Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Bike cams..and where to position

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

poleposition
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:23 - 11 Dec 2013    Post subject: Bike cams..and where to position Reply with quote

me and some friends are flying to portugal in February for a 4 day track event with focus events..
I have read on their website that they dont allow helmet cams or tank mounted cams...obviously i will have to find another way of positioning the camera but ideally i wanted to show the dials and the track through the front screen..
Does anyone know why they won't allow tank mounted cams, or helmet cams for that matter? (not that i want to mount on the helmet)
If i made up a bracket to hold the camera just on top of the yoke or around that area do you think that might be acceptable?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:30 - 11 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is they don't allow it for two reasons:

1.) Having to go and pick up someones camera which fell off during a session becomes a real drag

2.) If you crash and go flying over the tank and impale yourself on a drift HD or having it attached to your lid causes further injury then they could be liable.

Really I think what they are saying is no cameras at all, so if you want to do it then I'd hide it behind the fairing or something like that. Video of your own clocks is pretty dull anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

poleposition
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 16:53 - 11 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply...i can understand the reasoning there...i have bought one of tbose dual lens jobbies..not expensive, but it has a seperate small camera about the size of a small matchbox which i was hoping to mount somewhere..
Im not so concerned about showing the dials..I dont need to impress anyone with how fast my R1 is going..but i did want to show at least part of the bike in the vid..to show perspective..lean angles etc...

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:55 - 11 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

poleposition wrote:
Thanks for the reply...i can understand the reasoning there...i have bought one of tbose dual lens jobbies..not expensive, but it has a seperate small camera about the size of a small matchbox which i was hoping to mount somewhere..
Im not so concerned about showing the dials..I dont need to impress anyone with how fast my R1 is going..but i did want to show at least part of the bike in the vid..to show perspective..lean angles etc...
Well, last trackday I did , I saw someone with a couple of little bullet cams. He had one under the tail that looked at the rear wheel and beyond, and one just inside the fairing about the level of his indicators. That trackday they said no cameras at all, but he managed to get away with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

poleposition
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 08:50 - 12 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is half the reason why I was reluctant to fork out for a decent action cam, I appreciate the video/sound quality will be miles better but it would be a kick in the teeth if i spent 2-300 quid for a decent cam and was then told I couldn't use it..The track is probably the only time I'd use it.
The one I bought has a seperate camera which is only the size of a small matchbox so I would imagine will be quite easy to position somewhere without being obtrusive.
I'm hoping too if I make a decent bracket and make sure its nice and secure and not likely to fall off it will be less of a concern to those involved, If they refuse to allow it then i've only lost 40 odd quid.

Has anyone used these before:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-Dual-Lens-Car-Camera-DVR-720P-Separate-AV-In-Lens-Vehicle-Video-Recorder-Cam-/121093876067?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item1c31c1e963

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 15 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been allowed to use camera before, but had to have a 'safety and security check' i.e. to check it is safely and securely mounted. I have then also been asked to sign a form to say that I won't use any footage for profit - lets face it, anything profitable, the track would want a bite!

So, I simply advice asking the trackday provider - you might be fine.

Oh and as for camera, vibration is your enemy on a motorcycle. Unless you are prepared to buy an expensive damped/stabilised set-up, you are better off fitting to your person rather than the bike. 'YOU' make for a wonderful dampener Smile

Red Devil
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 20 Dec 2013    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
Really I think what they are saying is no cameras at all, so if you want to do it then I'd hide it behind the fairing or something like that. Video of your own clocks is pretty dull anyway.

No not at all, this is the rule at all MSV tracks as well but they are more than happy for you to mount them elsewhere along as they are securely fitted.

My gopro was mounted on the yoke for this video, I used the 'J' mount that comes with it to raise it to the right height for a clear view over the clocks.

https://youtu.be/DkJymFXzX_A

Thumbs Up
Thundersport Pre-National Sport 600 2014 #92
EMRA Roadstock 600 2013 - 3rd
www.facebook.com/MattJohnstonRacing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 122 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1