Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

£60 fines and CCTV crackdown on drivers who stop in bike box

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:32 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggs Benedict wrote:
I find it quite ridiculous that they even imagine that placing bicycles in a line across the front of traffic which is that much faster away than the average cyclist isn't going to cause more problems and possibly conflicts

The theory is:
The slower vehicle has as much priority to use the whole of the road as faster vehicles.

The idea, which you don't gel with, is for the faster vehicle operator to slow-the-fuck-down in town.

It is not, however, a means of controlling traffic flow/speed.

Motorists, Busists, Truckists, those White Vanists and motorbike/skooterists all need to screw the fuking nut live and let live is the gyst of it.

Holland implement a rulling where the vehicle with the more HP PAYS for any insurance claim in effect a car, no matter what the circumstance, will generally be blamed for the accident.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3451896.ece

Howard64180
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:38 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on, I've never driven in London (nor do I want to). But I do see what the point is here (right or wrong), to stop people habitually driving into the advance box. Yet the Highway Code states:

'Advanced stop lines. Some signal-controlled junctions have advanced stop lines to allow cycles to be positioned ahead of other traffic. Motorists, including motorcyclists, MUST stop at the first white line reached if the lights are amber or red and should avoid blocking the way or encroaching on the marked area at other times, e.g. if the junction ahead is blocked. If your vehicle has proceeded over the first white line at the time that the signal goes red, you MUST stop at the second white line, even if your vehicle is in the marked area. Allow cyclists time and space to move off when the green signal shows.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10, 36(1) & 43(2)'

So how are they going to differentiate between people who are driving into the box deliberately and others who may have been caught out by the traffic lights?

mysterious_rider
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand? Would cyclists want to be overtaken constantly by the same group of cars then? It's completely pointless giving them a head start, you will overtake a few minutes later, then hit more lights, they overtake you, and so on. Laughing

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:49 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard64180 wrote:
Hang on, I've never driven in London (nor do I want to). But I do see what the point is here (right or wrong), to stop people habitually driving into the advance box. Yet the Highway Code states:

'Advanced stop lines. Some signal-controlled junctions have advanced stop lines to allow cycles to be positioned ahead of other traffic. Motorists, including motorcyclists, MUST stop at the first white line reached if the lights are amber or red and should avoid blocking the way or encroaching on the marked area at other times, e.g. if the junction ahead is blocked. If your vehicle has proceeded over the first white line at the time that the signal goes red, you MUST stop at the second white line, even if your vehicle is in the marked area. Allow cyclists time and space to move off when the green signal shows.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10, 36(1) & 43(2)'

So how are they going to differentiate between people who are driving into the box deliberately and others who may have been caught out by the traffic lights?

I see taxi-ists and twats on motorbikes/ped/skooturs do it in Hull everyday I use the city roads.
Either they don't know the rules (as no fucker ever reads a highway code book after the pass) Or the rule is weakly enforced.
The worst of it is, there is absolutely zero advantage for a car/motorbike etc to be in that box. The issue is people behave like fucking animals as soon as the have an engine to push them along.
So actively hate to see another roaduser being in a space they would like to be in. Smile
I give loads of space to dudes on bicycles as I expect to be given the same when I'm on a pushbike. I will make space of course. Nothing wrong with slapping a car or gashing the bodywork with the cleats of a cycling shoe. Twisted Evil

It would not be too difficult for cameras to detect offenders. Based on the existing tech for red-light cameras.

Notj7
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:50 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is stupid. I sometimes deliberately go past these for the following reasons:

> After filtering to the front, I'm not in the blind spot of the car on my left - so they can see me clearly.

> When a typical complete CNUT in an audi / bmw stops way over the white line because he thinks he's all that in his shitty slow car, and I'm filtering, I need to move ahead of him so he can see me otherwise he'll probably hit me trying to set off.

Yet another way to get money from us.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

J7mbo wrote:
This is stupid. I sometimes deliberately go past these for the following reasons:

> After filtering to the front, I'm not in the blind spot of the car on my left - so they can see me clearly.

> When a typical complete CNUT in an audi / bmw stops way over the white line because he thinks he's all that in his shitty slow car, and I'm filtering, I need to move ahead of him so he can see me otherwise he'll probably hit me trying to set off.

Yet another way to get money from us.

What the fauk is this thing about folk in BMW/Audis?
Are they the only twats on the roads?

I drive BMWs and I never see another BMW/Audi driven anyway except perfectly and with tons of consideration for others. (in/on another BMW/Audi) Razz

You know your problem....? You haven't got a BMW/Audi.

Nah na na na na!

Very Happy
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair

Howard64180
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:57 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper, I think you missed my point. The second part of the rule states that you can and MUST stop in the marked area if necessary when caught out by a red light. Yet the cameras will just target everyone, not just 'fucking animals'.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 11:05 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see this being pretty nasty for motorcyclists, who will no doubt get targeted too as they tend to do it more than other 'plated road users.

So instead they will now have to wait between the cars, meaning you end up having a whole lane of bikes backed up in London.

Quote:
The worst of it is, there is absolutely zero advantage for a car/motorbike etc to be in that box.

