popular swap and I know there is a converting loom you can buy for the 929 to make it a direct plug in (don't know if you can get this on the 954, they have a different connector). But these aren't MOSFET RR's so will fail eventually.

The 07+ R1's use a MOSFET RR so are very unlikely to fail. I don't know of any adapting loom available though so you would have to wire it in, but that is very easy.

CestrianX
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 18:36 - 22 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks the dogs...
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 217 days between these two posts...

Vennuth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 17:17 - 28 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tot wrote:
Anything you NEED to know about 929-ers talk to ME!

1) Make sure that if your bike is an RRY, and an affected model, that they had the fork recall - stress corrosion cracking on the fork bottoms. Salty roads and applied loads don't go hand in hand if the material is susceptible.

2) Noisy CCT's. I had mine changed at 30k miles, no difference in noise! Still rattles like a 50 cal!

3) Fuelling - this ought to be #1 really. Sort it out with a PCIII. Without it, my bike used to hunt at partial throttle in 1st-3rd. Disconcerting in traffic when you don't get the throttle response you desire. 954's didn't have the issue since they had 2nd generation PGM-FI with the 32 bit ECU.

4) Reg rec/alternator - I needed my alternator rewound... twice. 3 reg rec's went! So, mitigation = connect your alternator and reg rec directly to your battery and bypass the bike's wiring loom! Also, upgrade your reg rec to a MOSFET R/R from an 09 R1 - there's a guy selling shindingen rectifiers from the states.

5) Electrical issues - Number 1 issue with my bike has always been electrical - earth faults etc. They WILL happen with a bike that age, and with it being FI, the ECU gets all retarded on you if sensors start failing.

But yeah, yours is a nice looking example. How many miles has it done?

I can't believe that I got mine for £2150 4 years ago when it had only done 13k (admittedly, I bought knowing it was CAT C... and bought it blind)

Thanks for this info - I've just bought my first blade (a W-plate 929) yesterday so will follow this advice! How do I tell if it's an RR-Y model?

I also have a phantom sporadic issue - sometimes upon applying the front brake it sounds like a distant angle grinder is at work! Pads look fine from what I can see and it only happens randomly. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Rob

Vennuth
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 18:16 - 31 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess not...
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2