Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Project Electric (Push) Bike - Now With Video

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:05 - 15 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackDaniels wrote:

Not worth it for the road, you'd get arrested almost instantly. Laughing

Would be a laugh on private land though.
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:26 - 31 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

DivvyNumbarse wrote:
This thread is lacking updates.

Sorry, been away for work, will hopefully get something done this weekend.
Pol Anorl This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:42 - 09 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had absolutely no time at all to work on this, if I'm lucky I might get a bit done this evening, otherwise next weekend should be a go. Very Happy

Nb
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 09 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats some serious diy shit there, i had an electric bike for a year with a rear 350w hub motor and i passed every one else on the redway where i live. Sold it after a year as the battery needed replacing and at the time i couldnt afford to replace it. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:52 - 20 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op's Battery Bombs blew it up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 14:44 - 20 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

1500w is enough for a reasonable bit of speed. Certainly for a push bike.

We're talking probably similar to a lot of cheap 50cc 4 strokes as far as 'go' goes - a bit less weight and more available able torque.

bezzabsa
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:49 - 20 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ran out of 50p's for the meter

for our older posters Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:50 - 22 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK semi-update.

I hooked up all the stuff today, with the new working throttle.

Nice bit of fake plastic chrome to bling the bike up too. Laughing

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_0420_zps285a44b6.jpg

It span up fine which is a bonus.

However I'm going to have to buy some more batteries. I have more dead cells which are killing them off, I will need to find a better way of testing them before I build each pack. This new charger can measure internal resistance, but I think I'm going to charge every single one in parallel, then leave them for a week and measure the voltage, then I will throw out all the dead ones and build another pack.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:14 - 23 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe an on load discharge test before you build the packs?

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:25 - 23 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bladerunner wrote:
Maybe an on load discharge test before you build the packs?

Problem is, it's a huge amount of cells.

If I do an entire pack in parallel its over 320Ah at 4V, This new charger can discharge at 1000W into a car battery so it wouldn't take long to get a decent amount out of them but because there are so many in parallel, the bad cells tend to just get recharged by the good ones and they all look the same at the end. The only way I can think of finding the individual bad cells is to charge them all, separate them and leave them. The ones with an internal short will loose charge much faster.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 23 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, you're not going to have good cells and bad cells - you're going to have cells in various grades of degradation. How are you going to determine that?

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 23 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
The problem is, you're not going to have good cells and bad cells - you're going to have cells in various grades of degradation. How are you going to determine that?

When I say bad and good I'm referring to cells with and without internal shorts. The bad have the shorts and are unusable as they just act as a resistor sapping all the power from the good cells. You will probably notice this is most modern battery powered devices, their battery life tends not to taper off, but to suddenly fail, this is usually because one of the cells has shorted and is sapping all the power, while the other cells are perfectly fine.

The good cells have no internal shorts, but like you said will have varying capacity, however I'm not overly worried about that, from the packs I have built, about 50% will loose about 0.05V over a 2-3 week period, about 30% will loose 0.1V and the other 20% are loosing 1.5V. I got similar results when I load tested them too.

Because of the size of the packs the small variations in capacity are just getting absorbed and will only slightly reduce the overall capacity.

So it is really just a case of finding the shorted cells so that I will have a generally good battery. I'm not going for the performance of the RC Lithium packs, I know I wont acheive that with these cells. But I will be happy with a reliable pack for 1/10 the cost.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:04 - 23 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there some problem where cells of reduced-capacity get reverse-charged by the better cells when you run the battery very low though?
I read this cited as the reason why DeWalt batteries suddenly die off, caused by running the drill down dead flat. I had killed off a couple of batteries before reading that and have been careful not to run it dead flat ever since and I haven't lost a battery since then.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 23 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Isn't there some problem where cells of reduced-capacity get reverse-charged by the better cells when you run the battery very low though?
I read this cited as the reason why DeWalt batteries suddenly die off, caused by running the drill down dead flat. I had killed off a couple of batteries before reading that and have been careful not to run it dead flat ever since and I haven't lost a battery since then.