Big advantage for a motorbike when there's traffic; it means you can place yourself in front of the traffic and not worry about getting side-swiped, as is the advantage for cyclists.
Also in London that let you through the long line of other bikes you've probably been holding up to gain the same advantage.

gorillaonabik...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 11:10 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is really annoying is minor traffic violations being cracked down on but the major stuff is ignored. Roll out the usual London examples:

I was hit head-on by a car driving on the wrong side of the road (while riding my motorbike). As I was on my back in the road, a police car drove past, totally ignoring me. The SoBs had to drive around the wreckage in the road. I made my own way to the hospital.

My father, an elderly pensioner, was run over by a hit-and-run driver who was breaking the law and a chartered surveyor took the registration of the vehicle concerned. The police sent the hit-and-run driver a letter. Surprisingly, the runaway driver did not take the time and trouble to write back and plod couldn't be bothered...

However, put a wheel in a bus lane and say goodbye to the contents of your wallet.

I know someone from Eastern Europe who always bought old clunkers with dubious registration plates. He would break every law under the sun but because the registration plates were not associated with him, he didn't care.

Fortunately, I ride a motorcycle in London so I avoid all the capital's money grabbing schemes. I know the free places to park, how to navigate around London etc... However, it is the lack of balance in the system which annoys. Tiny infraction - pay up. Major issue - no-one g!ves a sh!t. This is just another way to attack the innocent for miniscule infractions rather than criminals who break every law under the sun.
FZR400 (blown engine), ZXR750 (blown engine), ZX6R (accident), CBR600 which had engine issues after which I learned to change gear..., CBR900, CBR924 (stolen), CB600, CB1300 (everything blew up), BMW K1300GT (written off, hit from rear while stationary), Bandit 1250 for a couple of months, Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (nicked) and somewhere in there, I wrote off a Ducati 748 at Cadwell.

smithyithy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:22 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
Eggs Benedict wrote:
I find it quite ridiculous that they even imagine that placing bicycles in a line across the front of traffic which is that much faster away than the average cyclist isn't going to cause more problems and possibly conflicts

The theory is:
The slower vehicle has as much priority to use the whole of the road as faster vehicles.

The idea, which you don't gel with, is for the faster vehicle operator to slow-the-fuck-down in town.

It is not, however, a means of controlling traffic flow/speed.

Motorists, Busists, Truckists, those White Vanists and motorbike/skooterists all need to screw the fuking nut live and let live is the gyst of it.

Holland implement a rulling where the vehicle with the more HP PAYS for any insurance claim in effect a car, no matter what the circumstance, will generally be blamed for the accident.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public/cyclesafety/article3451896.ece

Technically true but it semed pretty dangerous when I saw a scooter limited to 30mph being overtaken by dozens of vehicles on a busy 60mph road..

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 12:36 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as push bikes in London go, it's unlikely to benefit cars to accelerate faster than the push bikes as it just means they'll just get to the next queue at a set of red lights quicker, while the push bikes are again filtering to the front.

LordShaftesbu...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motorbikes should be allowed in the boxes, in the same way they've been allowed in bus lanes.

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:53 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordShaftesbury wrote:
Motorbikes should be allowed in the boxes, in the same way they've been allowed in bus lanes.

Agreed. I'm willing to bet they won't though, since someone will look at the camera footage and notice it's mainly motorbikes doing this... and £ signs will flash in front of their eyes.

I'm pretty convinced the only reason they let us ride in bus lanes is because we can filter without having to use them, so they can't really make any money from us by not letting us use them.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:56 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
I give loads of space to dudes on bicycles as I expect to be given the same when I'm on a pushbike.

And it's great that you choose not to filter through any gap that a car wouldn't fit in.

Walloper wrote:
It would not be too difficult for cameras to detect offenders. Based on the existing tech for red-light cameras.

Maybe ayes, maybe noes. You can get done for putting your nose just over the line, so it might just be a case of triggering on the first line when the lights are red.

But as noted, it's perfectly lawful to be in the box, and here's a corker. What if you're completely lawfully in the box (perhaps just over the line) due to the lights changing, and then some clever dick squeezes in with you while they're showing red. Flash, you both get done?

Indeed, what if a pedalist triggers it as he bombs straight through both stop lines on red? Very Happy

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:59 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordShaftesbury wrote:

Have you seen how many bus lanes in London motorcyclists can still use? They are becoming extinct.

Notj7
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:00 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
I drive BMWs and I never see another BMW/Audi driven anyway except perfectly and with tons of consideration for others. (in/on another BMW/Audi) Razz

You know your problem....? You haven't got a BMW/Audi.

Nah na na na na!

Very Happy

The general attitude from these drivers is "I am better than you, because I have one" - hence you thinking it's a 'problem' that I haven't got a BMW/Audi.

If I could afford one, I still wouldn't get one, out of principle. They're everywhere these days - usually these are the drivers I see edging far over the line at the traffic lights with their arm on the window, like "IDGAF".

I wouldn't have to go so far forward if these guys didn't go so far forward - I aim to make myself seen and stay safe.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

J7mbo wrote:

Why do you simply HAVE to be right at the front? Sit between car no.1 and car no.2?

