Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Motorcycle hire benidorm

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration
View previous topic : View next topic  

rhys1005
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 23:06 - 27 Jul 2013    Post subject: Motorcycle hire benidorm Reply with quote

Hi bcf i'm going benidorm with the family in 2 months and my dad suggested i hire a motorcycle out there for a few days as last time we went, there were sone amazing roads and i kept saying how awesome it would be to ride a motorcycle on such roads.

I thought it was a good idea untill i realised it wouldn't be possible to hire one because i'm 18 and i don't have a full license yet D: I've been riding 2 years though and i have a 125 license but i missed the janaury cut off point. Spoke to my mate today and he reckons that they dont give a shit about having a full license aslong as you hand over a large deposit and passport/ID.

What do you guys reckon? I would be confident on a larger capacity bike abroad but obviously without a license theres no way to prove to them that i'm capable, think they will just take the money/ID and send me on my way or laugh me out the shop? I have full textiles and helmet that i would bring and would buy a lock and chain out there.
Last time i went there i went on a quad trip which was largley roads and i was only 14 think the quad was a 350cc so they seem pretty chill.

If worse comes to worse i could hire a quad instead Shocked Crying or Very sad

Efes123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:42 - 28 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, Not saying don't do it (if it's possible), but just think:
    You're riding a bike you're unfamiliar with
    You're riding a cc you have no experience with
    On roads you're unfamiliar with

All with no license. Apart from whether it's sensible or not, if the worst happens and the coppers get involved, they will be interested in your lack of license. Is it really worth it?

rhys1005
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 10:25 - 28 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Efes123 wrote:
Mmm, Not saying don't do it (if it's possible), but just think:
    You're riding a bike you're unfamiliar with
    You're riding a cc you have no experience with
    On roads you're unfamiliar with

All with no license. Apart from whether it's sensible or not, if the worst happens and the coppers get involved, they will be interested in your lack of license. Is it really worth it?

Are they clued up on english licenses? I have a full 125 license so maybe i could hire a 125 legally? I was looking at a wr250 or similar though, bad idea?

Efes123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:34 - 28 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhys1005 wrote:
Are they clued up on english licenses? I have a full 125 license so maybe i could hire a 125 legally? I was looking at a wr250 or similar though, bad idea?

I've no idea, but I wouldn't want to find out. Is it a bad idea? You find out the facts, weigh the risks, and make your call Very Happy

You could rock up at the office, present your license and unless they specifically ask whether you have the right license, if you get stopped, you can then claim ignorance*, and blame the bike hire shop for allowing you to do it.

* ignorance is not a legal defence in any country. Nor can you say "BCF told me it would be alright" Laughing

Peirre oBollox
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 12:05 - 28 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. First of all, never hand over you passport as guarantee or bond. because if you screw up, they`ll hang onto it until you pay up for damages. leaving you unable to return back to the UK. The same with your licence, but carry that with you if you ride anywhere. Just plead ignorance & tell them the documents are locked away at the hotel. Likewise giving them your bank/credit card details isn`t a good idea either.
2. IF your going to hire a motorcycle/scooter make sure your travel insurance will cover you IF you screw up, as the medical bills, & cost of repatriation back to the UK by medivac will make your eyes water.
The Spanish are already well know for not accepting EHIC cards & refusing citizens of other EEC countries reciprocal health care (even though they`re s`posed to) due to the state of the Spanish economy.
3. If you have your own helmet & gloves take them with you maybe even take a lightweight bike jacket. As they will be a far sight better than any kit they may give you over there ......... why? ......see 2.

Sload
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:09 - 28 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the naysayers, go for it!

https://www.assembly.org/summer10/gallery/fast-graphics/like-holding-a-phone-what-could-go-wrong-by-random/like-holding-a-phone-what-could-go-wrong.tif.jpeg

fatpies
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 28 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peirre oBollox wrote:
1. First of all, never hand over you passport as guarantee or bond. because if you screw up, they`ll hang onto it until you pay up for damages. leaving you unable to return back to the UK.

