Cagiva Planet

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

noknowlwdgene...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 20:52 - 08 Feb 2014    Post subject: Cagiva Planet Reply with quote

Hi guys, (and gals).

I'm desperate for help for my daughters boyfriend. He's foolishly paid over the odds for a Planet, which doesnt charge. A neighbour has told us that an oil seal has failed and contaminated the stator. The regulator was already replaced as he suggested it was suspect.

Now, it seems that spares for this bike are like hens teeth. Can anyone give me some help to locate this item or suggest other manufacturers that use the same parts.

We are working on a budget here, so new parts are not an option.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flumpy7
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 20:58 - 08 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure it shares a lot of parts with the mito which is a much more common bike. Please check though. Thumbs Up

noknowlwdgene...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:04 - 08 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Am also told it might be the same as a Raptor? Cagiva is Itallian, and uses Japanese electricals. Is it fair to assume that Cagiva don't manufacture all their own parts, so assume that they buy in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

flumpy7
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 21:13 - 08 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry no idea. Someone else more knowledgeable might be along soon!

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:21 - 08 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

The Planet was updated and renamed to be the Raptor, and is based on the Mito (which uses the engine from the Freccia). Not sure but would expect the charging systems to be virtually the same on them all.

I wouldn't expect the stator to be fried, but it is possible.

All the best

Keith

noknowlwdgene...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:32 - 08 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again. Freccia is a new name that's been thrown up. I'm a car bloke really. I don't know if the part is fried. I'm going on what i was told: an oil seal has failed and oil has got onto/into the stator and magneto and as a result, the battery wont be recharge. so, once the headlight is used, the demand is greater than the supply. Really appreciate the feedback, pardon my ignorance.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 21:37 - 08 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Charging power isn't that high. I would check that someone hasn't fitted an over power headlight bulb first. Also check with a voltmeter over the battery to see what happens as the revs goes up.

The only seal it would be on that side is the crank seal (it is a 2 stroke, the crank is only lubed by oil fed in with the air and fuel), and minimal oil / fuel would leak from there.

All the best

Keith

noknowlwdgene...
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 21:48 - 08 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again Keith. Will check that in the morning. I cant get my head around why a electrical motor would be rendered useless by oil contamination anyway, once the unwanted conductor is removed, it would work, wouldn't it?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 22:07 - 08 Feb 2014    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Normally yes (and I would expect it to be fine with any contaminant most of the time). Many 4 strokes have the stator subject to oil most of the time.

Possible that the stator could be physically damaged by the rotor if the mains have failed badly. But should be easy to check the circuits with a multimeter.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 10 years, 78 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1