Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

£60 fines and CCTV crackdown on drivers who stop in bike box

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:58 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

J7mbo wrote:
Sometimes cars move forward into this box, which prevents us from doing this (it's far more common for bikes to do it, for the above stated reasons). These drivers are either completely oblivious, or they just don't care. And in my experience, they tend to be bmw or audi drivers.

By jove I think we have a breakthrough. Last go, I promise.

Mr Audi has blocked you getting to the front. What do you do?

<crosses fingers that this is the one>

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:59 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard64180 wrote:
Walloper, I think you missed my point. The second part of the rule states that you can and MUST stop in the marked area if necessary when caught out by a red light. Yet the cameras will just target everyone, not just 'fucking animals'.

Au contraire mon ami.

I never missed Hee-Haw... You rather miss the point that the rule states: no vehicle i.e. anything other then a pedal cycle. is permitted to 'use' the box.
I have never ever been caught in the box. Smile I do this thing called forward observation for hazards and the green box is a hazard to motorised vehicles. Razz

Simply do not get caught in it.
It is not rocket surgery.

APNR Camera technology can easily determine What's in the box.
Although it may struggle with some motorbike/skooters.

I think if Captain Crap-out Boris has a hard-on for the Green Box issue then it will be down to the PoPo to report anyone they see doing it. Probably the popoman/woman with the most strikes gets a box of M&S Biscuits from the 'Luxury Selection'.

treeno
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:02 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eggs Benedict wrote:
G wrote:
As far as push bikes in London go, it's unlikely to benefit cars to accelerate faster than the push bikes as it just means they'll just get to the next queue at a set of red lights quicker, while the push bikes are again filtering to the front.

You are of course thinking about seasoned cyclist that often are quite quick off the mark but often using this Boris bikes are people that are very slow, wobbly and generally should'nt be cycling on the road, I would vote whole heartedly for cycle lanes as long as its not the motorist that pays for them.

Even if some cyclists are slower off the line than cars and motorbikes having a box is still the best way to go about it. As I said already the other option is to have them line up in the gutter adjacent to a ton of cars and pull away in a sometimes tiny space. I don't know if you cycle but I wear clip on shoes when I do and I need a bit of space to get my foot into the clips, not to mention the fact that bicycles, being lighter than motorbikes, are generally more wobbly when they set off.

London is a capital city, everywhere is 30mph and there are traffic lights every 100m. By far the safest option for everyone is to have the box so cyclists can gather at the front and then slot back into the cycle lane once traffic is moving. The extra couple of seconds it may take you to pull off the line will probably cost you no time in your overall journey and will most likely save you fuel.

Last edited by treeno on 14:04 - 30 May 2013; edited 1 time in total

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brighton has a lot of these boxes, I use them every day. I always filter, plus I dont want to be rear ended by a car, so its the safest place for a MC to be** and I will argue that if caught.

I know the HWC says we cant use them, however my motorised bicycle has two wheels and so does the picture in the box Smile

Ive also started taking advantage of "right turns first" traffic light junctions, bloody brilliant Very Happy

** except if you get away from the light too quickly and have a wobble, like my slide two weeks ago Shocked

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:03 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I am trying to get across is that why do people simply HAVE to be at the very front? If being a car or so further back is that much of a impedence to your journey then just set off on your journey earlier.

Go into a cycle box or cross the solid white line at a normal set of lights and you know you can give plod an easy pull. Same as entering hatched box knowing your exit isn't clear. I have junction CCTV at some junctions where I travel. I have one right outside my work that I know for a fact monitors a hatched box at a set of lights because a colleague was done by it.

Don't give people the bullets to shoot you with. I approach each and every set of lights and assess if I can sit comfortably at the front, if not, I slot myself in further back. Whether the plod can do you or the council, don't give them cause to do you.

Last edited by Minty on 14:05 - 30 May 2013; edited 1 time in total

Notj7
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:05 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
Last go, I promise.

Mr Audi has blocked you getting to the front. What do you do?

<crosses fingers that this is the one>

Sounds like you're having fun, brilliant, well done!

'Mr. Audi' has "blocked me getting to the front". I either:

1. Ride past him anyway, futher past the red light and in-front of him, and then when the light goes green I'm on my merry way, adding a +1 to the times that audi drivers do that.

2. Wait behind him until the light goes green, then wait until I can overtake him safely and do so.

Does that make sense to you? Would you like to talk about it some more? I would love to, but it's getting a little off-topic.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:06 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the other issue with lining up in the traffic is that it's generally on the left - causing problem when the cycles are going straight on and the motorised vehicles are going left.
Minty This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

Notj7
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:16 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
J7mbo wrote:
If I sit between 1 and 2 when there's barely any space, well.. tbh I don't know how to answer that - I just wouldn't?!

