Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I thought I'd try pitbike supermoto.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:59 - 17 Jul 2013    Post subject: I thought I'd try pitbike supermoto. Reply with quote

And I thought I might as well put a little write up on here for anyone that is interested.

It's cheap for racing. Matchams is £40 for race day which is 2 x 15min warm up / practices and 4 x races. The series I have just dipped my toe into has fairly strict regs to keep costs down. Control tyre, standard 140 engines, C90 exhaust, rear shock maximum of £140rrp etc.

You can pick up a 2nd hand bike for about £500 ready to race. I paid slightly more and bought new because I wanted to build it.

I'm only doing this for fun, I don't see it as serious racing, good hobby though and some of the riders are bloody quick!!

First race I had to start from the back of the grid (10th this time, normally more bikes so I'm told) as I haven't got a transponder yet. Not much to report, I was being a little held up by another rider but that's my own fault for not being aggressive enough. It took me about 8 laps to get past, I picked up a couple more places and finished 7th.

Second race I got my act together a little bit more, still had to start from the back of the grid though. I passed the previous mentioned rider on lap two with a bit more aggression, and seemed to be going a lot better than race 1, I could run the same sort of times as those in 3/4/5th. I got 5th place, but then went very sideways into a corner, put the power on again and I'd got a puncture, which explained it!

Game over, but I know with a few tweaks to the bike (decent rear shock) and a lot more track time to figure out lines etc I can be much quicker. Still fairly pleased that I improved from how I started, but there's got to be more to come!

Few pics.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-1n60tPm4z9E/UeQIntDNrPI/AAAAAAAACzs/fHz0mPz1tsg/s720/IMG_6411.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-Sdm2jbonBao/UeQJSzuXLOI/AAAAAAAAC5U/yxh3dw90obc/s640/IMG_6641.JPG

and plotting an overtake, I actually went down one too many gears and used the back brake = slidey slidey Laughing

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Xfm0ipeYASs/UeQJNRMXnpI/AAAAAAAAC4k/EOz2po6UlzY/s720/IMG_6629.JPG

Edit: one from a different circuit, where I was having a better day, more on the pace - lean angle looks a tad more!

https://oi42.tinypic.com/dfap1h.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Conzar
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:31 - 17 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

HMMM looks a lot of fun, might have to try this!
11:05:35 Rob Fzs: i just wanna own an rd350 valve before they send us to war with durkadurkastan

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 16:20 - 17 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Odd question; how much pressure do you get on your wrists?
I seem to have knackered wrists, which causes me problems off roading and big-bike track riding.
While they weren't great for karting, were fine for minimoto. I suspect I'll also have problems on a pit bike, but hoping it might be ok.

Have they get a forum etc where you see the bikes in that series for sale? If I got one (way, way too broke this second), was looking at one of the more restricted 140 class bikes - just for maintenance if nothing else!

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:30 - 17 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Nice!

Odd question; how much pressure do you get on your wrists?
I seem to have knackered wrists, which causes me problems off roading and big-bike track riding.
While they weren't great for karting, were fine for minimoto. I suspect I'll also have problems on a pit bike, but hoping it might be ok.

Have they get a forum etc where you see the bikes in that series for sale? If I got one (way, way too broke this second), was looking at one of the more restricted 140 class bikes - just for maintenance if nothing else!

I've not noticed any wrist pressure - I do have higher handlebars than most, though. My thought behind that was (after bending the originals) that the CRF50 sized bikes are already small, and I'm 6'1 or so, I didn't want it to be cramped.

There's the pit bike forum, although I tend not to go on there, there is a for sale section. There's also the Matchams pit bike facebook page where they crop up for sale. Or good old ebay. Can't do anything at all to the engines in these regs which is good, keeps the cost down.

I'm still very much a novice but any other questions, fire away!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

shereen
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 17 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fun! How fast do those things go?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 18 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

shereen wrote:
Looks fun! How fast do those things go?

Depends on gearing so couldn't say. As is, 50ish? But would pull higher gearing. Go kart tracks are tight though - so no point in changing!

Deano
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 18 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

no wrist pressure G, look at the bars there almost shoulder height in the pics. there not physical at all to ride so you concentrate more on the riding, I was doing 50 lap stints whilst fat and didn't work up a sweat at all.
Dean Stone #777
EMRA 2012 final standings, Formula 600s 3rd, Superstock 600s 3rd.
www.triplesevenracing.co.uk: www.ljmotorcyclerepairs.co.uk www.gettaylored.co.uk BN RaceScience, Now officially run out of money to carry on racing Sad

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 17:23 - 18 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think minimoto was good because my arms were at such a different angle - and thus you don't really use your arms when braking.

On big track bikes I tried to make a point of gripping the tank with my knees, but even extended slightly enthusiastic road riding in the last couple of years has caused me problems Sad.

