Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Twin Turbo 1200! ..... CHR15? Care to comment?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures
View previous topic : View next topic  

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:36 - 01 Sep 2013    Post subject: Twin Turbo 1200! ..... CHR15? Care to comment? Reply with quote

Popped over to local Custom & Classic show this week-end; Spotted this:-
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1268894_649812528377001_1121094549_o.jpg
Count-em. Yup TWO Turbo's!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/1184989_649812555043665_2070286077_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1238851_649812515043669_1063202855_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1240485_649812568376997_1649759487_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1150398_649811268377127_1697166527_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1185230_649811185043802_1636320928_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1233479_649811208377133_1009525968_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1235067_649811218377132_1283796308_n.jpg

Didn't get chance for much of a chat with it's creator... his few words were; "Don't make a fuss, she's in discrace! She's running like a bag of shit... be back later...got to go get some spanners" And he disappeared!

I think its a Dragstar chassis; FJ1200 motor, possibly R1 Forks & brakes... and a LOT of turbos!

Last shot; red & black auxilliary plumbing around the inlet manifolds; my first reaction was 'Nitrouse'.... but only one nozzle to the red pipes, & dont know what the blacks were doing.

Blow-Through system; with CV carbs but cant see any pressure compensation to the diagphram plenums...

So CHR15; Any thoughts? Ideas; Comments on what's going on here?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:32 - 01 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

The carb tops are pressurised from the plenum same as normal. It's the float bowl breathers that are supposed to be pressurised with dynamic pressure from the up-pipe.

Don't know what the red pipes are, might be vac/pressure take-offs, but he could use the balancing barbs for that.

Plenum looks a bit small for blow-through. It'll work but not as well as if it was bigger, and a better shape than what he has. You want the airspeed in the plenum a lot lower than the up-pipe.

Twin-turbo, meh, I'm not knocking it if that's the way the owner want's to do things but there's no real advantage over one turbo for a bike engine. Any perceived gains in spool-up time are off-set by doubling the rotating mass, plus a small turbo is less efficient than a large one, makes less power for the boost and has higher intake temps.

EDIT: I see he also has uneven firing feeding the turbos, 1/2 and 3/4 should be 1/3 and 2/4 to keep the pulses even.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:09 - 01 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is cool, but I don't like the chopper look, It's got to be a quite terrifying experience to ride it flat out with those mods. Confused

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 00:42 - 02 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
It is cool, but I don't like the chopper look, It's got to be a quite terrifying experience to ride it flat out with those mods. Confused

From the owners comments... and my own experience riding bikes I've built, I'd tend to agree... but probably for different reasons!
I wind up a restored old clunker to more than 60mph, and the auxilleration starts to get tempered by anxiety.... "Oh My GOD it WORKS!" followed by "What's going to break? PLEASE don't break!"

I wound the Super-Dream up to 80 on the clock last night; instantly after glancing down at the speedo and thinking "WheHEY!" the thought "Whats THAT NOISE!" obliterated it, followed by images of tortured tappets and strained cam-chains!

I imagine with that many horse power, whats going to BRAKE and whether it might come through the crank cases on a trajectory your man-hood is sitting would be rather daunting Shocked

I do love looking at these kind of creations; but I have to marvel at the deliciously perverse set of engineering reasoning that gets you from a moderately useful every-day motorcycle to something like THAT!

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 02 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick blast on my turbo bike would soon cure you of that Tef Very Happy

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:35 - 02 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

Whistle Praying
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:32 - 02 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Pete. wrote:

Whistle Praying

If the wheels are in the line, then I'd say it'd be alright. Slowing it down and cornering shall be the fun part. Thumbs Up

But that's me, I'd never even sit on anything from OCC and from others that call themselves a custom chopper shop. I like the part where someone from OCC rides the bike, it all flexes when he goes straight and says, the bike's great, very good handling Rolling Eyes Laughing

Clutchy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:47 - 02 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

I know ages ago I asked you for some dyno print out and you sent me to a thread, but did you ever make a thread with pics of your bike etc?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 16:16 - 02 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

What, Mechanical Sympathy? Shocked

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:25 - 02 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
Pete. wrote:

No - marvelling at the perverse reasoning behind it Wink

Paddy wrote:

Whistle Praying

I don't know that even that bike is Paddy-proof. I'm not sure that any bike is.....

