Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Suzuki B120 Student restoration - Now in Blue!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

killerbee76
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:27 - 30 Aug 2013    Post subject: Suzuki B120 Student restoration - Now in Blue! Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm new to the forum and to bikes, I've spent a lot of time on classic cars but decided i need a winter project so I purchased a 1970s Suzuki B120 on ebay.

The frame is in good condition, there are several pieces missing which I'm sourcing on ebay, it doesn't run as someone has removed the fuel lines, fuel cutoff, tank cap.. possibly a few other bits.

The idea is to rebuild it with a B100p tank and shocks, and a change of colour to blue. I'll have a smaller seat made up but will ask about that when the time comes.

Since getting it last weekend I've applied for the logbook (as it's been off the road since '94 with no V5) and started the tear down.

Few quick questions....
Would you guys powdercoat this type of frame or just have it painted? This bike won't see a lot of use but I don't want it re-rusting in a years time!

Is there a specific paint i should use for the engine block? I intend on having the engine all black with the covers and carb chromed.

The tank with the bike has very bad rust inside where it's sat with water in it, if i can't replace it, can they be relined somehow?

Piccy of the bike attached, I'll sort a photobucket type thing out soon with more detailed pics.

Cheers

Last edited by killerbee76 on 15:52 - 14 Dec 2013; edited 1 time in total

sidewinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:48 - 30 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello killerbee76 welcone in Very Happy
Looks a great little bike : As for the tank get it pressure tested to test for holes if ok you can seat it Thumbs Up

GrumpyGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:48 - 31 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved mine when I had it...

https://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/willyrobbie/2012-05-12173117.jpg

Watch out for the fuel tap - can get corroded inside easily which was the issue on this one.

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:29 - 31 Aug 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i had one when i first moved back to new zealand
https://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g257/hmmmnz/DSCF1825Small.jpg

was a wicked little commuter, a bit on the slow side, but did me just fine, the mrs was pissed off wen i sold it, only bike of mine shes ever liked Very Happy

wilz1234
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 09:57 - 31 Aug 2013    Post subject: Re: Suzuki B120 Student restoration Reply with quote

killerbee76 wrote:
Hi all

Few quick questions....
Would you guys powdercoat this type of frame or just have it painted? This bike won't see a lot of use but I don't want it re-rusting in a years time!

Is there a specific paint i should use for the engine block? I intend on having the engine all black with the covers and carb chromed.

The tank with the bike has very bad rust inside where it's sat with water in it, if i can't replace it, can they be relined somehow?

Piccy of the bike attached, I'll sort a photobucket type thing out soon with more detailed pics.

Cheers

Powdercoating would leave a much stronger finish, but I guess whether you get it powdercoating just depends on your personal preference really. If painted properly it shouldn't start rusting after only a year.

Use a high-temp paint on the engine block.

You can get fuel tank sealant stuff which you mix then swill around the inside of the tank. It's a bit of a last resort really if you can't stop the tank leaking.

killerbee76
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:27 - 02 Sep 2013    Post subject: Re: Suzuki B120 Student restoration Reply with quote

wilz1234 wrote:
killerbee76 wrote:
Hi all

Few quick questions....

Cheers

Powdercoating would leave a much stronger finish, but I guess whether you get it powdercoating just depends on your personal preference really. If painted properly it shouldn't start rusting after only a year.

Use a high-temp paint on the engine block.

You can get fuel tank sealant stuff which you mix then swill around the inside of the tank. It's a bit of a last resort really if you can't stop the tank leaking.

Cheers guys, I'm bidding on a B100 tank on ebay which i think would look good. I'm not overly fussed about keeping it standard. All the fuel lines, tap, tank cap, top of the carb are all missing, so i'll source a new tap from the same era and rebuild the carb.