You are no better that the BMW/Audi drivers you seem to despise. You paint them as 'I have to be right at the front, I'm all that' characters and then rock up and think "I have to be right at the front, I'm all that". Confused

Notj7
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:04 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
J7mbo wrote:

Why do you simply HAVE to be right at the front? Sit between car no.1 and car no.2?

You are no better that the BMW/Audi drivers you seem to despise. You paint them as 'I have to be right at the front, I'm all that' characters and then rock up and think "I have to be right at the front, I'm all that". Confused

What? The point of filtering is.. go on? It's to get to the front. So I can set off without being in traffic. Nothing wrong with that, we all do it...

If I sit between 1 and 2 when there's barely any space, well.. tbh I don't know how to answer that - I just wouldn't?!

jonbee56
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:05 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no problem complying with the highway code...

BUT FIRST, Lets prosecute all of the cyclist jumping red lights, on the pavement, and pulling out blindly without looking, and make bicycle insurance mandatory because of the damage they do to other vehicles.

We are concentrating on introducing stupid laws blatently against legally trained road users, while protecting those who do not need any training or legal cover to use the same environment

Why doesn't this happen ? Oh yeah, we have an identifiable number plates.

Compulsory train any & all road users, prosecute those who blatantly flout the road laws (red lights jumpers ).

Until then, Boris, just shut the fuck up !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:13 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

J7mbo wrote:
What? The point of filtering is.. go on? It's to get to the front. So I can set off without being in traffic. Nothing wrong with that, we all do it...

If I sit between 1 and 2 when there's barely any space, well.. tbh I don't know how to answer that - I just wouldn't?!

You are a funny guy. No, you carry on. I will carry on failing at filtering as it appears it is only a success when you are no.1 at the lights.

Question, if the front of the queue has several motorbikes/bicycles/car sat far forward indicating right, blocking your way, what do you do?? Genuinely interested as I live in South London and rocking up at the front of every set of lights simply isn't an option. You place yourself between a couple of cars a few spaces back if need be, I'll soon pass the vehicles ahead once the lights turn green

Easter Bunny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:16 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

esullivan wrote:
As we know, getting to the front of the queue does increase safety. That's why we do it.

Only if you are quicker away than the traffic you've just positioned yourself in front of!

Easter Bunny
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:22 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
As far as push bikes in London go, it's unlikely to benefit cars to accelerate faster than the push bikes as it just means they'll just get to the next queue at a set of red lights quicker, while the push bikes are again filtering to the front.

You are of course thinking about seasoned cyclist that often are quite quick off the mark but often using this Boris bikes are people that are very slow, wobbly and generally should'nt be cycling on the road, I would vote whole heartedly for cycle lanes as long as its not the motorist that pays for them.

Notj7
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:35 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
You are a funny guy. No, you carry on. I will carry on failing at filtering as it appears it is only a success when you are no.1 at the lights.

Question, if the front of the queue has several motorbikes/bicycles/car sat far forward indicating right, blocking your way, what do you do?? Genuinely interested as I live in South London and rocking up at the front of every set of lights simply isn't an option. You place yourself between a couple of cars a few spaces back if need be, I'll soon pass the vehicles ahead once the lights turn green

The point of filtering is to advance progress, so if you want to judge yourself as having 'failed' because the lights turned green before you got to the front, so be it. Obviously, if the lights turn green while you're filtering you have to nudge yourself into any gap you can, while you can. {Tip: I don't filter when the lights might be going to green any time soon, although I know the lights on my commute to work so may be biased}.

If you'd been at the front of the queue before the lights turned green, you wouldn't have had to worry about that though, so it's always about making the safest and most logical choice when the situation occurs.

I'm always courteous to other road users - especially other bikers - if I filter to the front and there's another biker behind me doing the same, I move over to the left so that he can get in-front of the car as well. Likewise, I have had other bikers do that for me. You really don't want to be setting off exactly level with another vehicle.

The same goes for when I drive my car. If I see a biker or a cyclist, I move over a little and don't advance too far forward. It's clear the bike's significantly quicker than me. I don't go getting all defensive when this happens.

Then again, I haven't been around London on a bike so you're the one who has to deal with that every day - Preston is a major city, (albeit nothing on London), and I still filter to the front every day.

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:42 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, yeah er ok, I never mentioned not getting to the lights before they turn green but hey, nevermind, it probably all makes sense to you. Carry on, I can't be bothered anymore. Confused

Notj7
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:53 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
nevermind, it probably all makes sense to you.

Well, once I gained some experience, I try and pass that advice on..

Really, the point comes down to this, as G and others have said:

We filter to the front, not only to be safe, but also because we get ahead of the traffic. If you're at the front, you have less to worry about (sideswiping etc).

Sometimes cars move forward into this box, which prevents us from doing this (it's far more common for bikes to do it, for the above stated reasons). These drivers are either completely oblivious, or they just don't care. And in my experience, they tend to be bmw or audi drivers.

Back on topic though, they'll steal any money they can from us. This'll play hell with your London trips if they enact it.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 324 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6