BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Free DT 125

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Iain said really, if I outgrow the power, find something else. Also, I haven't got this going yet Very Happy
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:32 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Iain_ wrote:
Covering freinds in mud is always funny. KTM's are good at it, Trials bikes aren't! Laughing

Unless friend stalls and bails into a foot deep puddle after saying "I don't want to get wet"

Oh how we laughed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
_Iain_ This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:44 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brembo is from a later DT, so parts are easy to source. In all honesty the existing caliper is toast as was the master cylinder, I have a replacement single pot already but things looked different on the newer forks. I essentially have a full front end in spares, so I may need to change things around anyway. This weekend I'll be rebuilding the front end as I've got everything for that, including new All Balls bearings for the Yoke. Seals for the forks and various other bits. I also need to assess the various other bearings throughout. Wheel bearings will probably get done anyway, but I need to check the swing arm.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 05 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Iain on the motor advice.

if you get that motor re-built into A1 condition, and get the YPVS system properly working, you will find that the 22bhp will feel nice and nippy I expect.

My KMX125 feels really lively (probably helped by pretty low gearing), but it does feel good for a 125 and pulls nicely.

If once it's running well and bedded in, you want to try an aftermarket pipe, maybe an opened up air box lid or remove the snorkel and re-jet properly with a dyno, that's as much as you'd probably want to do.

If you were hell bent on 30bhp+ then the easiest way IMO would be to source a DT200LC motor, which should slot right in, but probably need the 200 CDI as well as the exhaust and possibly the carb and airbox too?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 07 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an update, forgot the pics today. Was about to paint the yokes, then realised the ones on it were different to the other ones I'd been given. Also the newer forks were thicker too. I checked the wheel which I was going to use and the setup seems slightly different. Also, the good spare caliper bolted straight onto the newer forks. So I've temporarily assembled that front end and it goes together nicely. So I'll use that. Spare clutch arrived, it is the same but has one more plate and is slightly deeper, rear is identical, as Iain has said it was clearly uprated. If it doesn't foul the case it should be fine, remains to be seen though.

Tonight, I'm going through the wiring, as I think I have enough bits to make everything work with a bit of splicing.

Tomorrow, when I've done the ER6 wheel bearings, I'm going to trial fit everything for a rolling chassis so I know which bits to paint.

bezzabsa
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:00 - 09 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

PLEASE don't run the powervalve in OPEN. as you'll need virtually full revs to pull away...will be shit hot, but crap under 9000rpm..

Leave it tatty but standard, and fit a bloody good ground anchor and chain..as you know they're very popular with the local 'yoof'

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 09 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

bezzabsa wrote:
PLEASE don't run the powervalve in OPEN. as you'll need virtually full revs to pull away...will be shit hot, but crap under 9000rpm..

Leave it tatty but standard, and fit a bloody good ground anchor and chain..as you know they're very popular with the local 'yoof'
Kind of with you on the first, variable power valve, or none at all. I want to keep it tidy but relatively standard, not a restoration. It'll be stored securely in a garage so not an issue.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:36 - 11 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

More shiny stuff arrived, started stripping the frame but the ER6 got on the way of proper progress.https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/Bike/BC07426A-E52E-4773-BE7A-39FB1E1B00A1_zpsaspqbig2.jpg~original

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:51 - 11 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience and certainly for on road use...

Power valves are not meant to be manual...
It would be an utter ball ach to constantly have to open/close it IF you could keep up with opening/closing each time you go up through the revs.

My NSR came with the power valve pinned open when I got it, was a nightmare. Had to wind the throttle all the way open to get anywhere and it would pull like a sack of spuds THEN the power band would hit and I would shoot off like an absolute spanner if I didnt get my wrist back round quick enough.

Kills the low/mid more than its worth in my experience.

-Jvr

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:56 - 11 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it is anything like the DTR engine i have a full PV servo and powervalve in the shed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 11 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQL wrote:
if it is anything like the DTR engine i have a full PV servo and powervalve in the shed
Talk to me Wink

In any case, I have been thinking of modifying the existing servo (again once going). A latching circuit linked to the starter button (which is on my switchgear but obviously not used), with a set time open. So power valve would engage fully when you pressed the button for a few seconds which. Once past the middle range, hit the button and bam.

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:26 - 11 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing Ill say is I have no idea if it works as not sure how to test it as bike doesnt run lol, but it all moves freely

Will post pics in a min

https://i.imgur.com/07UZzvp.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zq8T25E.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0GUQDhF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8FuAXGn.jpg

Pics above
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:53 - 11 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, from what I've discovered it needs a feed from a compatible CDI, so a later CDI might make it work. Let me know what you want for that.

SQL
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:07 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might have one of those too but not sure, The servo on ebay is £30-40 on it own so £40 all in?

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:09 - 12 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drop off next time you are up this way? Rolling Eyes

Let me know if you have anything else.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:51 - 15 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you find a way to get the DTR powervalve set up working on your DTLC motor, as it's the only way to go IMO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-dERtGFIR4

This is a vid of a KMX125 showing the powervalve system operating as you would expect during riding, and it also shows why there is no way you can operate a PV manually and make it work like it should.

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:23 - 16 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor update, started the painting. Hammerite Smooth Red is near identical to the colour on it. Here is the first coat, did throw it at it a bit. Left it an hour or so and then attacked it with a pan scourer to get the drips off. Will apply a smoother coat in the next few days.https://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t525/wotsthestory/Bike/FC3CD967-0B93-4EB3-94DD-F65F08406BCE_zpsieispzcf.jpg~original
Brembo caliper is totally off, to be expected. I'll decide what to do when it's back together. Would love to have a rolling chassis next weekend, but the weather recently would suggest this is unlikely to happen Sad

daverwheeler
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 21:10 - 16 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with the Hammerite smooth!!
Check the tin, but you used to have to re-coat within 6 hours, or leave it 6 weeks to cure, or the whole lot pickles up.
I speak from experience!

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:22 - 08 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very minor update, been working on my two other bikes, so this has been delayed. It's got a few bits back on it. But the V5 arrived today, one owner (the guy I got it from) and first registered 01/07/88. Pretty chuffed.

Phil_B
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 21:01 - 08 Apr 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice project, I have a soft spot for the older 2 strokes....happy times Thumbs Up

wots
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:35 - 01 Aug 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkey bikes, fell off the radar, had a problem with the rear shock linkage. Replacement is in my car and ready to go on! Having a bash this weekend.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 9 years, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5