I don't intend on using this a lot I just love the frame and look of that era! So I have my mind set on powdercoating to protect that frame for the future and not only my time of owning it. Besides some light scuffs and a bit of surface rust the main frame is in very good condition. Only the tail section is damaged where its had some kind of accident where its landed in its back left side. Indicator smashed, Tail section bent, left hand carb cover smashed away, (i only realised this when looking at the Haynes!)

I did win more bits on ebay (Spare oil tank and a battery cover) so they will be prepped and powdercoated with the frame, but i think they were off-white from the factory with a graphic? So they'll be put back to standard.

I've started cutting down the front guard which is by far the worst metal on the bike. I want it about 6 inches forward of the shocks and same at the rear, probably in the same colour as the frame. I'm look at making a shorter seat on a custom frame and having it trimmed in brown leather along with new handle grips and small bits like the kick starter.

I've removed the indicators & will remove the switch and wiring for them and convert the loom correctly to the B100p loom, (cheers Haynes manual Smile ). The only other bit i did was remove more rust and oil and started cleaning the engine for a set of gaskets and a repaint in matt black VHT.

So slow progress but I'm loving the bike and the small 2 stroke oil injector pump is a work of art! I'll go create an account now and start getting some pics for you guys before you get bored Smile

ps. Loving the blue bikes, i'm trying to colour match to BMC MGA powder blue but i want it quite matt not a high gloss...

Last edited by killerbee76 on 10:19 - 02 Sep 2013; edited 1 time in total

killerbee76
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:04 - 02 Sep 2013    Post subject: Re: Suzuki B120 Student restoration Reply with quote

https://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/killerbeeb120/bikecropped_zpsdfa4bb30.jpg
picked it up looking like this... (trust me the camera makes it look far cleaner than it was!

https://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/killerbeeb120/TaxDisk_zps91340476.jpg
Last Tax disk - there were a few rotten ones from the holder leaking, all with the same reg which i've sent to the DVLA

https://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/killerbeeb120/cutarch_zps4309401b.jpg
I want this to sit as close to the rubber as possible and even if this one just ends up as a template for the final one, it at least shows the idea at the front.

https://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/killerbeeb120/outside_zpsf505790f.jpg
Bit of a scrub down before i strip it, most of the bike is in boxes now sorted for either Chroming, powdercoating, or repairing/replacing.

Comments welcome but be nice! Smile
[/img]

killerbee76
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:51 - 03 Sep 2013    Post subject: Re: Suzuki B120 Student restoration Reply with quote

Tackled the carb last night, much nicer than any SU's I've done previously. I was amazed by how much crud was in the bottom section and the stale fuel had ruined everything inside Confused .
So tonight I'll finish it with the Dremel and a cotton polishing head and then I'll bung a pic up to see what's what. I know these bikes have a cover normally, half of mine is smashed so I'm not sure if I'll replace it or go for a high polish and leave it on display, and just ensure it's all watertight for any outings.

Next up tonight is to try convert the wiring loom to non indicator including removing the relay, switch wires, and power cables to all 4 indicators. Has anyone performed this before? I want the look to look stock when its done so it may have to go to my local Suzuki guy to crimp their OEM plugs on as I can't seem to find the plastic coated type anywhere. So i'll try lay out the look and get a pic of that too.
Pics tonight.

killerbee76
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:46 - 12 Sep 2013    Post subject: Re: Suzuki B120 Student restoration Reply with quote

More pics tonight, not sure if anyone is reading this though it's all gone a bit quiet! The carb looks a lot better and i sourced a suzuki parts list and workshop engine manual. Since the last update I've just been cleaning the bike and tidying up the loom which turned out to have suffered some pretty serious bodges. More later.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 12 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do these go like then?

Look physically small.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:07 - 12 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm following, keep it updated Thumbs Up

killerbee76
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:15 - 12 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

garth wrote:

Look physically small.

Hi, I've never ridden one but the Service manuals state 10bhp and even with a rebuild that won't be quick Shocked Although the bike weighs in at under 90kilos so it should be fun to ride at least.