Running Lithium's dead flat is never good. After a point they will drop of the cliff and not accept charge. You can recover them with a decent charger, but often those in power tools etc are made to a price and only have the most basic charging functions.

The controller has a voltage cut off and I will by buying a backup cut off circuit to go in there. The risk of killing you pack isn't worth the extra few miles you would get from it.

The main worry I have now is how much voltage drop I will get under load. If it's too much I'm going to have to set the cut off lower than I would like to avoid it cutting out all the time. If it's too bad I will have to increase the packs capacity.

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:05 - 24 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed you have a lot of cells to deal with! But matched cells will give better results I guess at the expense of rebuilding and testing the cells. I used to do a bit of battery pack building when I raced 1/10 scale rc cars many years ago! Deffo takes a bit of skill to solder them up without damaging the cells when pulling lots of amps!

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:18 - 24 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed you have a lot of cells to deal with! But matched cells will give better results I guess at the expense of rebuilding and testing the cells. I used to do a bit of battery pack building when I raced 1/10 scale rc cars many years ago! Deffo takes a bit of skill to solder them up without damaging the cells when pulling lots of amps!

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 01 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK some progress today.

The extra batteries that I ordered arrived:

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_0425_zpsca92001c.jpg

Stripped them down again, I am much better at this now,
took about 15mins and only stabbed myself 5 times. Very Happy Thumbs Up

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_0426_zps4d373046.jpg

The started wiring together all the cells in parallel. As you can see I'm changing up my connection method. On the positive end of the cell I'm going to join them in the centre of their original connecting tab. I'm doing this because I have suspicions that I may have killed a few cells last time by getting solder spatter in the small gap between the positive and negative terminals.

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_0427_zpsa617fcc0.jpg

I was making good progress, got the first lot of 24 cells wired up, was about to finish the second lot of 24 and then this happened:

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_0428_zpsf55fdea2.jpg

I scrounged around and found just enough solder to finish the second pack of 24 cells and this happened:

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_0429_zps85eb57d0.jpg

Laughing

So I will have to buy some more supplies.

In the mean time I can charge up the pack I finished.

Don't think I have shown the fancy charger I bought from 'Murica yet. The old one had a pathetic 50W charge limit. This one however has a 1000W limit. Very Happy

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_0430_zps6e545c35.jpg

It also has loads of fancy features. Including a USB interface and software so I can set my own really complicated charge cycles.

It can also spit out tons of graphs which I can nerd over. Here are a couple I collected quickly for the single cell 50Ah pack I'm charging ATM:

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/GRAPH1_zps0b2d1162.png

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/GRAPH2_zps7cf827cd.png

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/GRAPH3_zps6dbe7bf9.png

I think that last one shows just how shit my £15 PSU is. I think I might buy a couple of second hand 1000W Server rack PSU's instead.

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:30 - 02 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I taped the soldering iron back together long enough to finish the second pack.

I then cut apart the charged pack

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_0431_zpsfe3c9212.jpg

And put them in a box

https://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/Biles/EBike/IMG_0432_zps2eae0019.jpg

I will add the rest when they finish charging.

I will then be leaving them for a week or 2 and see how much voltage they have all lost, any that are below ~ 3.8V will be thrown out.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 20:50 - 02 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you working out the sort of price you're paying per usable ah/wh?

Aff
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 02 Mar 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Are you working out the sort of price you're paying per usable ah/wh?

I will do it properly after this pack, seeing as I think I damaged a lot of the cells last time through lack of experience.

This round of cells cost 43.75p each. Which if they all work makes it about 4.5p per Wh.

If I'd have bought them all in one go, it would have be about 30% cheaper.

For a comparison, the cheapest pre-built I could find was 46p per Wh.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 60 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9