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:38 - 02 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a straight line, what can go wrong Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:04 - 02 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
In a straight line, what can go wrong Laughing

*Checks sig line* - not much - not much at all Very Happy

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:22 - 02 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clutchy wrote:
Pete. wrote:

I know ages ago I asked you for some dyno print out and you sent me to a thread, but did you ever make a thread with pics of your bike etc?

I never did a thread about the bike's build, though I did one about the engine that contains a lot of info:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=173023

One day I'll take it back to the dyno and see if it will hit the magic 500, but not just yet, when I have enough money to rebuild it if it goes bang.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 03:32 - 03 Sep 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Teflon-Mike wrote:
Pete. wrote:
No - marvelling at the perverse reasoning behind it Wink

Actually, there isn't so much perverse engineering reasoning behind a Turbo-Busa.

I mean, the Busa is about the fastest thing with two wheels money can buy.... SO, if that's what you want from a bike..... you buy a busa...and what do you do when that's not enough? Slap on a blower. Makes perfect sense! Shocked

On the other hand if YOU had a Yamaha Drag-Star....

Lets think about this..... it's a harley for folk that actually want to go places, not spend thier entire lives worrying about the state of their piles, tenitus and polishing stuff and replacing every sub-standard part the factory fitted with something from a catalogue, instead..... But... but... BUT! You don't buy one because you want a FAST motorcycle! You just don't!

So how do you get the idea.... "I wonder.... do you think that FJ1200 engine I just happen to have lying around will go in this?"

And then from THAT bit of perversity to, "Hmmm... I think this needs a Turbo.... no... actually... I THINK it probably needs a couple of them!"

It's the perversity of how many ways can you make it hard for yourself! I mean... it's not exactly following particularly logical engineering reasoning, is it?

Air-Cooled FJ1200, good solid lump to go for I suppose, BUT.... 125bhp out the box, its not got the most potential to begin with. GSXR1100? Offers more out the box, and you know that there's a whole industry churning out after-market tuning goodies for them, and when you get stuck, you can probably just buy a solution 'off-the-shelf'.

It's Dublin Directions; "Ah, will noo, Ah wuddun be wannin t'start frum 'here!"

You'd start with a ZZR1100 or a Bandit 12 engine or 'something'... NOT an old FJ12 lump and a Drag-Star chassis!

It IS in the tradition of Turbo's... that is after all the ONLY reason that Honda decided to Turbo a Maggot...... to prove they COULD! But you have to have a certain degree of mechanical masocism to do something like that! Or be German! Or worse, Swiss, I suppose.

Err... hold on... I think I need to go lie down.... I have just re-read my own post, and... yup... I think I just made a case to describe a Turbo busa as 'actually quite sensible' Shocked This cannot be so! A Honda CB500 is 'Sensible' a Pan Euro is 'sensible'... a GSX750 tea-pot is 'sensible'....

OK... compared to a Yamaha-Dragstar, with FJ1200 engine and a pair of turbo's.... a Turbo-Nitrouse Hyabusa ALMOST seems 'sensible'! Laughing

newk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 23:32 - 06 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bloke u spoke to didn't build it !

newk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:59 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

bit of info about the bike, frame / swingarm home built, zxr 750 front end and rear wheel , tank / rear guard / side panels home made , bars / instroment cluster home made ,exhaust /turbo / plenum home made , all paintwork and polishing done by builder
the engine is stock and only running around 8psi of boost so very reliable , wasn't built for outright power just somat to catch the eye

lilredmachine
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:53 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

newk wrote:
, wasn't built for outright power just somat to catch the eye

And that it does. You never quite get over seeing a twin turbo in the flesh.

Of course, the single turbo is a more elegant solution for big power, hence the reason every big power turbo bike is a single.

newk
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:09 - 07 Oct 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol it did start out as a single turbo but needed somat to make it stand out from the norm , oh an it had nitrous as well before it was sold

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 06:27 - 07 Nov 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

newk wrote:
the bloke u spoke to didn't build it !

My apologies... his obvious custodianship and quest for spanners merely implied!
newk wrote:
bit of info about the bike, frame / swingarm home built, zxr 750 front end and rear wheel , tank / rear guard / side panels home made , bars / instroment cluster home made ,exhaust /turbo / plenum home made , all paintwork and polishing done by builder
the engine is stock and only running around 8psi of boost so very reliable , wasn't built for outright power just somat to catch the eye

That's honestly home fabbed? By.... ?you?
That IS impressive. From the flow of panels and the bends and welds in the frame, I HONESTLY believed that it was a hot-rodded factory custom, not a scratch-build.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 166 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Pictures All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1