Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

I want to have a go at sidecar racing, in the sidecar.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
 Topic moved: from General Bike Chat to Racing & Trackdays by G (19 Aug 2013 - 12:31)
View previous topic : View next topic  

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 19 Aug 2013    Post subject: I want to have a go at sidecar racing, in the sidecar. Reply with quote

This kind of thing:

https://www.nexusracing.co.uk/images/MRO%201%20Cornwell.jpg

https://www.swaffs.co.uk/images/MMRAWL-report/Swaffs-MMRAWL_3434.jpg

Everybody who I've told and who knows biking says I'm nuts, but something about hanging off the side of a bike, inches from the ground, at 100+mph around a corner really appeals to me! I really want a go and I think if I enjoyed (which I reckon I will) I'd like to do it properly as part of a team.

Is there a way of just having a go for one race or something? Also has anybody done it before? I just need some advice really, what to expect and how to go about getting a ride blah blah...

Thanks

c_dug

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 19 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just realised maybe this could/should go in the racing section?

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:31 - 19 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a season driving and a season as passenger. Then you needed a ACU licence to do it, think that's still the case.
Could be quite difficult to get a one off test without knowing someone. Best bet might to be to go to a club meeting at your nearest track and ask about, you definitely need a try out before you enter a race so you know what to expect which is-
Intense, fast, bit dangerous with a potential to get dead.
Its like 100mph dodgem cars, there is lots of contact.
Keeping at least one hand hold when changing position is a bit important.
The braking is phenomenal, you need to know how to brace and move about under braking.
The need to relax your grip when you can.
The driver and you need 100% confidence in each other.
At one meeting I tumbled out and brayed my head so wasn't really compus mentis for the next race which was for championship points. One of the lads from work who was helping us had always said he wanted a go. He got dressed up in my kit and Colin, the driver told him to just sit here and not move about too much and they'd get what points they could, also to tap him on the shoulder if he wanted to come in. They did the full 8 laps, scored a few points and when he came back I said well done. He was white as a ghost and said he wanted to tap Col after the first lap but daredn't let go for long enough to do it. He didn't want to do it after that.
Hope you do get to have a go, like any motorsport it is not how you would imagine it to be but a great buzz if you like it.

OGR

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:44 - 19 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of goes (as monkey) with BMCRC - they would run an event at a meeting with proceeds going to their benevolent fund.
No licences needed, but did need leathers etc.

Not sure if they still do it, but worth asking.

Otherwise, there's often someone looking for fresh meat enthusiastic participants.

I was only on an 'F2' machine, but went and discussed the moves beforehand and he was fine that I was happy for him to get a shift on etc.
Didn't realise we were quite so on the limit (it was a drying track, think we were on slicks) until my foot slipped off a position mid corner and we slued sideways - which rather brings home how important the monkey is!

You can get a real sense of speed as the monkey because you are very close to the ground often, but as with most things; I quickly got used to it. It's not too far off riding a bike around something like Coppice at Cadwell, where you're pretty close to the grass when leant over for that.

It does require you to be pretty physically fit and strong to do it well.

Definitely worth having a go - a good laugh, but prefer normal bikes myself.

If not, then as Old Git says - if you ask around, might find a practice day you can get a few laps on.

Generally seem pretty friendly fols.

Also, as 95% of their machines are bodged together, I felt rightly proud when one of them came over to ask to borrow my tools. Or perhaps I just took along a bit too much Confused.

(I did hang off a bit more later on.)

https://www.swaffs.co.uk/images/Bemsee-Croix-06-report/Swaffs_Bemsee-Croix_290506-003.jpg
(And you can see my grip there too, which goes by the technical term 'death grip' Smile.)

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 19 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any particular forums that might be worth me asking?

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:03 - 19 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motoforum has racers from lots of different clubs and always a lot of BMCRC there.

Also, just noted that your second picture is minimoto sidecar (that or they are really, really big riders and those are actually large lorry tyres behind them).
Possibly even easier to have a go at this, but may be harder to find places that do it ironically.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:33 - 19 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I just grabbed a couple of pictures from google without much of a look at what the bikes themselves were.

writernick
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 16:50 - 19 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you from? I only ask because my local bike shop in Barnsley has a sign in the window asking if anybody wants to be a sidecar racing pilot - no experience required. It should be just up your street if you are from the Yorkshire area.
I can get the number for you if you want?

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:52 - 19 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds perfect but I am at the wrong end of the country Sad
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 280 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1