BCF: Bike Chat Forums

RC Stuff

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 11:19 - 09 Jul 2013    Post subject: RC Stuff Reply with quote

I have two silverlit RC bikes, the superbikes where the guy actually moves on the bike. They’re great fun in this weather.
I fancy something a little different so was looking at Planes. On a budget, what would be a decent plane to get started with? I'm not really looking at petrol planes, just want something that won’t drop out of the sky.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wilz1234
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:43 - 09 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start with something cheap to learn on. They break very easily. Are you looking for something that's ready to fly out of the box, or something a bit more high tech, using you're own choice of radio equipment, motors etc?

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 12:26 - 09 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ready to fly. Just want something that isn't hobby level i guess but won't break first crash landing. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:31 - 09 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with a Parkzone. If you want to get 'into' it properly, I'd suggest a 4ch plane.

Parkzone seem to make decent flying RC planes for about £100 ish.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 09 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fly RC planes and Helis - if you invest in a sim and can consistently take-off and land, you'll be ready to fly a real model successfully.

I have Phoenix and RealFlight, both are pretty good (you can use a PS3 controller if you don't have a TX to use, downside is the sprung throttle but you can still get a good feel for it) - there are some OK freebie simulators out there too.

https://www.phoenix-sim.com/
or
https://www.realflight.com/

As Marjay said, Parkzone make some fun little machines.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 15:07 - 09 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that kind of thing from £80 looks fine. Something that is just plug and play. Thumbs Up

I've been looking into getting some bits for my Anderson M5 bike but i'm a little confused by some terminology.
The ESC (speed control) on my will change when i upgrade it but i don't know what connectors go on a lipo battery. So i don't know if they'll fit.
I called the model shop from the website and the guy had an accent i could hardly understand! Laughing

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:29 - 09 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silverlit themselves do a couple if you are happy with what you have seen from them so far? Obviously there planes are more based at the cheap end of the scale but it would be something that you could have a go with.

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:52 - 09 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're doing park flying on your own as opposed to with a club, then you can't go wrong with a powered glider. It flies slower, it's designed to land with the engine off, there's no undercarriage to get ripped off etc.

There should be plenty of thermals around at the mo to lift it to silly dot flying heights. Gliders may not be as much fun as some low flying faster thing, but be aware the latter will be the biggest moron magnet around (electric far less so than glow/diesel), and even the most non-chav kids can be irritating at times.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 16:19 - 09 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

killa wrote:
Yeah that kind of thing from £80 looks fine. Something that is just plug and play. Thumbs Up

I've been looking into getting some bits for my Anderson M5 bike but i'm a little confused by some terminology.
The ESC (speed control) on my will change when i upgrade it but i don't know what connectors go on a lipo battery. So i don't know if they'll fit.
I called the model shop from the website and the guy had an accent i could hardly understand! Laughing

Bear in mind the £80 ones come without a transmitter. You need to look at the £110ish Ready To Fly range, and as mentioned it ideally needs to be 4ch otherwise it won't teach you a lot about flying model aeroplanes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 09 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Bear in mind the £80 ones come without a transmitter. You need to look at the £110ish Ready To Fly range, and as mentioned it ideally needs to be 4ch otherwise it won't teach you a lot about flying model aeroplanes.

For a starter plane for a noob? Rudder, elevator, throttle with a decent amount of dihedral will do. 3 channels will even do for some fun with aileron, elevator, throttle later on. It's not a heli. Co-ordinating turns and steerable nosewheels aren't essential for a beginner.

If he wants to go serious he could buy some separate 4+ channel gear or whatever Tx/Rx combo he wants later

charlie_a
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:13 - 09 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

What goto10 said about simulators. There are some fairly good free ones for Android like this.

Probably some on iOS too.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 08:43 - 10 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christ!....went into the model shop last night. I don’t think I’m going to be getting a plane as well as modifying my Anderson.
The charger alone is £45 and I’ve already got one but it doesn’t charge Lipo’s.
Lipo batteries are £45-50 and then you have to make sure your speed controller fits the connectors because if they don’t it butcher time, or you have to buy a new speed controller.
This hobby stuff is expensive! Ideally I wanted some better performance but it seems you can’t really buy one item without the other. Confused

ThoughtContro...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 10 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use some decent NimHs then, and and old school Speed 400 or similar cheapo motor, through a cheapo gearbox if you can find one. Make do with what you'e already got where possible. Cobble yourself together a balsa box design, with a Jedelsky wing for rapid build. Fairly sensible nose and tail moments and areas and aspect ratio. 5 degrees dihedral under each wingtip for a Rudder/Ele setup, CG about 25-30% back from the LE. Flying can be done on a budget if you really want to get into it. Small stuff usually costs less and tends to bounce rather than crash.

As has been said get some sim time under your belt first. The crashing costs nowt there, and you will learn to crash (and make repairs) before you learn to fly properly anyway . It's all good fun.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:36 - 10 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

1/5 scale is fun. Mr. Green

wodge
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 17:17 - 10 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try first with an electric, they are far better than they used to be. Get a polystyrene trainer like an "fms 800 trainer" as its 4 channel the controls are like a traditional aircraft and its propeller is rear facing so WHEN you smash it into the ground it is less likely to break . cost 100 quid with remote...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FMS-Easy-Trainer-800-mm-Wingspan-RTF-2-4GHz-Radio-/140992618921?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item20d3d0a1a9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QazgrcU2RxI

The more an RC plane looks like a "real" plane the harder it is to fly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BAC-Jet-Provost-MK5-Aircraft-JP5A-Jet-Trainer-ex-RAF-Very-complete-with-engine-/130859467927?pt=UK_CPV_Aviation_SM&hash=item1e77d50497

Also get a USB remote like this..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RealityCraft-RC-Flight-Sim-Simulator-With-USB-Controller-Software-Heli-Plane-/230836700844?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&var=&hash=item35bef086ac

To practice with on your PC before smashing real planes into the ground.. Smile Flying RC planes is like learning to ride a bike.. you learn from your mistakes.....
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 264 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1