Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Stoner testing for Honda

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:34 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Stoner testing for Honda Reply with quote

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sport/sportresults/MotoGP/2013/July/jul2213-stoner-to-test-factory-honda/

Interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 17:04 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best not bloody be. Hate the whinging aussie pratt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was Stoner known as a rider who gave good feedback to the engineers?

I remember him in practice and qualifying. He never did long runs, and often sat out of sessions until the last minute.
Maybe Nakamoto just misses his witty repartee.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Hyaon
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 21:27 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

He will not come back to Ducati or Honda, he hates them. I'd say Suzuki as a wild guess.

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:55 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no idea if he's a great development rider but he's one of a few guys that can ride the bike at the same pace as Pedrosa and Marquez which is the only way they can get the data they need.

Why does he hate honda? Confused I thought he was just fed up of Moto GP/being a motorbike racer, not anything personally against Honda.

CaNsA
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:19 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

HT wrote:

Nopes, he just rode around the problems.
Hence the state of the bike when the next guy got on it...

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:21 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Exactly.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:30 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe but then it's not like any other rider has really moved the Ducati on.
Rossi is supposed to be like some kind of bike development god yet made no progress with the duke in two years.
I don't think Stoner was really being allowed to develop it freely either as the teams attitude seemed to be that the bike is fine, Casey can win on it we just need to find another rider that can do the same.

Slacker24seve...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:44 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaNsA wrote:
HT wrote:

Nopes, he just rode around the problems.
Hence the state of the bike when the next guy got on it...

And he had a tyre made specifically to make that bike work.

I'm not disagreeing with you but it's worth mentioning.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 22 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Ducati chassis doesn't know what the hell it is. It's been long..short..part carbon..all carbon...Now it's trying to be Japanese. But it's the last 10%..That's the bit that's missing. The final 10% that only a rider who can take his brain out just before getting on can achieve.
I see that 10% in Marquez, Crutchlow and recently in Bradl (funny that..come contract time). Put young Rossi on it..on anything vaguely competitive, and I suspect it would be at the sharp end.

mr jamez
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:17 - 23 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Best not bloody be. Hate the whinging aussie pratt.

Reading him whine about his V8 'career' reminds me why I don't miss him. It sounds like the other drivers are giving him a hard time on track Thumbs Up

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:22 - 23 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to see Marquez ride against Stoner. He wouldn't like the passing though, the aggressiveness, the, uh, oh yeah, racing.

Hyaon
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 15:40 - 23 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Casey Stoner is already pushing buttons in the V8 Supercars paddock ahead of his hotly-tipped four-wheel switch next year.

The double MotoGP champ was critical of Ford driver Mark Winterbottom's on-track tactics during Sunday's final race at Abu Dhabi.

During a battle with James Moffat, the Ford Performance Racing pilot went off the track to make a pass on the Norton Falcon.

Stoner, who hung out in the TeamVodafone garage through the weekend as he did at Sandown and Bathurst, took to Twitter with his view on the move.

That move seems familiar Thinking

Quote:
"Unfortunately I have spent very brief moments inside the top 10 and I have had to battle my way through. Perth was hard with drivers blocking, once, twice and three times. It is impossible to pass them like that and we struggled to move forward in Perth."

Marquez and Rossi would destroy him with their mind games..

Fowlersrs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 25 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honda has now confirmed he's testing the bikes at Motegi, if he gets the bug I think he will be back which will be ace for GP fireworks. He won't walk it anymore, Marquez will be a force next year

karoshi
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:29 - 26 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al wrote:
Maybe but then it's not like any other rider has really moved the Ducati on.
Rossi is supposed to be like some kind of bike development god yet made no progress with the duke in two years.
I don't think Stoner was really being allowed to develop it freely either as the teams attitude seemed to be that the bike is fine, Casey can win on it we just need to find another rider that can do the same.

Stoner did such a 'good' job at Ducati that they got complacent about trying to improve the bike. the fact that Stoner would use his talent to ride around the issues whilst saying the bike is fine was just what the factory wanted, they didn't have the funding to develop at the same pace as honda & yamaha.

This has lead to two things:

1. Only someone with the riding style that Stoner has can ride it, and then only win on it with the benefit of custom tyres.. Any rider that is used to working with a team to steadily improve / alter the bike into a winner is screwed.. Melandri, Hayden, Dovisioso - all good development riders, all screwed, even Rossi & Burgess couldn't make progress because:

2. The aftermath of Stoner is that Ducati are at the very least unwilling to increase the development effort internally because "Well it worked for Stoner", and even if they did - and even with Audi's backing - they can't compete in the development race against Honda & Yamaha.

Two quotes I heard during the Sachsenring weekend, one from Johnny Rea saying that in the honda factory team there isn't a race weekend that goes by without something new appearing for the bike. Even if it's only a small part they're still working, refining and designing all the time - it takes Ducati 6 months to bring a new part out, and when they do it doesn't help.

The other quote I picked up on was one of the Eurosport commentators (Toby Moody I think) saying that after Iannone managed to flat-pack his Ducati in practice he walked past him and Iannone looked "spooked", the inference being he didn't know what he'd done to cause the crash.

There are serious problems with the Ducati bike, they had two years with Rossi & Burgess working to further the development and for whatever reason Ducati couldn't work it out, or couldn't step up, if there were any signs that they were going to get better I think Rossi would've stayed with them this year.

And Honda are bringing in Stoner to test their bike? what do you think they'll get from the three laps he'll bother to do before saying "it's fine"? - media coverage. nothing else.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 13:49 - 26 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

karoshi wrote:
And Honda are bringing in Stoner to test their bike? what do you think they'll get from the three laps he'll bother to do before saying "it's fine"? - media coverage. nothing else.

My feeling is that he got roundly trounced by the bigger boys in V8 touring cars and now he wants a way back to a factory ride.

karoshi
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:15 - 26 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
My feeling is that he got roundly trounced by the bigger boys in V8 touring cars and now he wants a way back to a factory ride.

very likely, he was an amazing raw talent rider, it's such a shame that he's also a whining miserable git.

I just can't see Repsol Honda giving him a factory ride back though? Marquez is the same kind of talented rider and Pedrosa must be providing the team's quota of miserable.. and he at least appears to be able to communicate something worthwhile to the engineers.

Unless Honda are confident that Marquez can lead on development and they're looking to bin off Pedrosa before they end up having to sweep him up with a dustpan?

Can't see Stoner accepting a Gressini ride even if it's a factory bike underneath the paint either.

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:54 - 26 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stoner only drove in the Dunlop V8 series which is the second tier of V8's, a bit like Moto2 or GP2 so I think it was only for a bit of fun and to see how things went. I doubt he expected to go there and dominate.

I think the HRC test is probably more of a publicity thing. I read that the normal test rider is injured so why not get some feedback from a former winner on the bike and if nothing else a load of publicity for both of them.

karoshi
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:39 - 26 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious:

https://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/108975
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 276 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1