Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Dizziness whilst riding

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:51 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Dizziness whilst riding Reply with quote

Well today was an usual experience on the way to work today on my bike.

I realised I had run out of contact lenses this weekend (I have monthly sets) and had to take the train into work yesterday as I was out in the evening, so wore my glasses all day. No problem. New contact lenses are arriving at work today (Tuesday) before 1pm so I decided to ride into work with my glasses on under my helmet. I've never done this before.

I was about two thirds into my journey, riding up to the Embankment when I stopped at a set of lights and all of a sudden felt rather dizzy. I felt like my eyes were rolling around and couldn't focus on the cars ahead of me, as well as feeling light-headed. My bike below me seemed a bit of a haze too.

As I had to pull away from the lights and red lines everywhere I couldn't really stop, but I was a little wobbly. I think it was a bit windy out too which didn't help! I looked down at my speedo and saw an out of focus 20mph but I swear it could have been more.

Flipped up my visor to get some air in and took some deep breaths, after a couple of minutes I could focus again and felt a bit more in control. I felt almost drunk just a minute before that!

Got to another set of lights and sat for a couple of minutes. Felt fine after that!

Very strange, I've never ridden a motorbike in glasses before in my 8 years of riding and probably never will again. I've had these glasses for about 4 years and the strength is fine, and I have regular eye checkups. No other health problems. Probably should have pulled over to stop but quite honestly didn't feel safe doing that and felt better just rolling ahead.

Anyone else experience this with glasses at all, or just a freak moment?

Thumbs Up

TL;DR - I wore glasses for the first time on my bike and got dizzy.

jeddy11
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 10:54 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm if this was me i would be trying to recreate the sensation to prove what the problem is, would hate for this to happen if i was going faster Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 10:56 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had that from wearing glasses. I've always worn glasses with my lid and never had an issue like that.

Are you sure the arms weren't being forced into your temples by your lid? That could have been the cause perhaps.

I have felt faint like that though, after removing my base layer that I've worn underneath my leathers. Apparently it's something to do with lowering blood pressure or something.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 10:59 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get to a doctor. That might be something simple like low blood sugar/wooziness before breakfast or it may be something more serious like the heart going temporarily out of rhythm (which happens to me sometimes).

It doesn't sound at all related to wearing glasses or not. You should get that checked out. BCF isn't a substitute for your GP.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Yes it could have been the arms putting pressure on my head from the lid. It's a Shoei XR1100 and it's an excellent fit, so maybe glasses were a bit of a squeeze.

I wouldn't like to recreate the situation again, certainly not on a bike anyway Shocked

I was wearing base layers too but have done for the last few months so not sure if it would be down to that.

Funnily enough the new lenses have just been delivered to my desk a few minutes ago. They're in now and I can see the world again without a frame in front of my eyes! Laughing

(Really hate glasses)

esullivan wrote:
It doesn't sound at all related to wearing glasses or not. You should get that checked out. BCF isn't a substitute for your GP.

I appreciate the urgency of your post and will consider it if it happens again, but this really is the first time anything like this has happened - by process of variable elimination the only that that has changed were the glasses...

And have you never check the Dear Auntie BCF section for the random stuff people consult with in there?! Laughing

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:04 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it had anything to do with the glasses as it cleared afterwards. Although 4 year old glasses. Depends on how you prescription has changed. Glasses are not he same as contacts.

I would guess its more likely a build up of fumes given that it cleared after lifting the visor and riding for a bit to get some fresh air in your body.

dydey90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:04 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something similar has happened to me a few times while out in town. I found that if I don't have a good square meal before a night out, then end up staying late I get a massive energy dip around 4-5am and it feels exactly like the symptoms described, plus lightheaded and tunnel vision. The first time it happened I panicked because I thought I must have been spiked, but now I just make sure to have a lot to eat before drinking.

esullivan
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 11:10 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:
esullivan wrote:

I appreciate the urgency of your post and will consider it if it happens again, but this really is the first time anything like this has happened - by process of variable elimination the only that that has changed were the glasses...

And have you never check the Dear Auntie BCF section for the random stuff people consult with in there?! Laughing

I understand, but don't go the other way and under-estimate the urgency, either. There's a reason why "have you experienced any dizziness" is one of the first questions you get asked in the A&E and why answering yes to that question puts you to the front of the queue. Sudden drops in blood pressure (which this might be) isn't normal.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:19 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
I doubt it had anything to do with the glasses as it cleared afterwards. Although 4 year old glasses. Depends on how you prescription has changed. Glasses are not he same as contacts.

I would guess its more likely a build up of fumes given that it cleared after lifting the visor and riding for a bit to get some fresh air in your body.

I have the contact lens checkup every 6 months and glasses check once a year, all been stable.

dydey90 wrote:
I found that if I don't have a good square meal before a night out, then end up staying late I get a massive energy dip around 4-5am and it feels exactly like the symptoms described, plus lightheaded and tunnel vision.

I ate at about 7:30 last night and had a big poo at about 10pm Thinking No breakfast this morning though but that is usual.. Will see about changing that.

esullivan wrote:
I understand, but don't go the other way and under-estimate the urgency, either.

I'll talk to my cousin, he's a doctor.