TBH I've considered this fair if you crash it why should the hire company be out of pocket? Having a second passport and absconding isn't much different from a hit and run.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:15 - 28 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Provisional licenses don't count outside the Uk.. because you can't go to europe on L plates..

Efes123
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 28 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:
I'm pretty sure Provisional licenses don't count outside the Uk.. because you can't go to europe on L plates..

Good point, I'd assumed an A1
rhys1005 wrote:
i'm 18 and i don't have a full license yet D: I've been riding 2 years though and i have a 125 license but i missed the janaury cut off point.
So, do you actually have a license, or are you on a CBT?

Mind you, Italy allow anyone with just a car license to hire up to a 250. I don't know the laws for Spain, although I'm sure a quick Google would inform.

rhys1005
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 16:21 - 28 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's either a full license with no restrictions for a 'big bike' or a car license for a 125. I have neither. I'm not sure if you could class it as a full 125 license but i passed my test under the new laws on a 125 so can ride a 125 without any motorcycle restrictions etc. so if i was to hire a bike over there it would technically be without the correct license.

The idea was to like someone else said play daft as i'm a teenager and it's not like a teenager is going to bother reading up spanish laws on holiday and if the hire place allows it then how would said person know different? Not saying that's what i'm going to do.. Just an idea Wink

Just wondering if anyone has tried said idea? I can't imagine them making much business if they require customers to have a full motorcycle license aswell as a spare £1000 and passport handy for a deposit?

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:01 - 29 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

fatpies wrote:
Peirre oBollox wrote:
1. First of all, never hand over you passport as guarantee or bond. because if you screw up, they`ll hang onto it until you pay up for damages. leaving you unable to return back to the UK.

TBH I've considered this fair if you crash it why should the hire company be out of pocket? Having a second passport and absconding isn't much different from a hit and run.

Your issue is that you have no arbitrator to decide what is a reasonable charge.

Imagine that the hire company says 'right, that'll be a new CBF then. this one is worth scrap now'. You either give them the money or they keep your passport until... what? Take them to court? But you're in Spain, presumably scrambling to find additional accommodation.

https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document

Is there an alternative to this?

c-m
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:58 - 29 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peirre oBollox wrote:
1. First of all, never hand over you passport as guarantee or bond. because if you screw up, they`ll hang onto it until you pay up for damages. leaving you unable to return back to the UK. The same with your licence, but carry that with you if you ride anywhere. Just plead ignorance & tell them the documents are locked away at the hotel. Likewise giving them your bank/credit card details isn`t a good idea either.
2. IF your going to hire a motorcycle/scooter make sure your travel insurance will cover you IF you screw up, as the medical bills, & cost of repatriation back to the UK by medivac will make your eyes water.
The Spanish are already well know for not accepting EHIC cards & refusing citizens of other EEC countries reciprocal health care (even though they`re s`posed to) due to the state of the Spanish economy.
3. If you have your own helmet & gloves take them with you maybe even take a lightweight bike jacket. As they will be a far sight better than any kit they may give you over there ......... why? ......see 2.

You don't need your passport to return to the UK. Nationals of most countries can return to their country of origin without a passport. You apply for an emergency travel document which lets you travel home via up to 5 countries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Derivative
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:17 - 29 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

c-m wrote:
You don't need your passport to return to the UK. Nationals of most countries can return to their country of origin without a passport. You apply for an emergency travel document which lets you travel home via up to 5 countries.

Right, which according to the post above costs £95 and cancels your British passport (another £50 or more on top).

Peirre oBollox
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:49 - 29 Jul 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derivative wrote:
Right, which according to the post above costs £95 and cancels your British passport (another £50 or more on top).

you beat me to it, is not cheap to get replacement documents such as passports, not to mention there may not be a local office in Benidorm, so there may be additional costs of travelling to where the passport office is
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 273 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Touring & Exploration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1