J7mbo wrote:
Wait behind him until the light goes green, then wait until I can overtake him safely and do so.

That's my point. There are times when being right at the front just isn't an option. Plan ahead and slot in somewhere further back.

Obviously this happens when I've poorly judged the situation and is a last option - which doesn't happen often. Clearly, you judge poorly more often than I do.

Also, don't be gay. Thanks.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:20 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minty wrote:
The point I am trying to get across is that why do people simply HAVE to be at the very front? If being a car or so further back is that much of a impedence to your journey then just set off on your journey earlier.

Considerably safer.
You accept that in some cases you may be in a little elevated danger, but given the chance I would put myself in the safer place every time.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:28 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Brighton has a lot of these boxes, I use them every day. I always filter, plus I dont want to be rear ended by a car, so its the safest place for a MC to be** and I will argue that if caught.

If you don't want to be rear ended then don't become ghey.

And if you refer to use of the road, if you don't want to be rear ended then do not be first in the queue.
If you wait at the back of the queue you will NOT be rear ended. Shocked

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:41 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

J7mbo wrote:
What? The point of filtering is.. go on? It's to get to the front. So I can set off without being in traffic. Nothing wrong with that, we all do it...

Except that it's illegal to pass the vehicle nearest to any light-controlled pedestrian crossing, but of course you know that.

You may be thinking of bicycles, to which that doesn't apply. That's why they have those boxes.

If you're not bothered about legality, and cross stop lines anyway, then why bother paying any attention to the lights? Just keep going on straight through the junction if it's safe to do so, like pedalists do.

It's really just a question of how likely you are to be caught for any of these offences.

Notj7
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:53 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Except that it's illegal to pass the vehicle nearest to any light-controlled pedestrian crossing, but of course you know that.

Of course, including those damned zig-zaggy lines, right?

Actually this morning this happened, and instead I pulled alongside the car (didn't overtake, I was level Wink ) and then overtook when the lights changed. - This doesn't happen often though.

Still, if a cop is an ass he'll pull you for it - some have done it without being pulled as most don't care. There was another thread somewhere recently on that anyway Smile

treeno
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:06 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether most of you will admit it or not, the main reason for getting to the front of the queue is to get where you're going faster, not to be safer. If you were oh so worried about safety you wouldn't filter in the first place (there's about as much chance of getting randomly sideswiped whilst filtering than there is of getting rear ended while stopped at lights).

I filter to the front all the time and the main reason is because I'm usually up to the speed limit a lot quicker than most cars. If I sit in the queue I will just get frustrated when they take an age to get going and inevitably go for an overtake which is probably more dangerous (and slower) than being at the front in the first place.

People are going to complain when another type of road user gets favoured in some way or another. Being on a biking forum, this thread is of course going to be biased.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 15:34 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

treeno wrote:
Whether most of you will admit it or not, the main reason for getting to the front of the queue is to get where you're going faster, not to be safer. If you were oh so worried about safety you wouldn't filter in the first place (there's about as much chance of getting randomly sideswiped whilst filtering than there is of getting rear ended while stopped at lights).

It doesn't massively affect speed, going to the car behind the first, or going infront of it - I'll be accelerating in front of it as quickly as possible anyway.
However, in my experience, when slotted in behind the first car or similar there is a lot higher chance of cars not giving you space (either in lane or between lanes), veering together and the like.

Riding between stationary cars in solid traffic tends to be pretty safe in my experience - pedestrians are likely the bigger danger.
Filtering when moving, which you're quite likely to be forced to do if you don't pull to the front, from a compromised position too, increases that danger.

Howard64180
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:38 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper, I am quite capable of planning ahead and not getting stuck in a green box Laughing The point is - as Rogerborg has pointed out - that someone could get a fine for acting within the law. The whole idea is flawed, which won't of course stop them doing it!

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:51 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard64180 wrote:
Walloper, I am quite capable of planning ahead and not getting stuck in a green box Laughing The point is - as Rogerborg has pointed out - that someone could get a fine for acting within the law. The whole idea is flawed, which won't of course stop them doing it!

I knew it would come to this. It invariably does. Rolling Eyes

Smile

There is another name for the green box.
It is called an Advanced Stop Line.

The clue is in the bit that says Advanced Stop Line.

What do you do at a traffic light when you see an Amber or a Red light? Stop at the white line. Not On it or over it but before it.