Forgot to mention - I also work at the Royal Society of Medicine Laughing

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:33 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dizziness whilst riding

Wall of death is not for you...

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:36 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like blood sugar or heart. I would want to see my GP about it.
You could try wearing your lid and glasses at home for an a bit to eliminate that, although it does sound like a coincident.

P.S. I have no medical knowledge!

Doovy
World Chat Champion

Pete. wrote:
Quote:
Dizziness whilst riding

Wall of death is not for you...

With contact lenses, anything is for me Cool

Except for anal.

beardface
Spanner Monkey

I wear glasses to ride and have had the same happen as what you had.

Was nothing to do at all with wearing glasses for me, the cause was the amount of layers I had on to combat sub-zero temperatures.....

Caused blood flow to be different as was tight on cuffs of jacket/around chest/neck. Loosened and removed some layers and bad-a-bing back to normal Embarassed

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the description that you gave of your symptoms, I'd say that MarJay is bang on the money.
I experienced similar symptoms to you when I started wearing a new pair of specs a while ago. A simple arm adjustment cured the problem.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 12:25 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try riding on the road. Far more space than the pavement and fewer pedestrians to swerve around.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:27 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I'm no more layered up than usual so really don't think it's that. Diet is usual too, so no change there. No alcohol intake recently and no drugs. Not had a blood sugar level problem either.

Raffles wrote:
From the description that you gave of your symptoms, I'd say that MarJay is bang on the money.
I experienced similar symptoms to you when I started wearing a new pair of specs a while ago. A simple arm adjustment cured the problem.

I'm going to go with the glasses arms being pushed against my head, my XS Shoei is a tight fit.

Will report back if it ever happens again, and will consult my doctor cousin in the meantime Smile Thanks guys!

Robby wrote:
Try riding on the road. Far more space than the pavement and fewer pedestrians to swerve around.

I see what you did there. Are you sure it's not the weight issue? It could be the weight issue. I don't think it's the weight issue. Definitely not the weight issue. Not that I've got a complex about it now or anything Shifty It's not even an issue.

I have lost 5kg since that rib night actually though Laughing

Huambo81a
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:01 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds normal.

I used to wear glasses. When i first got my contact lenses i went to Alton Towers. Never been so dizzy in my life, almost to the point of being sick. I'm usually fine.

Now i'm used to them, everythings good.

TLDR: Changing the way you see, makes you dizzy for a fews days.

iooi
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:24 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:
iooi wrote:

I have the contact lens checkup every 6 months and glasses check once a year, all been stable.

Don't know what type of bike you have. But if it has a forward leaning riding position. You will not be looking through the correct part of the lens. As such it is like wearing a different prescription.

You will be amazed at how much it alters in a small distance. As well as the distance from your eye to the back of the lens effecting the power.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:36 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:
I have lost 5kg since that rib night actually though Laughing

I have so much power.
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:55 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a look at the evidence presented and in my medical opinion i conclude that you are 5-6 weeks pregnant.

You should speak to your GP or visit the antenatal dept. of your local hospital.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

iooi wrote:
Don't know what type of bike you have. But if it has a forward leaning riding position. You will not be looking through the correct part of the lens. As such it is like wearing a different prescription.

You will be amazed at how much it alters in a small distance. As well as the distance from your eye to the back of the lens effecting the power.

You know what, that could be a factor too. It's a CBR 600RR so quite far forward riding position, and I had to push my glasses all the way up to the top of the bridge of my noses so I could view out of the uppermost part of the lens. It did seem a bit stronger looking through up there like that!

Pregnancy could be a possibility, but my chromosomes may disagree.

Walloper
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:41 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doovy wrote:
iooi wrote:

You know what, that could be a factor too. It's a CBR 600RR so quite far forward riding position, and I had to push my glasses all the way up to the top of the bridge of my noses so I could view out of the uppermost part of the lens. It did seem a bit stronger looking through up there like that!

Pregnancy could be a possibility, but my chromosomes may disagree.

Vertigo is what you had/have. (Vertigo is dizzyness due to middle ear infection etc.)
Caused by several things. One of them is a miss-sync between eyes and middle ear.
This can be due to infection in the middle ear.
Injury to the middle ear. (A bump on the 'ed.)
Disease of the middle ear (Cancer Shocked Very Happy )
Or an interruption in vision. Blurred focus from lens or a visor with rain droplets on. Same thing that flash photography or spotted pattern causes. Maybe brain related chemical imbalance.

I would go see the Quack ASAP. It is not a thing to be ignored It could strike again any time and the results may not pleasant not just when on a bike.

Doovy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vertigo does seem to be the issue.

Miss-sync between eyes and middle ear eh? I was wearing earphones at the time actually.. if that would make a difference? Surprised

I will make an enquiry to a qualified medical individual. Thanks for all thus far Thumbs Up

tbourner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 07 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doctor will do blood pressure check and take blood for glucose count.
If they're fine they'll probably ask you to come back if it happens again.

My dizzy spells turned out to be panic attacks! Shocked Had to go through a 24hr pressure monitor, bloods and an ECG, they were talking about some kind of brain scan but I never followed it up, went away on its own in the end.

Point is it could be loads of things, but as above you SHOULD get pressure and blood checked, if it's not those I wouldn't worry too much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 116 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2