Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Where to start?...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

j.silvs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:48 - 25 Jan 2014    Post subject: Where to start?... Reply with quote

So I am not going to be commuting anymore and may potentially have a bike to track up.

It may be a while due to some injuries and conditions at present but I am remaining optimistic.

I still want to ride and would love to have a go on the track and turn it into a hobby.

So where shall I start? Are there courses / lessons?

Any particular kit to put on a bike to ensure is good on track or if there is an off then it's at least not totally wrecked?

Al
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've been riding on the road for a while, just book into the novice group (or one of the special novice only days) and give it a go. Some will allow you to have a session with an instructor or you can book race schools, but you are probably better to have done a few trackdays first, otherwise they are just going to be telling you the basics which you'll soon pick up anyway.

Really all you need is a bike and some riding gear, people go really over the top and bring massive motor homes, tons of garage equipment, spare bikes, tyre warmers, generators, mini fridges and all kinds of crap but you don't really any of that stuff. It's a bit like camping, people love to take loads of extra shit Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:36 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

First try it before you start throwing money away on bits and bobs. If you have decent road tyres you can go, no problem.

Book Novice group, you can get your suspension set up for you for about 40 quid during the track day if you want or ride as it is.. often possible to have a session with one of the instructors watching you so they can give you some advice.

If you ride to the track day then take some spare bits is you have them (levers, peg brackets, pegs, indicators - whatever most likely breaks first if you drop it) or rent a van and drive there.

Take tyre pressure gauge and in dry day drop pressures a bit. I usually like 31psi front 29psi rear. During wet td better keep it at pressures like for road use or tiny bit less.

That's pretty much it for your first track day.

EDIT:
Don't book anything until the end of March. Too cold/wet to enjoy it.
Take some gaffer tape and zip ties.

ry johnston
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:02 - 09 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi just been reading through this, do you need an acu liscence or can you buy a day licsense like you can in motocross/enduro

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:12 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

ry johnston wrote:
Hi just been reading through this, do you need an acu liscence or can you buy a day licsense like you can in motocross/enduro

To race you need ACU licence.

To do track days you need full unrestricted A driving licence or ACU licence.

Blue_SV650S
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:46 - 14 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

What riding gear do you have? You will need a full face ACU helmet, full leathers (or 2-pieace zip), gloves and boots.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 45 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1