Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

CR125 road legal

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Fladdem
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:40 - 16 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! STUFF! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Very Happy

Now the rebuild can begin and the hoon-tool back on the road.
Current:1991 Honda MT50 (Soon to be a H100/MTX/MT5 hybrid), 1976 Honda Cub C70, 2005 Honda Varadero 125, 1993 Yamaha TTR250 Open Enduro , 2010 Road Legal Stomp YX140, 1994 Honda CRM 250 MK III, 1999 Cagiva Mito 125, 1992 Honda CB400 Super Four, Stomp T4 230, 1984 Honda H100s, 2009 Sym XS125K
Past:2003 Aprilia RS125, 1982 Kawasaki GPZ550(FREE BIKE!)
I'm having more fun than a well-oiled midget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:14 - 23 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain, I hope your on the mend and the arm starts to heal together soon properly mate!

Two questions though?

Has Paddy moved into a stately home? And does he have a groundsman/Gardener?

Oh and I hope the CR runs nicely with the Liner'ed bore.

I've got a liner fitted on my KMX125, and as soon as I've put another 100miles on it or so, I'm going to take it for a Dyno session.

I'm sure that it will have less power than std as I rarely hear anything positive about the effects of going for a liner on performance, but if I'm making 19bhp or more that will do me for a baseline!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:39 - 24 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a very nice annexe to a VERY big house with lots of garden.

Laughing

Can call it a stately home, its in a state Wink

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 13:49 - 28 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good step, no full cast is a bonus as you can now wash it!

What I would say is use it, but don't abuse it. Start changing gear in the auto with the left hand, start using a hand grip tool or stress ball.

TUG
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:54 - 28 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Paddy., use the muscles, don't let them waste like I did with my arm, but you need to make sure you don't over do it in order to let the bones mend.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:41 - 28 May 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested on how the liner jobs lasts. Are you using different type piston rings? As not sure on the CR but some plated bores run harder rings which can wear steel bores. I'm thinking of re sleeving one of my kdx200's when it comes to replate time as its possible to take it out to 240ish cc .......glad to see things moving along again Wink also I hope you ain't a smoker as that plays havoc with bone growth.....ask me how I know!

Hokum
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:20 - 03 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:

https://cdn.acidcow.com/pics/20110324/cats_14.jpg

deadwolf
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 16:58 - 03 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to derail the thread, but how would you rate those RST Urban Boots? Been looking for motorcycle 'sneakers' and the TCX sneakers are the only ones that have any presence in review sections. They cost about 40 quid more than the RSTs too.

Boxing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:03 - 03 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:

My mum had one of them when I was young. It failed a MOT around 2000 or 2001, so got scrapped. She had a replacement 2 door version to fix it up, but couldn't afford to run it, said it was a gas guzzler and kept drifting it in the rain by accident. Laughing

Hope your arm is healing good. Thumbs Up

What you doing with it being a write off? Can it come back on the road after an inspection or will it have to be re-framed? Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:44 - 03 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing wrote:
What you doing with it being a write off? Can it come back on the road after an inspection or will it have to be re-framed? Thumbs Up

Ignore the words "write-off"

Any bike can go back on the road pretty much. Thumbs Up Lolvo is lols.

Boxing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:35 - 04 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:

Boxing wrote:
What you doing with it being a write off? Can it come back on the road after an inspection or will it have to be re-framed?

Nah, cat D so doesn't even need any kind of check. Still MOT'd, taxed & insured so really can be ridden the second I'm well enough to take it out. And it has a front wheel.

The car is amazingly good on fuel being the 1.4, am in the process of turbocharging it though so I suspect that may change. I had a 1.7 a few years ago, but that was again pretty good on fuel. 360 series with it's 2.0 motor might drink it.

However I did buy it purely for learning drifting in, so the wet weather manners are a bonus - the diff is welded, it's got landrover front dampers on the back and the front springs have been chopped down. It's also got 3" lowering blocks on the back, and no interior in the back. I've gotta put the new 2" blocks in though as with Paddy onboard it bottomed out on a roundabout entry and ripped a huge chunk of sidewall out of the nearside rear tyre.