Will have to give them a go at some point, still.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 05:10 - 19 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conzar wrote:
HMMM looks a lot of fun, might have to try this!

Seconded. Timehsare?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 19 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deano wrote:
no wrist pressure G, look at the bars there almost shoulder height in the pics. there not physical at all to ride so you concentrate more on the riding, I was doing 50 lap stints whilst fat and didn't work up a sweat at all.

It was 30 degrees + in those pics I was sweating my tits off!

Mind you I'm not that fit at the moment, that's on the to do list when I'm back from holiday, get cycling and things again.

D O G
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:07 - 19 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:
get cycling and things again.

Hit me up, bitch, I'll take you round the world.

Well, maybe up and down some hills in the local vicinity.

suburban myth
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 05:31 - 21 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know of any venues in the midlands, specifically Nottingham-ish where there's a league/bikes for hire?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 19 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd give this an update, the day after my second race weekend and I'm a bit achey...!

This time was the first time I'd had a transponder, and what a difference it makes for tracking your progress.

First 15 min qually session I was a bit rusty having not touched the bike in a month, I qualified 8th out of 13 with a 45.3 second lap, which was a little slow, but not so bad. The grid ranges from absolute lap record of a 39.something to 48s, really. The two that can do 39s are BSB/BSS riders, so silly fast. The general time for third is around 41, I reckon. That's my aim.

Second qually I improved by 0.9 to get a 44.4 second lap, but so did everyone else and I was lower down the grid, 9th! I fell off in this session, only a low side, nothing bad.

First race, disaster. Third corner, held my position, lowside. Back end just came round, cold tyres. Sat in the middle of the track, bikes flying towards me, stone cold last. Got back on, finished 9th, lap time improved. 43.7.

Second race, bit of a lonely one. Improving again, 43.3.

Third race, good one this one. Couldn't quite latch on to the two people in front of me, they had a little more pace, but I really was trying. Improved again, 43.1. Quite pleased in this race, I did 8 laps in a row within 0.4 of each other.

Last race - The final. I managed to catch and pass the two people I was struggling to keep up with the previous race, I started 8th and finished 5th with a 42.9.

Chuffed I got in to the 42s, though there is more to come.

The problem I have is I'm still running bog standard suspension. Everyone else has reworked forks and fancy rear shocks. When I change direction my front wheel comes up in teh air, and it rebounds as fast as it compresses. Next on the list is a DNM rear shock, thicker oil and spacers in the front forks, then I'll see if I can break the 41s and get closer to the podium.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 09:54 - 19 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice results Thumbs Up.... now it gets expensive Smile.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:53 - 19 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Nice results Thumbs Up.... now it gets expensive Smile.

£140 for a rear shock, £10 for some fork oil, after that there's not a whole lot more I can do to improve the bike, really. Going to lower my risers a little, might get a twin pot caliper on the front as my brakes are a bit limp, but the rest is down to me!

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:47 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might as well update this again. Third attempt was on Sunday. I qualified 4th for race one, changed some settings and went slower, 6th for race 2. Fell off in the second qualifying, landed pretty heavy and my arse hurts now. Melted and scuffed my new bright yellow plastics and mullered the heat wrap.

Race one I got a good start and I was holding 3rd for the first 3 or so laps, but I then got passed and held and finished fourth. Not too bad. 42.7, but the track wasn't as grippy as last time. Less than a second from the podium, but I still need to lose a second. Pretty confident I can do that with more track time.

Race 2 I got a shit start and something didn't sound right. Third corner the chain jumped off the sprockets and jammed the wheel up. Turns out the bearings had collapsed in the rear wheel. Game over, meh, that's racing.

I haven't really played with the suspension settings yet so think I might book a practice day once I've repaired it.

daffy
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 20:21 - 20 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks fun and cheap, which tracks do they race on?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 23 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

daffy wrote:
looks fun and cheap, which tracks do they race on?

Where are you based?

Matchams and Angmering is where I go. There are more up north, whilton mill, stretton, blah blah blah, I chose this as there were local tracks to me (Southampton).

SteveZZR
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 11:21 - 25 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been poked this way as a cheap form of racing and must say I fancy a go already!!

You got a link for more info?

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:38 - 25 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://matchamspitbikeseries.co.uk/

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:26 - 27 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...now your riding to the limit of the bike....nice learning curve by the lap times so far.......your sorting the suspension......you really are learning and doing it the right way...but now your ready for an extra couple of easy bhp Smile seems you already got the riders bit between aggression and smooth lap times sorted so now the battle starts......mostly with a bit of heat wrap and some new plastics ...a tatty race winner always looks cool by the way Wink. I always prefer function over form anyhow!

Red Devil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:00 - 22 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you still doing this mate? Looking to get involved myself this year between race rounds.
Thundersport Pre-National Sport 600 2014 #92
EMRA Roadstock 600 2013 - 3rd
www.facebook.com/MattJohnstonRacing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1