The frame is very small I'll pop a picture with something to scale later. The place i collected it from had it next to a 2002 Ninja and it just dwarfed the little 120.

killerbee76
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:34 - 12 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

No talky, just piccy...

https://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/killerbeeb120/IMG_0176x_zpsf804c577.jpg
https://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/killerbeeb120/IMG_0234x_zps6820f6a1.jpg
https://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/killerbeeb120/IMG_0235x_zps45980594.jpg
https://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/killerbeeb120/IMG_0173x_zps94155444.jpg
https://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/killerbeeb120/IMG_0175x_zpsa55c4e51.jpg
https://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/killerbeeb120/IMG_0178x_zps833cf985.jpg
https://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/killerbeeb120/IMG_0244x_zpsa372e51a.jpg

and fresh off ebay, replacement (albeit bloody cracked) side cover
https://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/killerbeeb120/IMG_0241x_zps1da79483.jpg

I'll hopefully have a lot of progress ready for Monday. Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:48 - 12 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep at it mate! Thumbs Up
Nice little classic commuter, and so far from your pics it looks amazingly rust free and inside the motor casings look very clean too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:46 - 13 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking good Very Happy ace little bikes

garth wrote:

Look physically small.

yeah i looked ridiculous on mine (im 6'4") but people used to love it,
top speed was about 90kmh 55mph, and would get beaten off the lights by scooters Very Happy very un stressed motors, so last for ever with out engine rebuilds,

killerbee76
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:54 - 13 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmnz wrote:
looking good Very Happy ace little bikes

garth wrote:

Look physically small.

yeah i looked ridiculous on mine (im 6'4") but people used to love it,
top speed was about 90kmh 55mph, and would get beaten off the lights by scooters Very Happy very un stressed motors, so last for ever with out engine rebuilds,

Cheers chaps, I'm hoping to only have to change the gaskets on the motor unless i find any nasties. It kicks over freely but the clutch feels very stiff so i need to check why, maybe new springs will help?

I should have a bare frame tomorrow and i'll get a pressure washer on it and then its paint stripper time. If i get it to bare metal should i primer it whilst i wait for powdercoating? I'll keep the frame inside so it won't get wet.

hmmmnz
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:14 - 15 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

it'll just be a combo of the clutch cable, and the plates stuck together,
dump the oil, remove the plates, give the steels a light sand to remove any rust, and soak the friction plates in oil over night, the springs will be fine,

pull the head off, decoke the piston, check the bore, scrape out any shit from the exhaust port,
and put back together,
you could get new gaskets, but i probably wouldnt bother,

also while you have the exhaust off you could de-coke that as well,
(block an end and fill the whole exhaust with caustic soda and water, wear gloves as the shit burns, soak over night) then empty, and flush through with the hose,

other than that and the cleaning youve done already, there will be no need to delve any deeper into the engine

keep us posted on progress

killerbee76
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmnz wrote:
it'll just be a combo of the clutch cable, and the plates stuck together,
dump the oil, remove the plates, give the steels a light sand to remove any rust, and soak the friction plates in oil over night, the springs will be fine,

pull the head off, decoke the piston, check the bore, scrape out any shit from the exhaust port,
and put back together,
you could get new gaskets, but i probably wouldnt bother,

also while you have the exhaust off you could de-coke that as well,
(block an end and fill the whole exhaust with caustic soda and water, wear gloves as the shit burns, soak over night) then empty, and flush through with the hose,

other than that and the cleaning youve done already, there will be no need to delve any deeper into the engine

keep us posted on progress

Hi, cheers that makes sense. I've had the head off already and decoked the piston which was pretty clean, i then put a Dremel over it with a polishing head and made sure everything is smooth and clean. The bore is clean and besides a little bit of rusty wd40 which i wiped out it was clean. The exhaust port is a state and has chunks of crud in it so that's getting a proper clean out, all the rubbish seems to have left the cylinder and say in the down pipe so that seems like a good design if intended. Everything else on the motor has seemed fine, it makes no nasty noises when turned by hand and is VERY clean inside. The whole bike is stripped now and i didn't find any more nasties besides a few torn off screw heads that someone had left me!

