BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Free DT 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Free DT 125 Reply with quote

So thanks to Paddy, Iain and Nemo it arrived. Really crap weather, but we got there in the end. Down an old farm track heading towards a barn, expecting to get slaughtered, then he dug this out of a cupboard (literally).
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/photo2_zpsea1773c5.jpg~originalhttps://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/photo3_zpsa0a5c219.jpg~originalhttps://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/photo1_zps512ed6fd.jpg~originalAfter some of Paddy's secret recipe premix and a clean of the spark plug, then one almighty back fire that sounded like a shotgun going off, this happened.https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/th_IMG_6165_zpsac007cf9.jpg
It idles fine, revs ok though we didn't rev it that hard. It's got no chain on currently, most of the mechanicals seem ok, Paddy and Iain fap'ing over the state the forks were in. It has no electrics, all removed. But all panels are there, the rear mudguard appears damaged, frame number is intact. Apparently it was stolen, then recovered two years later, it had sat there ever since. No immediate plans, but I'd quite like to get it on the road properly. Then use it as a green laner which I don't need to transport.

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:41 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so need to get my 2smoke sorted out Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:45 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worst photo of me ever, look so displeased Laughing

Very clean bike for being stolen/recovered and chucked in a shed for years. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:48 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know you guys were down my way i'd have popped up!

Bike looks good not sure if it is the same engine as the GPR but if it is a have loads of spares
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine is fine. Appears to be strong enough. I want electrics. A loom is £80 though.
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:16 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I apply for the reg Iain? You did tell me, but I was somewhat euphoric at the time. Ordered a chain from Wemoto. £16.94 delivered Laughing
Thought I'd sling the chain on as it stands and see what state the clutch/gearbox is in. I want to drop the gearbox oil and see what it's like, what can I use temporarily, I've got various engine oil, fork oil.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:18 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

10w40 is better than nothing in the gearbox. Will do it no harm, especially as its what goes in your own gearboxes on your other bikes Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to involve a V55/5, from what I can tell. The link you sent specifically says in the application that you need to know the reg and various other bits. Basically that is to apply for a vehicle that is/or has been on the road recently. So insurance write-off's those sort of things. Or just plain lost documents.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:46 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
You'll get the reg number by HPI'ing the chassis number if its required - I belive it is. Thumbs Up
Link?

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/v888-request-by-an-individual-for-information-about-a-vehicle

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 22:12 - 26 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM/Email Yodi on here, he may be able to do it for you, find the reg that is.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 27 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy has just emailed me with the reg and is looking for the original V5. Also have a couple of pics when he got it.
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/20140126_234638_resized_zps16090ac0.jpg~originalhttps://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/20140126_234723_resized_zpsc8bad4ba.jpg~original

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:50 - 27 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

wotsthestory wrote:
I want electrics. A loom is £80 though.

If you're not into wiring, that might seem like a good deal, for the amount of time and head scratching it could save you.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 27 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
If you're not into wiring, that might seem like a good deal, for the amount of time and head scratching it could save you.
Used to repair computers down to board level back in the day, and I've found a kit for £8 with the associated bullet connectors and boots. So might have a go myself. Especially considering there is very little to wire up. Lights/Horn/Kill etc. most of that should just be standard wiring. Biggest thing for me will be charging circuits but I'm sure I can find that.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:03 - 27 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit, electrics (particularly fault finding) are my least favourite thing, so I would consider 80 quid small beer, if it got me something that matches the available wiring diagrams.

But if you're happy, go for it, as you say, they aren't the most complicated bike in the world.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:08 - 27 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah it's the mechanicals that are my learning curve, so you can imagine how I felt when Paddy kicked it over and it was sounding healthy straight away. That means I just need to service it, clean the carb etc.

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:14 - 27 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the great thing about a two stroke single, you could strip that down to the crank and rebuild it in half a day, if you take it slowly.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 27 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's going to be a great little restoration project, and I really rate the Mk2 DT125LC with it's 12v electrics and a disc brake. I'd say it's a worthy adversary to the MTX125, TS125X and the KMX.

Cosmetically it won't be cheap to make like a show queen if that is your intention, but trail bikes are never cheap to get cosmetics sorted really.

I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress! Thumbs Up

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:42 - 27 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said to someone today, not a restoration, I don't have the patience and the knowhow. I want to put it all back together and get it on the road, cheaply but sympathetically. So keeping it standard where possible, but if I have to cut corners with parts that look different to get it up and running I will.

It'll make a great green laner.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 27 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just won this, 9.99 and no bids. Lists as old DT Loom, not known exact age. From what I've seen much of it seems unchanged for years, I thought I'd have it. Bonus is, it's got some switches too. I can modify to fit, but at least I have something to work with.
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/loom_1_zpsaebc8723.jpg~originalhttps://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/loom_2_zps4a20f732.jpg~original

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 27 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few old wiring looms from scrapped bikes so if there is something missing just ask.

RS Components sell packs of red male and female connectors that I use with a ratchet crimper for modifications to wiring looms.The packs are a lot cheaper from RS than the small packs you see on the shelf of places like Halfreuds.It may well be better to solder two wires together and use shrink wrap around the joint then use self-amalgamating tape to keep everything together.

I have some other DT125LC bits and pieces in my spares box so if you come across something you need then PM me Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 63 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5