Free DT 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:26 - 27 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzer Thou wrote:
I have some other DT125LC bits and pieces in my spares box so if you come across something you need then PM me Thumbs Up
I already did Laughing
I've got all that sort of stuff already, but did order a kit of connectors off eBay for £8

spikenipple
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:50 - 27 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want a job lot of DT125 parts cheap? They're from the same model I'm pretty sure. I can get some pictures if you like. I only really wanted the engine but ended up with almost the whole bike and it's taking up space in my garage.

Forks - decent condition, minimal to no pitting
Yokes
Wheels/tyres/discs/rear hub
Tank
Plastics including new disc guards
Brakes (M/Cs, hoses, calipers)
Some parts of the loom, not entirely sure what
probably more bits......

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:54 - 27 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, where are you?

spikenipple
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 17:53 - 28 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trowbridge, Wiltshire.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:41 - 28 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spikenipple wrote:
Trowbridge, Wiltshire.
PM me further details and we can figure something out.

What is this on the side of the barrel, all the wires have been snipped, it doesn't appear on a MK1 barrel I've seen. The wires are snipped so close I'm not sure I can repair.
https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/Bike/8de5fa74-af1a-437a-b5e7-710e02c58cc7_zps3f2aa22e.jpg~original

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:47 - 28 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that position, I want to say powervalve... but I'm unsure if the LC2 has a PV?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

misscrabstick
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:49 - 28 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

electric power valve servo is my best guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:49 - 28 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
In that position, I want to say powervalve... but I'm unsure if the LC2 has a PV?
My boss, who put me in touch with him, said that he'd modified something with a switch to enable the power valve or something. That might explain that mysterious switch we found.

Also, it's an 87-88 E reg, which may suggest an LC 3? Or just a late 2

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 21:53 - 28 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be that switch.

One way to find out, ride it and see if you get a sudden kick in power. Pull over then flick the switch. If its different in the mid range onwards then you've found the magical switch for power Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 28 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Might be that switch.

One way to find out, ride it and see if you get a sudden kick in power. Pull over then flick the switch. If its different in the mid range onwards then you've found the magical switch for power Laughing
As I mentioned, whatever that is, it's had all it's wires chopped. That may have been the pikey conversion rather than what he did previously. There is more of the loom there than I thought, but a lot has been spliced.

Clutch is fooked, but gearbox is fine, runs up and down through the gears and you can see the sprocket changing speed. Chain arrived, but I'll have to look at the clutch first, there is no feel at the lever.
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:02 - 28 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks similar to this, but this one has a cover, also from what I can tell the colours match, one of those cables is white/red Obviously wrong year, but you see what I mean.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-DT-125-4BL-96-99-POWERVALVE-SERVO-MOTOR-5-WIRE-IN-GOOD-CONDITION-/281212958391?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item41799936b7

https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/Bike/a13c7d23-27db-4c8e-873e-02e4d58b8845_zps66e46a05.jpg~original
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:57 - 29 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of stuff arrived yesterday/today. Other things to arrive in the next few days. In theory everything to make it road legal (with some work), mostly genuine parts with some that are close enough.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 29 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Spikenipple above, just brokered a deal to collect the following on Saturday morning. Really chuffed. Very Happy
https://imgur.com/a/GaVYb

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 30 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no power valve actuator fitted to my DT125LC Mk2 as it was a UK version restricted to 12bhp by locking the exhaust valve into position.I had the barrel off,cleaned everything up with some emery cloth after knife-edging the transfer ports,then locked the exhaust valve half open so as to give maybe 15bhp.With it fully open I was told it might give 20bhp but lose much of the bottom end power.

This is the tank that I have

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Snaps/Picture100.jpg
https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Snaps/Picture101.jpg

Always have a 'Plan B'

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 16:37 - 30 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

wotsthestory wrote:
Thanks to Spikenipple above, just brokered a deal to collect the following on Saturday morning. Really chuffed. Very Happy
https://imgur.com/a/GaVYb

That is quite a find, lots of goodies there to play with Thumbs Up

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 30 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank looks fabulous and in the right colour too, I'll definitely have that off you.

Regarding the power valve, can the whole automatic system be retrofitted, rather than just the fix it open or shut affair.

There is an american guy who has literally stripped a YZ125 and it is so easy, so I might strip clean and powder coat. I wasn't going to do this, because a) I'm impatient and b) I didn't think I'd do a good enough job. It will look fabulous when finished though. Iain's CR hasn't taken that much to do.

Also, I have a swing arm with disc setup (and shortly to have another too) including everything back to the master cylinder and possibly pedal. Would you (could you) fit this or leave as is, on a bike like this I think the drum would be easier to maintain. However, if I changed to disc I'd have two rears with disc, so swap out to knobblies would be easy.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:27 - 30 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you could retrofit the disk stuff, unsure how rear caliper mounts so you might need to use the dedicated swing arm, Fizzer again is probably the guy to confirm. Bloody wizard Laughing

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 30 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to factor in a mount for the rear master cylinder and a bracket for the reservoir.I would stick with the rear drum Thumbs Up

https://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv23/WiNot_Rhencullen/Snaps/2013-05-30200351_zps773b6b4e.jpg

Always have a 'Plan B'

Last edited by Fizzer Thou on 17:32 - 30 Jan 2014; edited 1 time in total

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:29 - 30 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I'm sure you could retrofit the disk stuff, unsure how rear caliper mounts so you might need to use the dedicated swing arm, Fizzer again is probably the guy to confirm. Bloody wizard Laughing
You forget, I got a whole swing arm and rear wheel with disc etc. still assembled

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:41 - 30 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see in Iain's pic above that the brake pedal pivot is in a differant position to the pic that I put up in my post above.

The caliper bracket mounts/slides on a fixture on the inside of the swing arm so would not need a torque arm.

Always have a 'Plan B'

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 30 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master cylinder has a bracket on the frame, on the picture above. A non-starter then, drum it is. I prefer a rear drum on a small engine bike anyway.

Nemo
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:38 - 30 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late posting, still trying to get over iain touching me the whole way in the van...

Looks like you're cracking on with it, shouldn't be much longer till we see a video of it with the ktm and cr Thumbs Up

and me siting on the side line like a pussy

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:43 - 30 Jan 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly giving it a go. Which bikes/models use this engine? I was looking at an Athena 170 kit, and I've seen some pop up in Germany but they list as KTM 125 LC2/DT 125 and also Derbi (I knew about this one).

I'm just looking around at the minute, ideas etc. but a wider choice of compatible parts would help.

I was grass tracking the Monkey bike in someones back garden today, it was great fun, so now want to play with the big boys.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Athena-170ccm-fur-KTM-LC2-Yamaha-DT-125-seht-guter-Zustand-/271387876910?pt=DE_Motorradteile&hash=item3f2ffa5e2e
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 85 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5