The exhaust i'll follow your advice, all the chrome has gone nasty so i may sand it all back and matt black it in vht as I don't want to fork out on a new one. More pics later if i get time to upload them.

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:03 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used engine "blue" on my CG engine, it came out a treat

the stuff is like water so it goes for miles, i think mine is this stuff

looks a great little bike

Thumbs Up

killerbee76
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:37 - 16 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

mudcow007 wrote:
i used engine "blue" on my CG engine, it came out a treat

the stuff is like water so it goes for miles, i think mine is this stuff

looks a great little bike

Thumbs Up

That's exactly what i want and then have the covers chromed or something, i need to have a look but its what i'm thinking.

more pics.....

I was just hoping i wouldn't open this and see either an inch of crud or a big hole Shocked ! but i ended up finding this.... and that's before i cleaned it. So now it's over to tidying the frame up before paint or power, and also work on the loom and motor. The loom will need some work as i found a bodge where someones been at the tape and twisting wires so i'll unwrap it and replace with fresh stuff. Cheers for the comments all i'm taking it all onboard.

[Edit, this may be in my lounge but the mrs is just to the side threatening me incase ANYTHING touches that carpet Thumbs Up Mr. Green I live in fear]

https://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/killerbeeb120/IMG_0248_zpsd68c3426.jpg

https://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx285/killerbeeb120/IMG_0249_zpsc0fa1492.jpg

mudcow007
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:59 - 17 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The engine is alloy, so it will polish up a treat

i had the cases polished on my CG in work (amazing what people will do for a packet of chocolate digestives in here)

https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/mudcow007/T2eC16FHJIFHS-Q4hnBSLssmdNSQ60_12_zpsde8b1607.jpg

keep up the good work!!

killerbee76
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:02 - 23 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well getting the shocks off was fun. Suzuki had put one smaller toothed retainer over the larger one that holds the bearings down. Obviously hadn't ever come off and was stuck solid, wd40, heatgun, tapping a screwdriver in to try shock the top one off a bit. The C-spanners have been a 'mare and i've ended up with 2 adjustables and 2 fixed ones because in places on the bike the teeth are different thicknesses? Some take the regular hooked bit and 2 needed the thinner style. I think i've spent more special tools than the bike Rolling Eyes

Anyway now that carnage is over I've got a bare frame and it's not bad at all, so I'm talking to people about coatings this week and i've decided to not attempt to sand it at home and just get someone to gently shotblast it. I think I'd rather the frame was perfect and only the bits attached to it are bodged by me Razz

I've worked on a few bits so i'll try get some nice pics up midweek to show progress.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:04 - 23 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

moar please!

killerbee76
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:06 - 30 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Suzuki don't mess around when it comes to doing paint! Had friday off work so i got most of the paint off and tidied some very light surface rust. It's now looking pinkish as i get the last of the primer off then it's all the corners and underneath, I'll get a load more pics up at some point this week but the weekend was a busy one and the poor thing got a bit neglected, i want it powercoated with the engine back in by the end of this month so expect progress Mr. Green

killerbee76
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 09 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't given up on this or forgotten about the forum i promise! After a couple of very busy weeks with no free time, I'd gotten the top part of the frame down to bare metal with no rust problems. I finished taking the stands and front pegs off and then the whole lot has gone to the shot blasters for an inside and out bead blast. The fuel tank which is in a right state will be dipped overnight then dried and blasted, if it's trashed I'll just order a NOS one or maybe try another tank off a different bike to mix things up. The head off the motor went in to have a gentle blast and to clean the fins up where they're looking tatty, the whole thing will then be painted matt black with VHT. I've not got a lot of free time for the next few weeks again but i will make bits of progress here and there and hopefully have a blue bare frame soon! Cheers
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 174 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3