In the Advanced Stop Line 'system' The 'chalk line' yer no' meant tae cross on Amber or on Red is a few yards BEFORE the normal placing of the Stop line (Although there is still a 'Normally' positioned Stop line at the front of the green box)

Sooo consider the First line you meet on a Green Advanced Stop box as THEE Big Fat Stop the Bus line and don't cross it on Amber or on Red. And also don't creep over the line either.

There, honestly, is not much to debate on the way this system works.
The only thing being complained about is those who do't want to or refuse to obey the rules of the road.

It gets more and more like the Middle East or Romania in the UK every day.
Why don't you lot who don't want to follow our rules go live somewhere else?

Razz

Advanced stop lines. Some signal-controlled junctions have advanced stop lines to allow cycles to be positioned ahead of other traffic. Motorists, including motorcyclists, MUST stop at the first white line reached if the lights are amber or red and should avoid blocking the way or encroaching on the marked area at other times, e.g. if the junction ahead is blocked. If your vehicle has proceeded over the first white line at the time that the signal goes red, you MUST stop at the second white line, even if your vehicle is in the marked area. Allow cyclists time and space to move off when the green signal shows.
Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10, 36(1) & 43(2)

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 17:02 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, Nutsville has just pointed out that the legislation has a huge glaring SNAFU in it: it only allows pushbikes to cross the first stop line a via cycle lane or gate.

If they just ride over the line, they're committing exactly the same "offence" as motorised traffic. Laughing

Given how many of the them just ignore all road traffic legislation, I don't see that bothering them, but it might make selective enforcement a bit problematic.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:30 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Actually, Nutsville has just pointed out that the legislation has a huge glaring SNAFU in it: it only allows pushbikes to cross the first stop line a via cycle lane or gate.

If they just ride over the line, they're committing exactly the same "offence" as motorised traffic. Laughing

Given how many of the them just ignore all road traffic legislation, I don't see that bothering them, but it might make selective enforcement a bit problematic.

I never knew there was such a device as a 'Gate' to enter ASLs.
I know there are some Kamakarsie Cycle Lanes that force cyclists to 'filter' between traffic. The lane ends at the ASL box.

I do not see any mention of gate in the Highway Code rule 178 either where I would like to believe those on high who write the Bible of the road would include this very important point.
It may be some upstart looking for a get out when there isn't any 'reasonable' get it to get out of. The Highway Code mentions 'Cyclists ahead of 'other' traffic' I can't see any ambiguity in that.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/schedule/6/made

I agree with what the olympic cyclist said that since cyclist are expecting other road user to help cyclists, and I think MOST other road user do, so cyclist should show some better respect for the rules WE have to follw where they ride in contempt for them.
Bastirts... Mad

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:47 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:

Advanced stop lines. Some signal-controlled junctions have advanced stop lines to allow cycles to be positioned ahead of other traffic. Motorists, including motorcyclists, MUST stop at the first white line reached if the lights are amber or red and should avoid blocking the way or encroaching on the marked area at other times, e.g. if the junction ahead is blocked. If your vehicle has proceeded over the first white line at the time that the signal goes red, you MUST stop at the second white line, even if your vehicle is in the marked area. Allow cyclists time and space to move off when the green signal shows.

So. You could be stopped in the box and still have complied with the HC (don't have time to look up chapter an verse just now) if the light went red as you crossed the first stop line.

On that basis, an image of you stopped in the advance stop area wouldn't be good enough, they'd have to provide either a dynamic image or a timestamped image of your vehicle behind the first stop light with the lights on red AND one of your vehicle in the advance area immediately afterwards.

The way I read that, stopping in the advance stop area isn't illegal as long as the light was on the transition from green to amber when you crossed the first line. So that's going to happen oh, once every traffic light cycle in slow moving traffic then. There will always be one car that could legitimately have stopped in the box.

So they'll need to alter the highway code if they want to do this as while it isn't the law, it is the de facto official government guide on how to drive.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:11 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Walloper wrote:

So. You could be stopped in the box and still have complied with the HC (don't have time to look up chapter an verse just now) if the light went red as you crossed the first stop line.

On that basis, an image of you stopped in the advance stop area wouldn't be good enough, they'd have to provide either a dynamic image or a timestamped image of your vehicle behind the first stop light with the lights on red AND one of your vehicle in the advance area immediately afterwards.

The way I read that, stopping in the advance stop area isn't illegal as long as the light was on the transition from green to amber when you crossed the first line. So that's going to happen oh, once every traffic light cycle in slow moving traffic then. There will always be one car that could legitimately have stopped in the box.