I ain't too sure which model she had, and she can't remember either.

Looks identical to this one though, and was even in the same colour:
https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6228/6382927795_fc89a007e1.jpg

She usually drives 1.0-1.2's as they're cheaper on fuel, so even a 1.7 would be a gas guzzler to her compared to them. She had a VW Polo (MK2) before the Volvo.

Nice to know the CR will be back on the roads soon. Thumbs Up

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:16 - 04 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxing wrote:

I ain't too sure which model she had, and she can't remember either.

Looks identical to this one though, and was even in the same colour:
https://farm7.static.flickr.com/6228/6382927795_fc89a007e1.jpg

She usually drives 1.0-1.2's as they're cheaper on fuel, so even a 1.7 would be a gas guzzler to her compared to them.

That would be a 2.0, producing a whole 115bhp Laughing

Old tech + brick like shape + weight of a small moon = 15mpg if you give it some welly, late 20s if driven sensibly at 55mph.

Good fun though.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:54 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting reading re: car weights there!

I've driven a few Corsa D-generation models, and found them to be composed, but very boring and pretty gutless for the engine size. Even the VXR does not make 189bhp go as far as it should which is obviously due to the weight.

Also didn't realise the Volvo 240/740/940's were that heavy? And people actually bother to tune and modify these things why?

I thought my 1160kg fwd coupe was heavy, but it's lighter than a Corsa, which is ridiculous when you say it lol!

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:15 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the going sideways logic and the easy big power gains available with though old brick saloon/estates, and yeah very marmite styling too!

But say for a track car or even a fast road car, it seems too much weight to lug around and turn and stop, when the 300bhp could be put to much better use in a lighter platform? Maybe for purely going sideways weight is not too critical, but then if your serious about going fast sideways is no use! Laughing

Can think of other lighter rwd cars with big bays that can swallow easy motor swaps. I'd want to be on serious drugs before id chose a Volvo 240 over an old Capri or Manta or Mk3 supra for a tuning project though!

still I maintain it's more fun to scrabble away 260bhp through the front wheels in a big understeery mess instead!
Laughing

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:25 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Can think of other lighter rwd cars with big bays that can swallow easy motor swaps. I'd want to be on serious drugs before id chose a Volvo 240 over an old Capri or Manta or Mk3 supra for a tuning project though!

You need to find a dealer then.

Eggenberger Volvo won the 1985 ETCC outright, running 242 Turbos and I ran a Haas tuned 244GLT Turbo in the early 90s (I was sales manager of a Volvo dealership) that would eat V6 Capris for breakfast.

All Capris suffer from weight distribution issues (the bigger the engine, the bigger the issue) and Mantas are stuck with that asthmatic old four pot as standard, so you've got a lot of work to do before you start.

On the other hand, take a standard 240, drop in a B230ET motor from a 740 Turbo (virtually a straight swap) and you've a got serious sleeper, with better balance than the Ford or the Opel.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:03 - 05 Jul 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
Shaft wrote:
I ran a Haas tuned 244GLT Turbo in the early 90s (I was sales manager of a Volvo dealership) that would eat V6 Capris for breakfast.

Would be very much interested in hearing about this at some point.

It's not much of a story.

By 1990, the estate still had a following but you couldn't give saloons away and I was stuck with a new 244GLT manual, gathering dust in our holding compound.

One day, I came across a Haas Tuning catalogue in our parts department and, amongst the body kits and spoilers, there was a Turbo conversion for the B230E engine; a phone call later and one was on the way.

We put some BBS style cross spoke wheels on it, beefed up the suspension a bit and I went off hunting Astra GTEs to embaress!

We never dynoed it, but it was quicker than a 740 Turbo, I would guess at somewhere approaching 200bhp.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 10 of 11