So they'll need to alter the highway code if they want to do this as while it isn't the law, it is the de facto official government guide on how to drive.

Without getting my knickers in a twist over it as it's late here (and I'm bursting/touching cloth) The whole deal was maybe runnig before they could walk. If we rely on good will to all men and the spirit of kindness, it is not reeeeealy such a hardship to allow pedalists to get w wee bit infront.
Traffic moves too fast in towns as accident statistics show. More people more traffic etc.

As I said I have Never been caught on the green box.
I have never been caught crossing the line on red either.
It is simply bad planning.
A driver should anticipate where his vehicle will be at the point the lights change. If you can see the lights are going to change before you can exit the ASL then do not cross the line.
It is a bit like a level crossing only people who gamble with those are thinned/spread out regularly enough. Most folk know how a box junction works It is not nuclear physics, but there are a load of cnuts who refuse to understand or are too fcuking dopey to work out how their stupidity affects traffic flow.

It is not my rule but I know how it works. If they don't know the princple/spirit of the rules of the road then I don't think they should be driving/riding/cycling.

If people were to read the HC every now and then It is an important book/pamphlet, then perhaps behaviour on our roads would improve a little.

But most probably CBA to do so.

gorillaonabik...
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 19:49 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The safety issue is significant and maybe non-Londoners are unaware of the issue. Would you prefer to be sandwiched between two cars / buses / lorries whose drivers are unlikely to have seen you or slip through to the front of the queue, visible?

Given the choice of 'more likely to die,' or 'less likely to die,' I know which option I'd prefer.

I also cycle in London occasionally and don't see why my life should be made safer when on a bicycle and yet made more dangerous on a motorbike. I think that bicycles and PTWs sharing the box could work. Hell, it does at the moment and I have personally never heard of an accident involving a motorbike and bicycle due to their sharing of the green box.
FZR400 (blown engine), ZXR750 (blown engine), ZX6R (accident), CBR600 which had engine issues after which I learned to change gear..., CBR900, CBR924 (stolen), CB600, CB1300 (everything blew up), BMW K1300GT (written off, hit from rear while stationary), Bandit 1250 for a couple of months, Triumph Sprint ST 1050 (nicked) and somewhere in there, I wrote off a Ducati 748 at Cadwell.

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:52 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any discretion possible if you are avoiding an accident? How does this work in the event of crossing the line as it is?

For example, if I'm driving along on green, and suddenly someone flies out in front of me, causing me to stop halfway over the line - and then the light turns red, could I be penalised by red light cameras?

Minty
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fairly sure red light cameras work on motion akin to a speed camera. So if you are stationary as the lights phase to red you will be fine.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:26 - 30 May 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. ITT lots of people labouring under the misaprehension it's illegal to stop your car between the two lines on an advanced cycle stop.

Chapter and verse for Roger:
Traffic signs, regulations and general Directions 2002. SI:3113 Section 43:

Quote:
(2) Where the road marking shown in diagram 1001.2 has been placed in conjunction with light signals, “stop line” in relation to those light signals means—
(a)the first stop line, in the case of a vehicle (other than a pedal cycle proceeding in the cycle lane) which has not proceeded beyond that line; or
(b)the second stop line, in the case of a vehicle which has proceeded beyond the first stop line or of a pedal cycle proceeding in the cycle lane.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/images/uksi_20023113_en_112.gif

and Section 36 (1) defines what to do at the stop line.

Yawn.

I'll pick out the pertinant bits:

Section 36(1) wrote:
(e)the amber signal shall, when shown alone, convey the same prohibition as the red signal, except that, as respects any vehicle which is so close to the stop line that it cannot safely be stopped without proceeding beyond the stop line, it shall convey the same indication as the green signal or green arrow signal which was shown immediately before it;

section 43(2) wrote:
“stop line” in relation to those light signals means— <snip>
(b)the second stop line, in the case of a vehicle which has proceeded beyond the first stop line

The law specifically allows you to stop between the first and second stop lines. You can cross the first stop line on green or on amber if you're too close to "safely stop" but should then stop at the second one if it's now red.

It would only be illegal to be stopped between the two lines if you crossed the first stop line when the light was on red or if it changed to amber when you were far enough away to "safely stop" (nice and vague huh?).

Not going to get far on this one without passing an act of parliament making it illegal to stop between the two stop lines. It's not illegal now as long as you didn't cross the first line on a red.

I wonder if Boris has been made aware of the actual law as opposed to what people think is the law? Shouldn't he have people for this kind of thing?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6